women comedians.

mattman106

Aug 19, 2009
I believe most minority comedians (I'm considering women as a minority as there aren't many in stand up) aren't so funny because almost all their jokes are based of their minority status which imo gets real old, real fast. For example Shappi Khorsandi makes tons of jokes to do with being a women or an Iranian; pretty much a one trick horse, Michael McIntyre on the other hand does a variety of jokes so it doesn't get old as fast.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Well, there are some women that are as funny or funnier than most, or even any, men. However, most of the comedians I like, and all my favorites are men. Make of that what you will.

Kevvers

Sep 14, 2008
cartzo said:
FolkLikePanda said:
Have you just been watching QI?
yes, well spotted.
I think on the program they said that to do comedy you have to sometimes make a bit of an arse of yourself and women are generally less willing to do it than men -- could account for the numbers imbalance.

ryderawsome

Apr 23, 2009
there are plenty of good ones they just dont star in as manny bad summer movies so their less noticed. anyways its all uphill from jeff dunham and lee evans from where im standing

MoganFreeman

Jan 28, 2009
EnzoHonda said:
Theory: Women are less-funny overall because it's not as important to men. When describing a perfect mate, women always say "He has to be really funny/make me laugh." Whereas when men describe a perfect woman, it's all about beauty/kindness/compassion and it only matters that she laugh at his jokes, not that she be funny.

This might also explain why most decent female comedians are also lesbians (or so deep in the closet they're finding Christmas presents).
Makes sense. If comedy is a skill useful for attracting females, more men go out of there way to develop it, hence, more man comedians.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
generally I don't find them as funny, but this isn't bad.

most men in lonely hearts ads post having a good sense of humour as being one of their strengths and most women in lonely hearts ads post that they are looking for somebody with a good sense of humour. it's just how we're made. in fact the action of laughing, with the head thrown back and pants of air, is likened very much to an orgasm and is obviously key when we look for a potential mate.

I'd recommend reading Jimmy Carr's book "The Naked Jape" (a funny title, especially when urban dictionary says a jape is a wank with an old sock), provides all sorts of insight on the science and history of humour. also there's a joke on every page (literally).

CincoDeMayo

Dec 17, 2008
I don't think there's any major difference, maybe because there aren't that many female comedians to begin with. Ellen DeGeneres is still one of my personal favorite comedians, and Wanda Sykes-Hall has some funny stuff too unless you're watching her on that stupid "The New Adventures of Old Christine" show.

Of course there are differences, but not for better or worse in my opinion. I think that difference is what makes comedy funny.

Adam

Apr 28, 2009
I think I just happen to find comedians who happen to be women not funny. It's just their material I don't like and im sure if it were blokes doing the same jokes then that would elicit the same reaction from me. But one of my favorite comedians is female, the feminist Jo Brand who appears on shows like QI. Id give her a check you guys, shes funny!

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
sharks9 said:
Most female comedians aren't very funny from what i've seen. Especially Joan Rivers. I want that women to die.

Joan Rivers can't die. She's a plastic alien from the planet Zog.