Wolverine Movie Delay Will Be Short, Says Jackman

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Wolverine Movie Delay Will Be Short, Says Jackman

The latest cinematic outing for everyone's favorite metal-boned Canadian won't just settle for just any old director, says the movie's star.

The upcoming Wolverine movie suffered a pretty significant setback this month when director Darren Aronofsky walked away [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108567-Director-Pulls-Out-of-The-Wolverine-Fox-Scrambling-for-Replacement ] from the project, saying that he didn't want to be separated from his family for such a long time. But despite lacking anyone at the helm, star Hugh Jackman says that the film is still going ahead, and should only be delayed for a little while.

Aronofsky's vision for the movie, simply titled "The Wolverine," was a standalone movie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105285-Next-Wolverine-Movie-Throwing-Continuity-Out-the-Window ], unrelated to the previous X-Men films, or X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The film was set in Japan, and told the story of Wolverine falling for a Japanese woman named Mariko Yashida, the daughter of a Yakuza boss. "[Aronofsky] would have made a great film," Jackman said. "But it wasn't the right time for him personally."

Jackman seemed upbeat about the problem, saying, "All we need to do is find a new director," he added. "But we won't settle for anyone who isn't as good as Darren." Jackman had previously described [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104566-Hugh-Jackman-Promises-Meatier-Thought-Provoking-Wolverine-Sequel ] The Wolverine as "meatier and more thought provoking" than your average superhero movie, and hopefully that's something that will still be true regardless of who takes over.

Unfortunately, a new director isn't the only problem that the production has to overcome, as it may need to find a new shooting location in a hurry. The movie was originally going to be shot in Tokyo, but after the recent earthquake in Japan, that's far from a sure thing. "That's in limbo as well," Jackman said. "Who knows what the situation is on the ground?"

The Wolverine was supposed to come out this year, but with all the problems, it seems rather unlikely now. Hopefully Jackman is right and the movie is only delayed a short while, as a thought provoking superhero movie sounds like a real treat.

Source: Hero Complex [http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/03/30/hugh-jackman-on-wolverine-director-search-we-wont-settle/]

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
wow, u know what, xmen 1,2,3 was all good for me, but xmen origins was just a piece of crap, the only good character was sabertooth, and he didnt even look like the origonal sabertooth.

Nexus4

Jul 13, 2010
Wolverine is soooo damnnn booringgg, I personally don't see the appeal in him.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
roll on them doing a film based on Mr Sinister and Apocalypse (though there was a rumour Mr Sinister may be in First Class)

Origins wasn't as good as i'd hoped, Gambit was awesome and should have been more involved but that was about it.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
PureChaos said:
roll on them doing a film based on Mr Sinister and Apocalypse (though there was a rumour Mr Sinister may be in First Class)

Origins wasn't as good as i'd hoped, Gambit was awesome and should have been more involved but that was about it.
Apocalypse would be awesome, but of all the characters in the marvel universe I wanna see a film done about

The Hulk. Specifically Planet Hulk or World War Hulk. That would be awesome as far as I'm concerned

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
gibboss28 said:
PureChaos said:

Apocalypse would be awesome, but of all the characters in the marvel universe I wanna see a film done about

The Hulk. Specifically Planet Hulk or World War Hulk. That would be awesome as far as I'm concerned
what about the 2 Hulk films that have been done? not seen them but heard they were pretty bad

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
PureChaos said:
gibboss28 said:
PureChaos said:

what about the 2 Hulk films that have been done? not seen them but heard they were pretty bad
The second one with Edward Norton wasn't that bad, but the first one....hoooboy, was it shit.

Di'kut

Mar 28, 2011
They could cancel the movie for all I care. I've always thought Wolverine to be the least interesting, or at least one of the least interesting characters in all of the Marvel Universe.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I disagree with the sentiment that Wolverine is "boring," but I do believe that he is way overrated. With his main two nemeses from the comics already dead in the movies, I'm having trouble seeing where this will go. Oh, I remember now, it's a reboot. Lovely.

I'm glad Jackman is upbeat about the whole thing, but it's never a good sign when the lead actor is more enthusiastic than the director, especially when there isn't one.

Nashidar

Jun 2, 2010
Interesting that they say its "unrelated" to Origins or the previous films.

Couldn't they still relate it to the previous and take it in the direction they wanted?

This whole "reboot" mode that Hollywood has gotten itself into is starting to get very annoying.

Marvel did this with X-Men comics - which is why there ended up being too many comics and too many timelines to keep track off - when they finally decided to bring everything back and make it all simple again.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Is it just me who smirked a bit on the fact that Logan is the one writing about Wolverine? :p

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Jackman said Origins wouldn't suck too, and it sucked...a LOT.

They took my favorite comic book/x-men character (hell, I even named my dog Logan) and are bastardizing him for a buck. I don't like it.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Nashidar said:
Interesting that they say its "unrelated" to Origins or the previous films.

Couldn't they still relate it to the previous and take it in the direction they wanted?

This whole "reboot" mode that Hollywood has gotten itself into is starting to get very annoying.

Marvel did this with X-Men comics - which is why there ended up being too many comics and too many timelines to keep track off - when they finally decided to bring everything back and make it all simple again.
I absolutely love the Wolverine character, have been reading the comics since issue #1, and let me tell you.... Origins was a TERRIBLE Wolverine movie. If there is one instance where a reboot and complete disconnect from something is completely warranted, it's right here, right now.

Would it have been better if Origins was just made properly so this could be a proper sequel? Yes, absolutely.

But if this new movie is going to succeed, it needs to pretend Origins was directed by a 5 yr old about an entirely different character who shares nothing but the name of Wolverine. First time I've seen a film where I ended up jealous of the amnesiac on screen. X(

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
If they're not filming in Japan anymore, then why not try and get Aronosfki back? Have everything on his terms.

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
Aronofski probably didn't quit because of it being far away from his hometown. When Aronofski agreed to the job, he probably would have realized how much time he would have needed to be away from home, so this was all probably because of Fox trying to interfere with his vision.