Wooly Mammoth Blood Found in Siberia

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Wooly Mammoth Blood Found in Siberia

Blood and tissue samples could be used to return wooly mammoths from extinction.

Scientists working in Siberia claim to have found preserved blood and muscle tissue from a Siberian wooly mammoth in the ice. The blood drained from the animal where it then froze into an ice cavity and was preserved -when paleontologists broke the cavity blood flowed out. The team that made the find has a partnership with a team of South Korean scientists who are actively seeking to clone mammoths - if there is any viable DNA in the new samples; it is now a certainty that those scientists will make an attempt to return the mammoth to life. The mammoth's tissue was remarkably well preserved, and according to researchers looked like red, raw meat. The researchers believe that the blood could still flow after being in frozen conditions for so long because mammoth blood must contain some natural antifreeze agent.

[gallery=1529]

"We were really surprised to find mammoth blood and muscle tissue," researcher Semyon Grigoriev told the Siberian Times, "It is the first time we managed to obtain mammoth blood. No-one has ever seen before how the mammoth's blood flows. The approximate age of this animal is about 10,000 years old. It has been preserved thanks to the special conditions, due to the fact that it did not defrost and then freeze again." On the subject of how the mammoth came to be so well preserved, Semyon said that "We suppose that the mammoth fell into water or got bogged down in a swamp, could not free herself and died. Due to this fact the lower part of the body, including the lower jaw, and tongue tissue, was preserved very well. The upper torso and two legs, which were in the soil, were gnawed by prehistoric and modern predators and almost did not survive."

The researchers are calling this find "the best preserved mammoth in the history of paleontology."

Source & Image: Siberian Times, Semyon Grigoriev [http://siberiantimes.com/science/casestudy/news/exclusive-the-first-pictures-of-blood-from-a-10000-year-old-siberian-woolly-mammoth/]

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Oh please dear lord let this happen....

Consequence to the environment and food chains be damned we need us some GIANT FURRY ELEPHANTS!

Stormtyrant

Nov 5, 2011
I know they're in partnership with South Korean scientists and not Northern ones, but I instantly got an image in my head of Kim Jong Un riding a wooly mammoth. Equal parts hilarious and terrifying.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Seeing as half or so of it was eaten/rotted away, couldn't one argue that it isn't "the best preserved mammoth in the history of paleontology."?

Yeah, I know they say that because of the blood, but you know what I mean.

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
It's dead, Jim.

Seariously, I look at that mass of frozen.. something, and it just does not scream Mammoth at me. More like the rock-boring creature from that one Original Star Trek episode.

Please don't clone that. Sounds scary.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Stormtyrant said:
I know they're in partnership with South Korean scientists and not Northern ones, but I instantly got an image in my head of Kim Jong Un riding a wooly mammoth. Equal parts hilarious and terrifying.
Ok, so it's Soviet not Korean, but come on!

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
when it comes to extinct species...my curiosity just screams for cloning lol...
I've learned nothing from Jurassic Park :p

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Cloning mammoths would be awesome!
Imagine that 50 years from now there might even be wild ones living in Canada or Scandinavia...

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
I have one thing to say: Mammothburgers.

It'll take a couple of generations to get a population going, but once they become economically viable, shut up and take my money.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
It's only a matter of time before someone makes a theme park with mammoths in it, and they kill everyone. Pliocene Park... I can see it now. Glorious.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
This can only lead to good things like... MAMMOTH BACON! I can see it now. Prime Norwegian mammoths raised overlooking the majestic fjords by beautiful viking maidens. No mammoth cheese though, we don't want to attract giants.

CyberMachinist

Oct 8, 2012
IF they actually manage to clone one..... Then i got only one thing to say.......

Armored Mammoth Tanks!

looks like someone beat me to it......

but still think of the awesomeness of a mammoth picking up a car and chucking it at tanks.

As long as they not as easily scared as elephants.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
OT: Best preserved Mammoth in history? Wasn't there that story that found a completely frozen baby Mammoth that was so perfectly preserved that it still had what it ate that day in its stomach?

I remember hearing about that but I could be wrong...
I believe you are referring to this.

OT: While we're on the subject of cloning giant war elephants, I'll take the LOTR ones myself.

Technically that would require a lot of tinkering in the labs, but that'd still be awesome. Just keep them away from any elves.