Woman charged with Manslaughter after stun went very wrong

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
Leg End said:
I'm also taking a nap before I am compelled to start screaming SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED at the top of my lungs in text form over and over until I pass out.
Will you also be yelling WELL REGULATED or will you be ignoring that part?

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
TechNoFear said:
Will you also be yelling WELL REGULATED or will you be ignoring that part?
Read the following image. Not the point you're attempting to argue, but still provides an understanding of what Well Regulated means and kills the State Militia argument as well.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
Leg End said:
Read the following image.
To match the punctuation of the 2nd amendment it should read;

A well balanced breakfast, being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food, shall not be infringed.

Which appears to say a well balanced breakfast is the right, not that keeping and eating food is the right.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Leg End said:
Read the following image. Not the point you're attempting to argue, but still provides an understanding of what Well Regulated means and kills the State Militia argument as well.
Eh, I understood "bear arms" to mean military service, not merely possessing weapons. In which case restrictions on military service are unconstitutional.

But, there's nothing in the Second Amendment to say that states can't have other laws guaranteeing the right to own weapons, so I don't see why that really matters.

s3cur1tr0n

Aug 5, 2008
Of course she should be put in jail. If the he shot her, this wouldn't even be a question..... Furthermore she should get the death penalty so those genes are removed from the pool.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
s3cur1tr0n said:
Of course she should be put in jail. If the he shot her, this wouldn't even be a question..... Furthermore she should get the death penalty so those genes are removed from the pool.
Okay, let's relax it there with the death penalty bit.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Saelune said:
Happyninja42 said:
Saelune said:
From what is known so far, I dont think she should go to jail. I'd imagine all the other consequences of the failed stunt will be more than sufficient punishment. Loss of a partner, child likely messed up, etc.
Reckless Endangerment of a minor (shooting a gun near one); Discharging a firearm in a residential area (most places have laws against that, depending on where they were simply standing, she might've broken a law); Involuntary Manslaughter (acknowledges the accidental, but doesn't mean you get off without punishment), Firing the gun without a license (not sure if she's licensed or not, given it was the guy's idea, I'm guessing he was the gun owner, so she might not even be legal to shoot it.

There are a myriad of laws that she likely broke, regardless of if she intended to kill him or not.
I still dont think putting her in jail will serve any positive purpose.
Certainly not to her or her family. The problem with laws is you can't make exceptions. Not without making some new laws or amendments anyway. If there's anything positive to be gleaned from this, hopefully this will prevent some family in the future from making the same mistake. I've got my fingers crossed there.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
sageoftruth said:
Saelune said:
Happyninja42 said:
Saelune said:
From what is known so far, I dont think she should go to jail. I'd imagine all the other consequences of the failed stunt will be more than sufficient punishment. Loss of a partner, child likely messed up, etc.
Reckless Endangerment of a minor (shooting a gun near one); Discharging a firearm in a residential area (most places have laws against that, depending on where they were simply standing, she might've broken a law); Involuntary Manslaughter (acknowledges the accidental, but doesn't mean you get off without punishment), Firing the gun without a license (not sure if she's licensed or not, given it was the guy's idea, I'm guessing he was the gun owner, so she might not even be legal to shoot it.

There are a myriad of laws that she likely broke, regardless of if she intended to kill him or not.
Certainly not to her or her family. The problem with laws is you can't make exceptions. Not without making some new laws or amendments anyway. If there's anything positive to be gleaned from this, hopefully this will prevent some family in the future from making the same mistake. I've got my fingers crossed there.
The law makes exceptions all the time. Its kind of why we have Juries. Every time a cop gets away with killing someone for example.

And I really doubt it will prevent anything.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Saelune said:
sageoftruth said:
Saelune said:
Happyninja42 said:
Saelune said:

The law makes exceptions all the time. Its kind of why we have Juries. Every time a cop gets away with killing someone for example.

Well, I certainly feel foolish right now, especially considering I work in an office that's full of lawyers. I ran your argument by one of them and the law is as malleable as you stated. I'll make a point to check with them next time I decide to spout off about the law.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
sageoftruth said:
Saelune said:
sageoftruth said:
Saelune said:
Happyninja42 said:
Saelune said:

Well, I certainly feel foolish right now, especially considering I work in an office that's full of lawyers. I ran your argument by one of them and the law is as malleable as you stated. I'll make a point to check with them next time I decide to spout off about the law.
Dont feel foolish. You went and double-checked and accepted you were wrong about something.

And its not like I am a trained lawyer, I just happened to be observant about something.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Saelune said:
sageoftruth said:
Saelune said:
sageoftruth said:
Saelune said:
Happyninja42 said:
Saelune said:

Dont feel foolish. You went and double-checked and accepted you were wrong about something.

And its not like I am a trained lawyer, I just happened to be observant about something.
True. If anything, thanks for pointing out my mistake.