Working class young men are more likely to be victims of violent crime, however...

-Orgasmatron-

Nov 3, 2008
I've been thinking, the stats show young men who live in working class and lower class areas are far more likely become victims of violent crime, however I believe middle class teenagers far more easily become victims.

The primary reason for more working class teenagers become victims of violent crime is because where they live that sort of thing is prominent, they have to be around it, this is why they are the biggest demographic effected by it. Thing is, I've lived in a council estate for 16 years and have never once been mugged, stabbed or anything of the sort, I've been in afew fights in my younger years, but that was mostly my fault. Then I look at friends from middle class areas, one in particular lived in possibly the best neighbourhood in my city and was mugged on no less than 3 occasions, I've known another 2 friends mugged once each and one who has been beat up in the street for no reason.

My theory is that the reason is because I can quite easily recognize someone on the street who wants to take my phone, whereas friends from a middle class area are still looking through an innocent eye during their teenage years, because growing up in their neighbourhood they have never been exposed to any violent crime. I could quite easily have become a victim if it wasn't for me being smart enough to turn a corner when I notice a shady bunch of guys walking down the same road as me, or something of the like. Alternatively a middle class kid in that situation is far more likely to be ignorant to the danger presented and walk straight into them.

My first paragraph may sound contradictary, so let me break it down to make sure I'm clear.

Working class kid - Has far more oppurtiunitys to become a victim of violent crime due to their geography, however out of the times they could have been victims, they where only victims afew times.

On the other hand

Middle class kid - Naturally going to be far less likely to get into a situation where they are a victims of violent crime, however when these situations are presented to them, they become victims far more easily.

This is just my hypothesis, so what I want to know is, what kind of background to you come from and have you ever been a victim of violent crime? Have any of your friends been victims? If so what kind of background are they from?

I hope I've made sense, if you have any questions I'll be crashing shortly so might not get back to you til tommorow.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
You made a lot of sense. And yeah, you're right, in my opinion. Working class kids spend a lot of time in high-crime areas, and so would be exposed to it more often, and thus learn to avoid it.
On the other hand, a middle class kid inadvertently enters a high-crime area, and will be mugged, raped, extorted, intimidated, raped again, mugged a few more times...you get the picture- because they wouldn't know what to look out for.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Lets say all the criminals are in your neighborhood there not going to fuck with you because they know who you are and they know you know who they are. Your point is aslo very valid of course just adding to your hypothesis.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
i dont agree with the "Working class kid - Has far more oppurtiunitys to become a victim of violent crime due to their geography, however out of the times they could have been victims, they where only victims afew times." and "Middle class kid - Naturally going to be far less likely to get into a situation where they are a victims of violent crime, however when these situations are presented to them, they become victims far more easily." its down to the person not their lifestyle. and a middle class person is not so de-tached from crime, they do not live on fucking clouds, maybe the higher classes, but not the middle.

I was walking down a alley one night (im higher-middle class) with my brother one night when these two lads jumped us from behind, in the end we both sent them running for it, if we've both inherited anything from our farther its the fact that were extremely hot-tempered and fight like goddamn animals.

this happened to my friend too, again he sent these two guys packing, basterds in skii masks, who do they think they are? fucking commandos?

-Orgasmatron-

Nov 3, 2008
dmase said:
Lets say all the criminals are in your neighborhood there not going to fuck with you because they know who you are and they know you know who they are. Your point is aslo very valid of course just adding to your hypothesis.
True that.

From a personal stanpoint,thing about that is, I don't talk to many people around here anymore, most of my childhood friends have moved away, and I've changed alot, so I don't even fit in around here anymore. In my early years I rolled with the burberry brigade, however I now have grown my hair out and wear jeans, I look far more vulnerable than some of my friends from middle class areas who have been mugged.

Generally speaking though, you've made a good point.

Pandalisk said:
i dont agree with the "Working class kid - Has far more oppurtiunitys to become a victim of violent crime due to their geography, however out of the times they could have been victims, they where only victims afew times." and "Middle class kid - Naturally going to be far less likely to get into a situation where they are a victims of violent crime, however when these situations are presented to them, they become victims far more easily." its down to the person not their lifestyle. and a middle class person is not so de-tached from crime, they do not live on fucking clouds, maybe the higher classes, but not the middle.

I was walking down a alley one night (im higher-middle class) with my brother one night when these two lads jumped us from behind, in the end we both sent them running for it, if we've both inherited anything from our farther its the fact that were extremely hot-tempered and fight like goddamn animals.

this happened to my friend too, again he sent these two guys packing, basterds in skii masks, who do they think they are? fucking commandos?
Your economic background has nothing to do with how tough you are, that's not what I'm trying to say. My point is that a working class guy would of been less likely to walk down a dingey back alley.

Nice one though, on doing the guys over.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
I'm not a criminal, but if I had to mug someone, hypothetically, I would go for someone from the upper-class, cause they prolly have more money to steal.

-Orgasmatron-

Nov 3, 2008
teisjm said:
I'm not a criminal, but if I had to mug someone, hypothetically, I would go for someone from the upper-class, cause they prolly have more money to steal.
You would be suprise how many criminals don't get this. Some twats broke into my house awhile back, they live like 4 houses away, they lifted a handbag then left it outside because all that was in it was a phone you couldn't give it away. I don't know what made them think that if they where so poor they had to steal, that their neighbours would have anything worth stealing.

JPAD89

Apr 21, 2009
Usually young working class men are the istigators of violence....and so the victims of as well, take this example. as a young guy myself, i found myself drinking a local pub and happened to over hear 3 rather annoying people (all young guys who worked in a local metal works apparently) talking about the guy they were gonna 'skin' for the attack on a sister, for not 'puttin out' and then i thought when i read this....hmm its not often im sitting with people in my situation and here them talking about killing one another...now i get this situation may warrant a bit of anger, but its not the only incedant i knw about. but usually the people i see most often dont talk about beating the crap out of someone because they have a pink shirt and so a 'puffter' or dont like football or support the wrong team, or a million and one things that make no sense.

working class unfortunatley means (USUALLY! NOT ALL THE TIME) DUMB, VIOLENT, ALCOHOL OBSESSED FOOTIE FANS. my dads a workin class man through and through, he's intelligent in one respect but as closed minded as most workin class, not really violent he hates the idea, he loves alcohol and hates footie. im speaking from experience is all.

JPAD89

Apr 21, 2009
hey, just a little note, im working class and i generally suspect everyone wants to steal my things and beat me for no reason, i dont actually know any middle class young person who ISNT suspicious of people on the street, my nan lives on a council estate and has done all my life and so i spent alot of time their....she is anything but middle class and has had her house mugged 5 times by local youths.

i just want to disparage the idea that middle class people cant be violent. they can. im atn uni and have met alot of workin class, middle and upper class people. they only thing they have in common is they can all be violent moronic bastards. who will attack anyone for w.e reason. there is no real difference between classes except style of living.

Jan 23, 2009
I was punched in the eye, just the one punch, by a guy who thought I was going to mug another person who was walking nearby...

-Orgasmatron-

Nov 3, 2008
JPAD89 said:
Usually young working class men are the istigators of violence....and so the victims of as well, take this example. as a young guy myself, i found myself drinking a local pub and happened to over hear 3 rather annoying people (all young guys who worked in a local metal works apparently) talking about the guy they were gonna 'skin' for the attack on a sister, for not 'puttin out' and then i thought when i read this....hmm its not often im sitting with people in my situation and here them talking about killing one another...now i get this situation may warrant a bit of anger, but its not the only incedant i knw about. but usually the people i see most often dont talk about beating the crap out of someone because they have a pink shirt and so a 'puffter' or dont like football or support the wrong team, or a million and one things that make no sense.
And this is why they are the highest demographic effected by it. However, middle class people are far more likely to walk blindly into an attacking, thinking they're safe. That's what I'm trying to say.

JPAD89

Apr 21, 2009
-Orgasmatron- said:
JPAD89 said:
And this is why they are the highest demographic effected by it. However, middle class people are far more likely to walk blindly into an attacking, thinking they're safe. That's what I'm trying to say.

and what i was trying to say (i thought i made it clear but i must not have) is that middle class dont walk blindly into attacks because we tend to suspect everyone of being rough necks.
so we avoid any dodgy situation. (except the gormless ones, but they come out in every class)

-Orgasmatron-

Nov 3, 2008
JPAD89 said:
and what i was trying to say (i thought i made it clear but i must not have) is that middle class dont walk blindly into attacks because we tend to suspect everyone of being rough necks.
so we avoid any dodgy situation. (except the gormless ones, but they come out in every class)
Very clear indeed, congratulations are in order. Well done.

I'm talking from my own personal experience, that's my opinion and there's yours, it's cool.