Words you hate

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Touche.

One letter away from "douche" and how topical, because you sound like just that when you say it!

And every name ending in "que".

Angelique.
Dominique.
Mystique.

Yeah, REAL classy. You sound like a cheap whore. Or a "Frique of nature"! Bwahahahahahaha!

Froken Keke

May 21, 2011
Portfolio, there are way too many O's in that word.

I really dislike the phrase "pick up", as in buying something. It annoys me on several levels, it sounds stupid, weird and wrong.
First of, picking something up sounds like you just wanna go to the store and hold the product for a while, not like you're buying it. In fact, the phrase implies more that you're just taking it and leaving, stealing it instead of buying.
Mostly, my main gripe is that it gives of a nonchalant attitude to things worth. Like, I get using it for something mundane like milk and bread. They cost very little and are everyday needs.

"Could you pick up milk on the way home?"

I don't mind that. It's when it's used with anything that it bothers me.

"I'm just gonna pick up this $1500 expensive piece of technology on my way home like it ain't nothing."

It really devalues the monetary worth of the product. It sounds like you just throw money all around you. Atleast that's the subtext it creates for me.
Like you just take whatever you want.

You don't buy things.
You don't make investments.
You just pick stuff up.

Johanthemonster666

May 25, 2010
I hate a phrases "Not to be racist, but..." "I have many ____ friends" as if your ignorant or bigoted comments are going to be cancelled out by the fact that you don't consider yourself close minded, or how many minority friends you have that somehow makes you an expert on their views and gives you permission to sling mud at others in their communities.

Also to someone who posted above, 'solidarity' is one of my favorite words right up there with 'comrade'!

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
NearLifeExperience said:
doomspore98 said:
The word "like". Maybe its because I'm from the midwest and we say it a lot up here, but Jesus Christ! No-one should say "And I was like, blah blah blah". That is not good, it needs to stop.
Like, no way! I'm like, guilty of this behavior :p It's like, the most addicting word, like ever!
The worst part is that I have heard that many in one sentence before and the person was giving a five minute talk. I counted around 45 likes in one minute.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Father Time said:
SanAndreasSmoke said:
Might be cheating here because it's more than one word, but I hate the phrase "white water rafting".

I always get tongue tied end up saying "white water wafting" like I have a speech impediment. Damn that phrase! Damn it!
Have you ever been white water rafting (sorry I don't know any synonyms)? It's a lot of fun.
I have, and I agree that it is incredibly fun.
But I still manage to fumble the words every time!

I must devise a new term for white water rafting... Rapid Rafting has a nice ring to it!

Apr 5, 2008
I thoroughly despise the word "douchebag" and those who use it wantonly. It's a vile word with horrid imagery that is used thoroughly out of context and has no need to be used at all.

I also hate practically any and every portmanteau in the english language. Mashing two words together like "chillax" or "Brangelina" fills me with a rightous rage and makes me want to stab things. And people.

Oh and using "of" instead of "have" with would/could/should. As in "would of". I understand that it's people writing things how they're pronounced, but it's "would've", short for "would have". That isn't a stabbing offence though, more a kidney-punch/knee-to-the-bollocks level of crime against language.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
The phrase: "the world's not fair" I can understand some actually believe this (kinda sad when that happens), but most people just use it as an excuse to displace responsibility. Luckily, I haven't heard it in a while so maybe it's becoming one of those that just drifts away into nothingness.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
PsychicTaco115 said:
*Insert obligatory YOLO/swag/friend-zone references

If I were forced at gunpoint to choose a word I hate, it would probably be... kumquat

Because I have no idea what to envision when I hear that word
This

so now you know ;o)

Umm i think mine would be moist, it just sounds weird.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
When people say "on accident" instead of "by accident".
The term "YOLO".

And any kind of dumb ass corporate speak/business buzz words you find in most press releases.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
ThatRandomGuy42 said:
Mine is "******". It's such a dull, unoriginal, tasteless insult, whether it's being used on a homosexual or not.
Now see, I hate the homophobia behind the word, but it is an insult that seems like it's got some weight behind it, unlike "dickhead" or "idiot" or something.

I'm not fond of the "N" word. I think it's because I'm very. Very white.

Echopunk

Jul 6, 2011
Irregardless, for obvious reasons. In order to add the requisite level of anonymous internet aggression to my post, I will go further and indicate that, in a perfect world, anyone using irregardless would be a prime candidate for throat slitting with a rusty plastic spoon.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SecondPrize said:
outside of this thread, I've only ever seen cis used just before the word scum. It may not be used negatively, but I've never seen that happen.
I've never seen it in conjunction with "scum." It might be used that negatively, but I've never seen it happen.

Keep in mind also, the guy who was complaining said it was cold and factual or something like that. Clearly, you can have it used without some sort of negative connotation.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
x EvilErmine x said:
so now you know ;o)

Umm i think mine would be moist, it just sounds weird.
Yeah, picturing your kumquats moist is kinda creepy.

Patrick Buck said:
I'm not fond of the "N" word. I think it's because I'm very. Very white.
It's not just white people. :p

Though I'm pretty white. Half native, but pretty white. I just know quite a few other folk who are bothered by the word.

Echopunk said:
Irregardless, for obvious reasons. In order to add the requisite level of anonymous internet aggression to my post, I will go further and indicate that, in a perfect world, anyone using irregardless would be a prime candidate for throat slitting with a rusty plastic spoon.
Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Let's just say "Not-Real Languages" and call it a night. That covereth a multitude of sins in my book.

swenson

Sep 5, 2009
"Actually", especially of there's an implied "um" in front of it and shoving nerd glasses up your nose. "Um, actually, that mechanic was introduced in Gun Shooter Fighting Man 2007, not 2008, you peasant." "Um, actually, in the original book Gnoarhkg explained why he didn't go to Fnarg and it made total sense." "Um, actually, Greek is in the Balkan sprachbund, duh."

It's one of those terms used almost exclusively by people trying to lord their tiny bit of knowledge over everybody else, and if I ever catch myself using it, I immediately stop and reword what I'm trying to say, or better yet just not say it at all.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
PoolCleaningRobot said:
I hate it when English limeys put 'u' in words where it don't belong. Keep your u's in your own country!

Sarcasm aside, I hate it when I find myself and others using very common words and snowclone phrases. They reek of staleness but some of them are hard to replace

Edit: Fuck. "They reek of X" is a snowclone
Sometimes things are cliché because they work. See also: tropes aren't always bad, and it's impossible to avoid all of them. Especially considering that avoiding a trope or cliché is often one in itself.

drh1975 said:
A whole 'nother is another one that gets me. "'Nother" isn't even a word.
I get shudders just thinking about that. I had a moment of blind rage a week or two ago when somebody used "a whole nother" while criticizing the quality of writing in something.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Oooooo, im gonna have some fun with my southern vocabulary here.

"Pop" - I have no idea why it bothers me, but its just... Soda. Its soda. Soda soda soda. My ex actually called it pop, but she was so awesome that I let it go :p

The now widespread and horribly mangled term of "Redneck". I used to love it, because rednecks were usually the farm boys and gals who were out all day in the sun working, not this 'party every day crap'. Now alot of stupid boys and girl who listen to Blake Shelton and drink heavily every night have took the term and spoiled it.

"MLG"... Its an acronym, but hey, its still stupid.

"Shrink", cus I get called it quite a bit when I tell someone I majored in Psychology.

So yeah, just a couple that I know off the top of me head...

And...

JemothSkarii said:
Despite fear of flaring up the gender wars again, I'mma have to say it:

Cis.

I'm not sure what it is, maybe the feeling of negativity behind it...I dunno but it rubs against me the wrong way. To help myself I acquired a Word Replacer so now Cis is Snake. Unfortunately that also turns stuff like Racism into RaSnakem.
I fully agree with this one. I have only -ever- seen it used on this board, haven't seen it in any academic journals over sexuality (and ive read quite a few), or anywhere else. This is the one thing I have found that really irritates the hell out of me. If someone wants to be trans, then they are trans, but I am not cis.