Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
From what is known so far, I dont think she should go to jail. I'd imagine all the other consequences of the failed stunt will be more than sufficient punishment. Loss of a partner, child likely messed up, etc.
Imma need a clarification. Do you mean she should face no legal punishment? Or just that going to jail is too extreme of one?
Saelune said:
Ultimately, I think any legal punishment should be on the basis of how it effected her kid(s). The guy essentially consented to his own death, so I think it is unfair to punish her for murder, even manslaughter. Manslaughter is for accidentally killing people who DONT ask to have a gun fired at them.
I'd still say that she deserves to go to prison. Maybe not too long--just a week or so--but as long as it's just a few days, nobody can complain that it's too harsh. The guy asked him to do something super-dangerous, and she knew it was risky. She still chose to do it. Yeah, he asked for it, but anybody who asks for it is by definition not sane enough to be in charge of his own life.

It's like if a toddler asked her to do it.
Saelune said:
I still dont think putting her in jail will serve any positive purpose.
Plus it wasnt a toddler. It was an adult man who she presumably trusted. Im sure many of us had times where someone asked us to do something to them and you thought "I probably shouldnt" and they say something like "Naaaah, it will be fine, trust me." He asked her to, but doing it was still her choice and her choice only. She's the only one who pulled the trigger.

It just doesnt usually end in death.
Yeah, but she still chose to fire an extremely powerful handgun at a person without first reading up on if it was dangerous or not. She chose to take his word for it instead of actually doing some research.
He consented.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Saelune said:
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
From what is known so far, I dont think she should go to jail. I'd imagine all the other consequences of the failed stunt will be more than sufficient punishment. Loss of a partner, child likely messed up, etc.
Imma need a clarification. Do you mean she should face no legal punishment? Or just that going to jail is too extreme of one?
Saelune said:
Ultimately, I think any legal punishment should be on the basis of how it effected her kid(s). The guy essentially consented to his own death, so I think it is unfair to punish her for murder, even manslaughter. Manslaughter is for accidentally killing people who DONT ask to have a gun fired at them.
I'd still say that she deserves to go to prison. Maybe not too long--just a week or so--but as long as it's just a few days, nobody can complain that it's too harsh. The guy asked him to do something super-dangerous, and she knew it was risky. She still chose to do it. Yeah, he asked for it, but anybody who asks for it is by definition not sane enough to be in charge of his own life.

Saelune said:
Plus it wasnt a toddler. It was an adult man who she presumably trusted. Im sure many of us had times where someone asked us to do something to them and you thought "I probably shouldnt" and they say something like "Naaaah, it will be fine, trust me." He asked her to, but doing it was still her choice and her choice only. She's the only one who pulled the trigger.

Yeah, but she still chose to fire an extremely powerful handgun at a person without first reading up on if it was dangerous or not. She chose to take his word for it instead of actually doing some research.
He consented.
That doesn't really change anything. I'm sorry, if someone consents for me to run them over in a car, I've still committed manslaughter if I do it. I'm not saying she should go to jail for the rest of her life, but she still did wrong.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
Saelune said:
The point of imprisonment is to separate the normal society from idiot's like these. I doubt anyone would be very comfortable living next to someone who thinks it's OK to shoot people.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
First impression: "A big encyclopedia could stop certain - DESERT EAGLE WTF YOU %#^&@$$!"

Renegrade said:
Oh well - maybe we have a new Darwin Award winner for this year..
The Darwin Awards don't actually accept gun deaths, no matter how stupid. It's just too common.

Saelune said:
He consented.
That gets her off of a murder charge. It doesn't mean that it was legally acceptable behavior on her part. I'm a proponent of the "There are no accidents with firearms" approach. You take a loaded firearm and point it at someone you're not trying to kill, you have already f'd up so badly that you should not be exonerated from the consequences of your actions, regardless of whether you claim it's unintentional. She intentionally fired a gun at someone, and as a direct consequence of that act, they died. Criminal gross negligence - e.g. manslaughter - is very much in order.

And no, of course it won't help her, but as a deterrent? We need to make it clear that screwing around with firearms isn't acceptable behavior. Follow the safety rules or be held responsible for what happens when you don't. Period.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
munx13 said:
Saelune said:
The point of imprisonment is to separate the normal society from idiot's like these. I doubt anyone would be very comfortable living next to someone who thinks it's OK to shoot people.
Actually, the point of imprisonment is supposed to be rehabilitation in order for the person to return to society and contribute in whatever way they can. In this case, I doubt the woman would even be willing to touch a gun again. There's nothing to rehabilitate here. Prison would be pointless. If punishment is required (and it is), community service of some sort would be preferable in my mind for this particular case.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Prison is typically described as being for four things: rehabilitation (although frankly that's more than a little neglected in the U.S.), incapacitation, retribution (not so much a goal in itself but as a sublimation to keep vigilantes from feeling the need to take matters into their own hands), and deterrence.

IMO deterrence alone is worthwhile in this case. Allowing firearm "accidents" to go unpunished is a terrible precedent that we need to avoid.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Saelune said:
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:

Saelune said:

He consented.
Yeah, but we can all agree that he did not give informed consent.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
lacktheknack said:
.50 calibur pistol vs. book.

Do... do these people not have YouTube...?

Like, first result was this...

<youtube=G7-9FlQ9OU4 start=151>

Yeah, it's not a pistol, but it's .50 calibur and was fired from much further away, and still went through an unnerving number of phonebooks.
Granted the bullet caliber is the same, but the actual grain count is much higher equating to more power behind it. It really isn't always the size of the round, but rather the kinetic energy behind it/composition of said round. However, even a .50 handgun round such as the type for a DEagle is overpowered for use against humans. There's such a thing as too much stopping power, and in terms of military, according to certain treaties on the rules of war, .50 cal rounds are actually not supposed to be used on people but rather vehicles/equipment. Then again, there are ways around that too...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Saelune said:
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:

Saelune said:

He consented.
I fail to see how that's relevant.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Saelune said:
Eh, while jail is a bit of a stretch in some ways, we're talking about people that have proven to be too stupid to raise their kids safely. If nothing else, the kids need to be taken for a few months pending some manner of extensive gun safety course.

I mean, this isn't a paint bucket left on the ladder that caused the guy to trip on the way down and smash his head open, this is a gun. Whether it was on purpose or not, it's a weapon purposefully being aimed at someone and fired. That demands more than a slap on the wrist and "oh, you've suffered enough already you poor dear".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
anthony87 said:
They forgot the words of Heavy Weapons Guy.

That's it; this contest is over! You've won the thread!

Nothing else needs to be said; they were too dumb to live.

kitsunefather

Verbose and Meandering
Nov 29, 2010
Saelune said:
The guy essentially consented to his own death, so I think it is unfair to punish her for murder, even manslaughter. Manslaughter is for accidentally killing people who DONT ask to have a gun fired at them.
As stupid as it is, in most states, suicide (or the attempt at least) is a crime, as is an attempt to assist, which is generally attributed as a manslaughter charge. The charge is generally a "you killed someone but you didn't intend to or didn't do so with malice" charge. As such, it's actually refreshing that they aren't jumping to murder or some other charge first.

All that said, while I partially agree with your earlier sentiment that this really isn't something to send someone to jail over, I wonder at what point is that line, where stupid actions leading to unintentional death get a pass?

"Crash Test" stunt, where the participants get into a car, buckle up, and drive at high speed into a concrete barricade. Both agree beforehand, but are certain the seat belts and air bags will save them. Passenger dies, does the driver get a pass?

My main thing is, really, this isn't some horrible accident. She pointed a weapon known for its power at a person and pulled the trigger, without any attempt to look into the safety of the situation. They obviously did no research, consulted with no one as to the safety; simply had an idea and did it. While I don't think she necessarily needs to spend years in prison, I don't know how comfortable I am with the precedent set by saying "you feel bad and made a mistake, so you're free to go" when someone dies.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
munx13 said:
Saelune said:
The point of Prison -should be- to rehabilitate those who can, and keep away those who cant, ie mob bosses and mass murderers. Putting her in jail would serve no positive. It would just ruin even more people. She isnt some mass shooter, nor was she even the instigator.

Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:

Saelune said:

He consented.
Yeah, but we can all agree that he did not give informed consent.
He isnt going to jail and I think that is unfair to her. He is dead, but he is the one most guilty from what is known. I kind of hate how people have a weird bias infavor of the dead even when the dead were the bigger idiots.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
kitsunefather said:
Saelune said:
The guy essentially consented to his own death, so I think it is unfair to punish her for murder, even manslaughter. Manslaughter is for accidentally killing people who DONT ask to have a gun fired at them.
As stupid as it is, in most states, suicide (or the attempt at least) is a crime, as is an attempt to assist, which is generally attributed as a manslaughter charge. The charge is generally a "you killed someone but you didn't intend to or didn't do so with malice" charge. As such, it's actually refreshing that they aren't jumping to murder or some other charge first.

All that said, while I partially agree with your earlier sentiment that this really isn't something to send someone to jail over, I wonder at what point is that line, where stupid actions leading to unintentional death get a pass?

"Crash Test" stunt, where the participants get into a car, buckle up, and drive at high speed into a concrete barricade. Both agree beforehand, but are certain the seat belts and air bags will save them. Passenger dies, does the driver get a pass?

My main thing is, really, this isn't some horrible accident. She pointed a weapon known for its power at a person and pulled the trigger, without any attempt to look into the safety of the situation. They obviously did no research, consulted with no one as to the safety; simply had an idea and did it. While I don't think she necessarily needs to spend years in prison, I don't know how comfortable I am with the precedent set by saying "you feel bad and made a mistake, so you're free to go" when someone dies.
Suicide should not be a crime though. And I operate of what is right, not what is law, since Justice and Law arent synonyms.

As I said above, I think it is unfair that the guy gets out of the more severe punishment by being dead. (Presuming there is no hell for idiots).

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
@erttheking: I think if someone consents to you running them over with a car, you should not be punished.

@Redrhyno: I am saying that Jail as a punishment serves no positive in this case. If there is a proper punishment for it beyond the repercussions of losing her partner etc, that jail is not it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Saelune said:
@erttheking: I think if someone consents to you running them over with a car, you should not be punished.
Whatever you think of it, it's illegal.

Regardless of intent, she could've chosen not to shoot her bae point blank with a hand cannon. Her negligence resulted in his death and she must be tried for it. Court will probably be lenient on her because she's preggers and a few other mitigating factors, but she deserves whatever the court comes up with.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Saelune said:

@Redrhyno: I am saying that Jail as a punishment serves no positive in this case. If there is a proper punishment for it beyond the repercussions of losing her partner etc, that jail is not it.
In a lot of ways it's not simply about rehabilitation but harm prevention. May sound draconian, but sometimes you need to throw the book at people. For example, Australia isn't as gaol happy as the U.S., but I would be surprised if she wouldn't have received a longer term of imprisonment simply because we are talking about multiple gun related felonies.

She broke the law pointing a loaded gun at people, and while one might claim mens rea is lacking ... at the same time she should definitely not be in civil society if that were the case. So involuntary detention on possible medical grounds, or involuntary detention based on felonious action. Pick your poison.

You can't just let people go whenever someonesays; "They asked me to do it." You are still treated as an agent of your own destiny.

I'm not a fan of mandatory minimums, but I draw the line at grievous bodily harm/death resulting from gross negligence. Sometimes you just gotta gaol someone as an example relative to the cost in human life and dignity.

Of course I would make the argument that people should seriously look into gun control, and just make it a flat out felony to begin with necessitating involuntary detention. You know ...makes life easy, and stops people being natural contenders for the Darwin Award to begin with.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Saelune said:
Whatever you think of it, it's illegal.

Regardless of intent, she could've chosen not to shoot her bae point blank with a hand cannon. Her negligence resulted in his death and she must be tried for it. Court will probably be lenient on her because she's preggers and a few other mitigating factors, but she deserves whatever the court comes up with.
And in my very first post I said -should-. I did not say will.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Saelune said:

Please quote me properly.

That wouldn't fly in a court of law, as someone giving you permission to do that isn't legal permission to kill someone. The person in question clearly had impaired judgement, and if I were to go along with it, my own judgement would be equally impaired.