Witnessing death.

KedynCrow

Sep 23, 2009
I've been hunting since I was young. So, animals are a given.

Went to high school in a bad part of a city composed almost entirely of bad parts. Several shootings on campus. Low body-count all told, but one fatality not six yards away.

Joined the military afterward. Death is jarring. But if you let it shake you soul-deep, well, then you tend to spend the rest of your life shaking. When it's personal, it's harder. Otherwise, your lizard-brain sort of anesthetizes you.

You aren't inhuman.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Yup, my uncle. He was already mostly dead anyway(no pun intended), on life support. I'm not profoundly affected or anything. I, as the youngest person in my family, have already come to accept that I'm likely to see all of my family die. Not very cheery to think about, but at least I'm not deluding myself.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
yeah, i've seen a dog get ran over before, long time ago. i was pretty traumatized by it considering it was my fault.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I saw a guy flat line in an Estevan hospital before the doctors called it in. I was 2 at the time so I did not understand it till I was 3 watching an episode of ER.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
kittii-chan 300 said:
brandon237 said:
No person, but I have seen my pets being euthanized, most of them actually, it is horrible :( The cat I had known my entire life, there on the cold table, horrible. I kept thinking that the cat was still in the house for almost 2 years afterwards, it was upsetting to realise I was wrong ever time :(
i got home from school and was told that my cat had bee n put down and i felt fine for awhile but then I saw a shape that looked like my cat. as i looked closer it was just a black jacket thrown over some boots and it hit me super hard and i was crying for almost an hour nonstop.

OT: my best freind died a long-ish time ago infront of me which i really dont want to talk about. but hat hit me hard straight away and i had to go to a phsycologist for a while.
Ow, shame, I know that feeling, I thought one of my cats was going to die in the last few weeks, had feline leukaemia and it had reached his brain, I cried a lot and he was still alive, but he is better now and beyond the laws of nature he is well and with us (he is the feistiest, strongest little kitteh you ever saw, and after what he has survived, that is no joke)

Tentickles

Oct 24, 2010
I watched my father fall ill, get diagnosed with a brain tumor then die within the span of 2 weeks. He died when I was 18. I wasnt very close to him but his death hit me so hard I dropped out of school and didnt do anything for nearly 4 years. For two years after his death I was pretty much a shut in. To say I didnt handle it well is an understatement.

(edit)The worst part was having to see him in the hospital, all weak with tubes coming out of him. Crap now im gonna cry.

I also saw a motorcyclist's head get severed at the neck by an 18 wheeler when I was 15. It was very odd to see just a helmet leaking blood onto the street with his motorcycle and body about 30 feet away. Didnt really effect me in anyway though.

deus-ex-machina

Jan 22, 2010
Saw my dad die, but it was in a hospital bed and he wasn't going to be waking up. It was a case of turning off the life support and being there for his last few moments. I've come across a couple of people who have hated what I did. But his kidneys and liver had failed him and throughout his life he had said he didn't want to be 'vegetable'. It was unsettling. But it wasn't a vicious death so I don't know how it would compare to the OP.

Can't say it scarred me. I miss him as we were pretty close.

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
Ghengis John said:
How old was the woman?
I'm not sure. My best estimate would be mid 50s.

EDIT: According to the news report, she was 54.

TheAceTheOne said:
Random, trivial question to the OP: Did you do anything to help the woman?
There was nothing to do. A large chunk of her skull landed right next to me, and I saw the brain matter coming out of her head when I glanced at the body. Not to mention all of the people that were rushing over to the body, and considering I have absolutely no medical knowledge whatsoever, I figured I'd just stay out of the way.

LuckyClover95 said:
I haven't, but it isn't right that it didn't phase you 'one bit'. I can understand if it didn't traumatize you etc, but didn't bother you one bit? You saw her and wasn't shocked or scared, you didn't go home and think about what you saw? You don't feel sorry for her?
I thought about it all day, but as to feeling shocked, or scared, or sorry, no, I didn't. I felt no different than before it happened. I like to think I'm not without compassion, but I don't know if my sympathies, or condolences mean much if I don't actually feel sorry. Quoting Alucard 11189:

Alucard 11189 said:
if it was a friend or a loved one, you might feel differently.
and he's right, I definitely would feel differently.

Ajna

Doublethinker
Mar 19, 2009
Xeros said:
Simple question: Have you ever seen someone die with your own eyes? How did you react?

While walking to my friend's house yesterday morning, I watched a woman get hit by car, fly 10 feet in the air, and slam into the ground. This happened not even 5 feet in front of me, and the piece of her skill with her hair attached to it landed even closer. My friend's and I have made countless jokes, and mockeries on the subject of death. In fact, it was one of the ways I'd coped with the death of my best friend. However, until now, I'd never witnessed death with my own eyes. Surprisingly, and even somewhat worryingly, it didn't phase me one damn bit.
Worryingly my ass. I don't give a fuck about death, though I try to pretend to for the sake of people who do.

My dog died while sitting next to me. I saw a guy get his head run over by a car tire from about fifteen feet away, and I saw a chick who was known for having mental issues dive in front of a car on the highway (not sure if she actually died, but I think so). I also saw a suicide live on a webcam, but don't know if that counts.

In the words of Reggie Watts: I. Just. Don't. Give. A. Fuck.

Anaklusmos

Jun 1, 2010
My brother watched a cat get run over, he was 10 or something, for days he couldn't stop talking about how it's eyes popped out of it's skull. I haven't witnessed anyone dieing, but I did watch the events that led up to a death. Some children were throwing snowballs at cars, one dude was driving to get a chip in his windshield repaired, one child made a snowball with rocks inside of it, he threw it, the windshield smashed, guy swerves crashes into the school gate. I think he survived, the driver, but he ran over a child who was rushed to hospital and died.

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
SckizoBoy said:
I haven't seen anyone die...

But, I witnessed the accident that killed my first girlfriend. And I reacted by going crazy...

EDIT: I really need to find some cheery threads to post in...
It's okay. I promise.

I heard a plate breaking. She was washing it. I freak out every time I hear plates break.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
MasterOfWorlds said:
I think we all wish we had the kind of balls to get through that like you.

I'm sure I'd be a giant wreck about it and not take care of my family like you did.

OT:Can't say I really have. I've been kind of lucky so far with family deaths, none of my immediate family have died.

I volunteer at the Ronald McDonald house, and I'm often around really sick kids. A large handful who don't make it.

Sometimes it really does kinda get real over there.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
deus-ex-machina said:
Saw my dad die, but it was in a hospital bed and he wasn't going to be waking up. It was a case of turning off the life support and being there for his last few moments. I've come across a couple of people who have hated what I did.
Fuck em. You did the humane thing.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I once watched a dear jump on to one of those spiked metal fences. Poor thing was bleeding all over...

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
Depends how much detail is required to class as witnessing someone die. I've seen two plane crashes, a total of three people die, and I've seen an old woman literally run over by a bus.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I am a paramedic, and have seen some pretty bad stuff over the last few years. A few weeks ago I had a 10 year old girl that was hit by a car. When we got called we didn't know it was a small girl. We found her in a pool of blood, there was no way she was going to live, but when I put her on our monitor she had pulseless electrical activity and I had to start CPR in the street for a victim that was not going to live. We worked her for about 30 minutes and ended up calling her time of death. Every bone in her body was broken and she was completely smashed up. I didn't sleep for a week.
It is my job and I deal with death all the time, but sometimes it is very hard. When it is an older person it can be a lot easier, but I still think about it for a little bit. People need more respect for life. It is very fragile and can be taken away at any moment for any reason.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
Tdc2182 said:
deus-ex-machina said:
Saw my dad die, but it was in a hospital bed and he wasn't going to be waking up. It was a case of turning off the life support and being there for his last few moments. I've come across a couple of people who have hated what I did.
You did nothing wrong.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
a few times. actually, more then a few. Most were people that died after a particularly rough fight, and didnt want to die alone while the ambulance was one the way. Its not a pleasant thing really, but its somewhat... fulfilling, to know that you stayed with someone so they didnt die alone.

Though probably the only death i'm glad I never saw was my friend when he committed suicide. Had all 12 of us over, and while we wiated int he other room, he shot himself in the head and stabbed himself at near the same time. But then again, he was suffereing from some kinda cancer, and there wasnt much hope. His life was always pain, and the cnacer made it worse,s o we were just glad that he could do soemthing on his own terms.