Words you hate

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
Remus said:
onomatopoeia. Is there a better word that means what this word means?
"Sound words".
Boom, crash, smash, zip, swoosh, woof, pow.
Sound words.

Onomatopoeia means "Name(s) I make" from two Greek words.
But let's face it, you can make a name for anything and we simply call that "language".
They're sound words.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Simpler ... makes you sound like a knuckle dragging moron.

I have no idea why but it just makes me think of the hated class (in America this would be a Jersey shore type person, In Aus it would be a lad and in the UK it would be a chav), who say things like "sup me bruddah" or "it's simpler innit, blud".

I think saying "more simple" makes you sound like a sir! "yes, that action is more simple".

It also applies to "quicker" and "more quickly".

Froken Keke

May 21, 2011
Galletea said:
Quadrilogy. It's not a real word but it is printed on many box sets of movies. And that pisses me off greatly.
Oh, yeah. In the same category is the shockingly retarded SAGA. It seems like anything that has more than one part is now a SAGA, somewhere along the line we dropped calling stuff series or just a plural form ("The Star Wars movies", for example) and decided that SAGA is so much better.
The supposed linguistic origins suggest that a SAGA is like a long epic story or something, and supposedly came from my mother language.
Which is funny, because as long as I can remember we've used the word SAGA for fairytales. That's the literal Grimm-Brothers, princesses-and-pixies, Snow White-Little Red Riding Hood version of it, the cliché stuff you tell kindergarden kids. Which makes it even more ridiculous when they try to force that word around here, but regardless of that, it still sounds incredibly retarded in english, and just makes you come of as someone who wants to imply that whatever series of works is so much special, so it needs a (non-)cool special word to describe it.

SAGA

STOP

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
ThatRandomGuy42 said:
Inspired by the "The Worst Insult" thread, what words (or phrases) do you hate?

Mine is "******". It's such a dull, unoriginal, tasteless insult, whether it's being used on a homosexual or not.
I love ******; it feels so good coming out of my mouth.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Froken Keke said:
Galletea said:
Quadrilogy. It's not a real word but it is printed on many box sets of movies. And that pisses me off greatly.
Oh, yeah. In the same category is the shockingly retarded SAGA. It seems like anything that has more than one part is now a SAGA, somewhere along the line we dropped calling stuff series or just a plural form ("The Star Wars movies", for example) and decided that SAGA is so much better.

SAGA

STOP
I suppose if you take it as a series of incidents, instead of a series of works, it could be said to be a saga...at least it started out as a real word. I think Star Wars is a bit of an anomaly since it has so many branches that it is not really a series any more. And I suppose it is a fairy tale of sorts.

Quadrilolgy as a word only exists because whoever made it up figured tetralogy was too hard to understand, but quad + trilogy was ok for the average idiot.
SpunkeyMonkey said:
Any "gangsta" culture style speak...."innit", "blud", "respec" "Nuff' trippin dog." etc.......... it's a fucking vile culture, based on vile principles and the phrases sound like what a retarded monkey would say if it had a special speech-micro chip implanted in it, and had spent 20 years constantly listening to broken English.
Also this. Watched Attack the Block the other day, and I was just getting annoyed with the people in it. Also it is a lame movie. But all the 'bruv' and 'trust' all the fucking time. Just hurry up and get savaged by the blokes in gorilla suits with the glowing plastic teeth.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I hate "luscious" and "dainty" for personal reasons I will not go into except to say that they are blaring red neon signs that say I AM MASTURBATING OVER THE PERSON I AM DESCRIBING WITH THESE ADJECTIVES FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP.

This one isn't a word, but I hate "political correctness" with every fiber of my being because the only people who ever say it do so in the most hypocritical way possible and it makes me want to smack the stupid out of their skulls.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Other than the obvious YOLO/SWAG nonsense,

Irregardless: it goes back and forth and back again, it's just confusing.

Literally: I don't hate the word itself, I hate how it's been used. When someone says literally, it should mean literally, no strings attached, this is 100% *WHAT HAPPENED*. When people say stuff like "it literally blew my mind" it just makes me squirm because per every time it's used incorrectly, I have to work harder to get my point across when *I* say it.

Stink (or anything synonymous with it): I just find it gross is all. It doesn't taste well on my tongue.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
"Yummy". I just find it to be one of the most juvenile words in the English language. I don't mind it too much when kid's use it, but when I hear an adult say something is "yummy" I just want to beat them over the head and tell them to grow the fuck up.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Phrases such as 'Terribad' used to really irritate me but it seems to have dropped out of common usage now.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Irregardless

I can't believe it's consider a word it sounds wrong and stupid.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Homophobia. This word drives me nuts.

Guys, homosexuality has no monopoly on the prefix "homo." Homo means "the same." Phobia refers to an irrational, yet compulsive, fear of something. Therefore, homophobia would mean you're compulsively afraid of things that are the same, either to each other or to you, depending on what usage you prefer. Therefore, you either get the heebie-jeebies from seeing identical twins or your own reflection. If we're talking about being bigoted against homosexuals, can't we at least think of a word that doesn't butcher its root words?

Wraith

Oct 11, 2011
Beautiful Tragedy said:
*hugs*

OT: Any slur, really, but I guess that's a little hypocritical to say at the moment since I use 'nigga' (not ******) in my everyday language? I have also been abusing the word '******', recently, but not against anyone except my friends who'll just laugh it off. I mean, we call each other worse things for fun, so I guess what I really mean is any slur that isn't used for non-offensive comedic purposes? I don't know.

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
chozo_hybrid said:
Mine owuld be "hate" because people use it without actually meaning it, all the time.
Ugh, I know right? I just hate that!

OT: I hate the word moist. Seriously, fuck that word. I've slapped people for saying that before, and I'll do it again. Don't even test me!

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Irregardless.

God it doesn't even show up as an error in the spell check.
Dear lord.

AngelOfBlueRoses said:
OT: I hate the word moist. Seriously, fuck that word. I've slapped people for saying that before, and I'll do it again. Don't even test me!
Sorry.
I love me some moist underbaked chocolate chip cookies (still warm)

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
"Bespoke". Mostly because Edge magazine keeps finding ways to wedge it into their articles. (Could you just use "custom-made" or "made-for-purpose" once in a while...?)