Wonder Woman Lassos New TV Show After All

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Wonder Woman Lassos New TV Show After All

The Wonder Woman television show thought to be scrapped is back on track at NBC.

David E. Kelley had been shopping around a new Wonder Woman television show concept in recent months, but Warner Bros. had apparently given up [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106794-Warner-Bros-Shelves-Wonder-Woman-TV-Show] on securing a network deal due to widespread rejection. In a surprising move, new NBC entertainment president Bob Greenblatt has ordered a pilot episode of Kelley's Wonder Woman, giving it a new lease of life.

NBC was interested in Wonder Woman previously, but had to turn it down due to being in-between corporate management. Now that Greenblatt is ensconced at the network, Deadline reports he can apparently offer Warner Bros. Television the licensing fee that Kelley required to create the type of show he has in mind.

Kelley calls his Wonder Woman reboot a "huge project" and a "very complicated piece." It follows Diana Prince as the lady behind the corset of Wonder Woman. In Kelley's show, Wonder Woman is a vigilante crime fighter in Los Angeles. Prince is reportedly also a high level corporate executive that has to strike a balance between catching muggers and managing the TPS reports of her underlings. As described, it sounds somewhat similar to the dichotomy between Bruce Wayne and Batman.

Despite his high ambitions for the show, Kelley is confident Wonder Woman will continue to move forward. If Wonder Woman's pilot is good enough, we could see a strong female superhero with her own television series soon. If you ask me, it all hinges on the ability of Warner's special effects crew to create a realistic invisible plane.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/nbc-picks-up-david-e-kelleys-wonder-woman-michael-patrick-kings-drama/]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
LA.

It's so boring and over-used.

Ah, well.

How long until the inevitable Lynda Carter guest-appearance?

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
So it's like the last season of Angel, but with Wonder Woman?

I'm in!

Regarding Lynda Carter, I wonder if she'll play Hippolyta.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Twitten acquired

Wonder what ReCaptcha has me translating.

Any way hope the show will be on Hulu because I stopped watching TV.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
How long until the inevitable Lynda Carter guest-appearance?
MMM.. Lynda Carter. That woman is still highly attractive and in my opinion she could still play Wonder Woman better than anyone else.

OT: Hopefully they'll put their best foot forward to make this show interesting and not corny. I've got my fingers crossed.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
"Prince is reportedly also a high level corporate executive that has to strike a balance between catching muggers and managing the TPS reports of her underlings."

This sounds like a terrible idea, but I guess it was the only dramatic setting they could think of to keep the stage to one large city.

And... Is wonder woman having some kind of facial inflammation in that picture? :(

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
So she's not an Amazonian?

I can't see a modern Wonder Woman working because there is absolutely no need in the modern world to dress up in that costume. In the past it was because it looks hot, don't question it, traditional Amazonian warrior armour, blah blah blah, but apply modern logic to that and it falls apart.

And if she's not wearing the ridiculous/awesome costume she's not Wonder Woman.

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
This sounds like it will be absolutely terrible. A project that will be 'Lois and Clark' with role reversal.
I predict a story about a woman who has 'made it in a man's world' who has to balance her crime fighting with her 'day job' which, for some reason, has no connection with her hero persona. There'll be an attractive male co-worker who she wants to date but won't as she'll be worried he won't handle dating a strong woman. Blah blah blah, cliché cliché cliché, poorly written female Superman wannabe story.
Superman and Spider-man both have jobs in the media because it gives them a reason to be at the scene of the crime, this WW job scenario just sounds crowbarred in for the sake of 'adult storytelling'.
My only hope is that this is successful enough to warrant a decent feature film, but not enough to end up being the inspiration for said movie.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Why would you take someone with a background in Greek Mythos....and make her fight muggers in LA?

Please..Please just use the damn Mythos for once!, i would honestly prefer seeing her life on the island than in LA

And Wonder Woman has been at her finest on Tv when animated.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
The Batman comparison is the first thing that came to my mind, too.

Personally, I've got a bad feeling about how this project will turn out. Like a case of "be careful what you wish for" where the end result may have people lamenting the inability of the series to get a network the first time around may find themselves wishing that instead the series hadn't gotten a second lease on life.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
CatmanStu said:
This sounds like it will be absolutely terrible. A project that will be 'Lois and Clark' with role reversal.
I predict a story about a woman who has 'made it in a man's world' who has to balance her crime fighting with her 'day job' which, for some reason, has no connection with her hero persona. There'll be an attractive male co-worker who she wants to date but won't as she'll be worried he won't handle dating a strong woman. Blah blah blah, cliché cliché cliché, poorly written female Superman wannabe story.
Superman and Spider-man both have jobs in the media because it gives them a reason to be at the scene of the crime, this WW job scenario just sounds crowbarred in for the sake of 'adult storytelling'.
My only hope is that this is successful enough to warrant a decent feature film, but not enough to end up being the inspiration for said movie.
Unless it's like Power Girl and she's doing it because of some sort of 'Save The Planet With More Than Just Fists' sort of thing.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Welll, I guess it sounds better than the "stranger in a strange land" trope her normal origin would have to follow.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I hope its not the new outfit, whoever designed it must've been trying to get fired. I bet the series will be mostly story driven eps, very little action. They will reason this by saying "Special effects are expensive." While thye might be, its not like Wonder Woman can shoot lasers from her eyes or throw balls of fire.