Wooly Mammoth Clones a Possibility

ISearchForTraps

Jun 22, 2009
If it can be done, I say absolutely. There is alot of evidence to suggest that primitive humans greatly contributed to the extinction of the Mammoth. We have some responsibility to that and if we can bring the species back, even if through genetic manipulation, we should do it. Anyone who says otherwise, I welcome your arguments against this.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Can someone tell me; If we are this close to efficient cloning, why aren't we cloning the almost extinct elephants?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Realitycrash said:
Can someone tell me; If we are this close to efficient cloning, why aren't we cloning the almost extinct elephants?
Heh, yeah, why waste the resources to bring back an extinct elephanty thing, while the ones we have now are going extinct anyway?

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
I don't want Wooly mammoth clones. The world doesn't have enough pies to sustain them...

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Let me put it this way.

Is there an enviromental benefit to cloning wooly mammoths, or is this a "ZOMFG AWESOME!" marketing move?

Because if the latter, how about finding species to clone that would actually have an envriomental benefit. Hell, bees seem to be a rather pressing issue lately.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
rhizhim said:
Oliver90909 said:
"elephant eggs could be transplanted into mice for initial insemination, and then transferred back into the elephant for gestation, and, hopefully, delivery."
As long as they remember to take the mammoth baby out of the mouse before...before it's too late...
...and a race of super intelligent woolly mice men take over the world!
For just a split second there, the idea of a mouse sized woolly mammoth existed in my world. I would have called him Franklin and let him frolic across my belly.

And now I'm sad. Cos a full size mammoth would turn me into jelly if belly frolicking were to occur.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I am all in favor of bringing back Mammoth's, but let's remember: Mammoths lived in cooler environments that had long periods of Freezing occur. That doesn't really exist anymore, and it would be hard to find a suitable habitat for them that wouldn't screw another creature.

Plus, this type of cloning actually would result in Half Mammoth/Half Elephant Hybrids, not purebred Mammoths.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Let's be honest, 20th Century Fox is already funding the research to start making a live action Ice Age theme park. It's just taking longer than expected so they have to keep pumping out sequels to keep the demographic interested.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
To those that mentioned the mammoth as a food source, I remember some article back when I was a kid...LONG before there was even an internet (Yes, THAT long ago!)...where a group of scientists actually did find a perfectly preserved mammoth and tried the meat to see if it was viable as a food source for primative man.

Despite that...if reviving the mammoth this way is viable, it might be interesting see how it will survive in modern environments especially if modern pollutants are taken into consideration. However...I would like to recommend to those scientists: Don't even THINK of trying this with dinosaurs. You should know the reason why.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
This shall be cool.

If this works we would bring a species back from extinction!!

what else could we do?

SABERTOOTH TIGERS!!