Wonderful 101 Designer Hideki Kamiya Explains His Game

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Wonderful 101 Designer Hideki Kamiya Explains His Game

You should be very excited for Platinum Games' The Wonderful 101, and here's designer Hideki Kamiya to explain why.

The Wonderful 101 is an upcoming Platinum Games title slated for exclusive release on Nintendo's Wii U console come September 15. It's described as a ... y'know, actually, I think I'll let designer Hideki Kamiya explain things. He was one of the main creative forces behind the awesome Bayonetta, and as designer for The Wonderful 101, Kamiya should have some pretty solid ideas of how his latest title plays out.

"If I had to give a brief description of this game, I would say that it's a simple, pure Action Game in which you become a hero and defeat bad guys," Kamiya states. "It doesn't require a lot of deep thought. It's just that there's a few... well, a LOT... more heroes than in your average game."

"The '101' in the title indicates the number of heroes. The reason we added one number to 100 is that we wanted everyone outside of the TV to become heroes as well. So what kind of actions can you pull off with this many heroes? That's the question we intend to answer in detail from here on out."

Those words come from a new series of blog posts Kamiya is writing for the official Platinum Games website. Throughout the run up to the game's debut, Kamiya plans to explain various aspects of Wonderful 101, while also incidentally promoting Platinum's latest effort.

See, Kamiya knows that since Platinum doesn't have the clout of an Activision or an EA, and because Wonderful 101 is a Wii U exclusive, it doesn't have inherent public awareness. "Most people seem to be going 'Oh, that's that game with the ridiculously large crowd of characters running around, right?' or 'Wait, is that the game where you play as a dog?' or 'Wonderful What? Never heard of it,'" Kamiya writes, before describing such reactions as "perfectly fine" and promising to explain everything over the course of the foreseeable future.

While this first update is rather low on information - that explanation of what Wonderful 101 actually is serves as almost all of the useful text - we plan to keep an eye on the Platinum website for further entries. Kamiya designs the sorts of games that make people involuntarily scream giddy expletives at the on-screen action, so he's earned our attention.

Source: Platinum Games [http://platinumgames.com/2013/07/26/introduction-to-the-wonderful-101-blog/]

Dec 14, 2009
Wait, is that the game where you play as a dog?
>_>

Man, this game is gonna be the tits. It's gonna be the Titspocalypse. I'm just worried that nobody will...

You know...

Buy it -_-

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
>_>

Man, this game is gonna be the tits. It's gonna be the Titspocalypse. I'm just worried that nobody will...

You know...

Buy it -_-
It's Platinum, of course, no-one's going to buy it. Besides the (relative) few of us. But we will be over the moon with it. :D So yeah, Titspocalypse.
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Apparently there's a W101-specific Nintendo Direct coming soon, which will get into the game more.

Cannot fucking wait. This is the game I'm most excited about this year.
Same here, haven't been this hyped for a game for quite some time. :D

I put my faith in you, Kamiya, you wonderful man! I would say don't let me down, but I know you won't.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
>_>

You know...

Buy it -_-
I don't own a Wii-u, so i unfortunately can't purchase it...believe me, if this game was on another console or PC i'd buy it up in an instant.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This is Platinum. This'll be the game where it runs at a smooth, constant 60fps and the gameplay is super fluid. Just like Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta. Seriously, these guys are the shit at engine programming.

P.S. Thanks

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Buy it anyway. Sure you may not be able to play it, but at least you can rest assured that you've done your part to support one of the most original looking new IPs the games industry has seen in years. If this game flops, publishers will just use that as another excuse to avoid making bright new colourful games, and instead rehashing the same dudebro shooters over and over again.

He's the guy who created Devil May Cry, Okami and Bayonetta. There's no way on earth he could fuck this up.
You are good people. You're absolutely right. It'd be used as an excuse from AAA publishers that "Gamers these days clearly just want the same rehashed shitty dudebro shooters! Hurrrrrrr, let's not be original, guys!"

Wait, he made Okami? Sweet! Didn't know that.. As for Devil May Cry.. The first few were his, I think 1, 2 and 3? 4 was passed to someone else, if I'm not mistaken? But that said, at least they had actual style and finesse, unlike Ninja Theory's bastardised, broken/glitchy "reboot".. It lacked any actual style and turned into "just another button-masher". Kinda sad, really. Oh, and the bullshit "story" was completely childish and pretentious.. Earlier DMC's were somewhat immature, but did so in such a way that it was actually funny.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Well I don't even own a Wii-U but I'll be grabbing this when it comes out to support it. (I'm not crazy don;t worry, as I actually plan on getting a Wii-U as well. Just at a later date. Because I don't need this to end up like xenoblade chronicles where I can't find a copy worth less than $100 because I figured I'd "Just wait")

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
>_>

You know...

Buy it -_-
Already preordered it. Can't wait for it.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
I tried to preorder the game but apparently it's not in the system yet at EB Games. I'm so sad. I guess I'll have to try again when I pick up Pikmin 3.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Daystar Clarion said:
>_>

You know...

Buy it -_-
(Raises hand) I WILL!!! It will technically be my first Platinum purchase.

At first I was a bit uninterested with Wonderful 101, but it really has grown on me with all the new info, screenshots, and trailers coming out. I do hope this game does well enough though, it's one of the few games to have really unique look coming out this year.