Words you've unknowingly mispronounced.

Macabre9037

Jul 2, 2009
Acai. Apparently its a-say-ee, I always said it a-ky (like sky). I only learned this yesterday.

Purple Shrimp

Oct 7, 2008
AvsJoe said:
My accent causes me to mispronounce a few words. Like 'garage'. I say GUH-roj, but I hear it pronounced GAY-raj a lot.
i read GUH-roj as GUJ-roh and was really confused for a second

elbrandino

Dec 8, 2010
Plaza. I was saying the "a" short for like my entire life and then somebody told me the "a" should be long. They weren't nice about it either for some reason. Then, I was talking to my girlfriend's mom, who is from New York, and she told me on the East Coast they say plaza with a short "a." So the way I figure, it's kinda like saying route as "root" or "rout."

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Until a friend of mine recently corrected me, I pronounced sadist like so:
sad-ist
When it should be pronounced like so:
sade-ist

8bitlove2a03

Mar 25, 2010
I used to (and sometimes still do) mispronounce deus ex machina. I used to think it was "deuce ex", but now I know it's "day-us ex".

pmofmalasia

Jan 31, 2011
I always say lyrics lie-ricks by reflex, even though i know its wrong >_<

EDIT: And I did the same as above poster until I went to a Rush concert on their last tour ;)

bpm195

May 21, 2008
Archipelago... I cannot for the life of my remember how to pronounce "archipelago" so now I just pronounce it as "series of islands".

zombiestrangler said:
Neil Peart's last name. I always thought it was pronounced "Purt" but apparently it's "Pee-art."
I did the same thing until I read this post.

Undeadlifter

Dec 6, 2010
coup de grâce - should be 'coo da grass', I say 'coo da gra'

If I manage to get the short 'a' sound right, I'll spoil it by underpronouncing the 's' sound at the end. (I'm from the south of England, so I pronounce words like grass and last with a long 'a' -you know, properly- but a lot of French words have short 'a' sounds) Coup de gras would sound like that, but that would mean 'blow of fat'.

Warren Buffett

I pronounce his last name Buff-ay, not Buff-ett. I went to business school and gave an entire presentation about him and his company, mispronouncing his last name every time. No-one corrected me until it was over.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Hyperbole and ennui. The former to rhyme with `superbowl' and the latter as enn-you-eye. Isn't English fun?

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Jasper Jeffs said:
I said meme as meh-meh for ageeeeeeeeeeeees too, I was genuinely shocked when my brother said it's pronounced meem
well from that i just found out you pronounce meme as meem well i guess the word meme does not come out in spoken conversations often.

oreopizza47

May 2, 2010
Apparently, I pronounce the word "room" as "rum." I was not aware, but my friends all are. Maybe it's just because I tend to talk a bit fast sometimes, so I skip some sounds. I also had the meme problem for a while, and I still bounce between the correct form and "me-me."

oreopizza47

May 2, 2010
Lukeje said:
Hyperbole and ennui. The former to rhyme with `superbowl' and the latter as enn-you-eye. Isn't English fun?
Wait, it isn't pronounced enn-you-eye? Dammit, I've been doing that wrong too!

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
oreopizza47 said:
Lukeje said:
Wait, it isn't pronounced enn-you-eye? Dammit, I've been doing that wrong too!
It's pronounced ``on-wee''. Apparently. I'll agree it sounds stupid.