Wolfenstein Leaked Online

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
SuperFriendBFG said:
headshotcatcher said:
Nimbus said:
headshotcatcher said:
Why can't they just put a little bit of identification code in every prerelease copy so they can at least sue the heck out of whoever leaks it? I mean weren't Sims 3 and Demigod big enough examples already? :S
Maybe because that's totally impractical and probably wouldn't work anyway?
Open code, put #0001 in it, send to first person and note the name. Open second code, put #0002 in it, and so on and so on.. (There are probably programs for that as well so yea
You seem to be oblivious to the QA process. One build is sent to the QA team, they then make multiple copies on whatever platform and distribute each one to the testers. Of course most test teams have a numerical code on the DVD itself that identifies it and each tester must sign out a copy.

They keep any superfluous code and DRM out of pre-release builds to ensure that the product will function on its own. Going in and manually adding comments on the code before compiling your builds would be a huge waste of time and resources. Game Companies area already having financial issues as it is. The last thing they need is a time consuming system that slows down the entire QA process.

Also, the person who leaked the build will most likely get caught if it was done internally.
My bad I guess, assumed it was the prerelease to the press sorry :)

hansari

May 31, 2009
headshotcatcher said:
But if they put that code in they can sue whoever leaked it for the money they lost..
In addition to what SuperFriendBFG said, you might also want to consider how well legal action has gone against other pirate friendly websites.

Ex. Pirate Bay pays over 3 million...and then continues to exist!! [http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090417/0129274535.shtml]

Do you know why? Because the money they earn via their website is WAY MORE than any lawsuit the entertainment industry can muster...

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
headshotcatcher said:
***snip for space***

My bad I guess, assumed it was the prerelease to the press sorry :)
That`s also possible.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
hansari said:
headshotcatcher said:
But if they put that code in they can sue whoever leaked it for the money they lost..
In addition to what SuperFriendBFG said, you might also want to consider how well legal action has gone against other pirate friendly websites.

Ex. Pirate Bay pays over 3 million...and then continues to exist!! [http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090417/0129274535.shtml]

Do you know why? Because the money they earn via their website is WAY MORE than any lawsuit the entertainment industry can muster...
I meant stuff like game magazines who let the prerelease build slip..

ActualOvaltine

Jul 1, 2009
I believe it is funny when people openly admit to pirating something. Kind of like masturbation, just do it on your own time. You do not need to tell the world.