Woman Demands Royalties on Destroyed Jesus Fresco

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Agayek said:
Woodsey said:
Clearly she's got a big, swinging set of balls - you've got to give her that, at least.
Something tells me it's not actually the old lady that's doing it. Judging by what she did, she's likely somewhat addled by age, and since the article says specifically "her family", I think it's a safe assumption that one of her kids/grandkids are the ones pushing the issue.
To be honest, I was just going for the slightly-sickening imagery.

CentralScrtnzr

May 2, 2011
I'm an atheist.

What she did to the painting was absolutely criminal. Doesn't matter if I'm an atheist or not. Destruction of our heritage is criminal.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
this whole situation is disgusting on both ends. i don't even know how to respond to it. careful, participants, your humanity's showing... >.> ugh.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Well, considering how she ruined a priceless piece of art she should be happy she isn't in jail. Why would she deserve royalties when she was being completely pants-on-head-retarded?

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Bobic said:
Nuke_em_05 said:
Less drastic; if I build a shed on your yard without your permission, do I now have ownership of your yard?
Counterpoint: If you build a shed on my yard, and then lot's of people come to see it, and I charge people for viewing your shed, would you not feel entitled to a portion of my proceeds. I am, in fact, making money off of your work, I did nothing to earn it.

Sure, she accomplished this through stupidity, not talent, but it was still her accomplishment. Without her the church wouldn't be making any of this extra money, it doesn't seem that much of a stretch for her to gain some of it.
Additional point: Your yard had significant sentimental value for you and your family (graves or something, I don't know), and this guy came in and destroyed it, replacing it with a money-making machine.

Sure, you get money now, but at a loss of something with real non-monetary value.

As far as I'm concerned, the hypothetical shed-builder isn't entitled to shit, since any money made is just making up for a priceless work being lost.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
chadachada123 said:
Bobic said:
Nuke_em_05 said:
Less drastic; if I build a shed on your yard without your permission, do I now have ownership of your yard?
Counterpoint: If you build a shed on my yard, and then lot's of people come to see it, and I charge people for viewing your shed, would you not feel entitled to a portion of my proceeds. I am, in fact, making money off of your work, I did nothing to earn it.

Sure, she accomplished this through stupidity, not talent, but it was still her accomplishment. Without her the church wouldn't be making any of this extra money, it doesn't seem that much of a stretch for her to gain some of it.
Additional point: Your yard had significant sentimental value for you and your family (graves or something, I don't know), and this guy came in and destroyed it, replacing it with a money-making machine.

Sure, you get money now, but at a loss of something with real non-monetary value.

As far as I'm concerned, the hypothetical shed-builder isn't entitled to shit, since any money made is just making up for a priceless work being lost.
Was something totally priceless really lost though, or was a generic, 1 of a million, Jesus looking off at an angle painting, that no one had heard of, nor cared about, replaced with a painting that became international news?

Methinks, this new 'edit' may also be priceless. At least, ignoring the price of admission the church has added to the painting.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
If she wins her case, i'm doing the same.

*looks up list of ancient artefacts ideally in neglected churches and holy places*

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
You know, I think the forces that be (the universe, fate, god, God, however you may call them) probably have a washed-up comedy writer in charge of everything that involves 'art'.

Captcha: let it be

Let it be, indeed.

Mariahsyn

Nov 30, 2010
She is expecting to get paid for sheer incompetence? Sounds like a good choice political office to me. :p

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
I dunno. Why the hell is a church allowed to charge for admission anyway? Didn't Jesus tear down an entire marketplace once because it was operating on church land? I doubt he'd be too happy about this.

Draxz

May 2, 2012
I think we should just give the poor old lady a gold star with a sarcastic clap. Then given a poster saying "I'm an arrogant ***** and sadly, I don't have enough time on this planet, left to change that!" This isn't personal to me, because I'm Agnostic but the fact she believes she should gain any royalty what-so-ever is just stupid!

This seems more like a cry for attention... Also, I genuinely believe she's stupid. Not because she's old but she has that kind of narrow-mindedness about her, that makes me want to throw a brick at her house. (Not that I would, she might paint the brick and claim royalties about who actually threw the it).

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Let's ignore the fact that she didn't get harshly penalised for the vandalism in the first place.

EclipseoftheDarkSun

Sep 11, 2009
She should just count her lucky stars her hamfisted attempt at repair of a precious art-work didn't result in her being slapped.