Working Hoverboard Prototype Takes us Back to The Future

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Kenjitsuka said:
Obviously NOT like the movie at all, clickbait article...
And MagLev? Pfffffffff. Quantum Levitation at room temperature is what we need!
Quantum levitation requires special surface too. Anti gravity engine is what we need.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
MetalMagpie said:
If you want something that hovers over water (and land too), get a hovercraft [http://flyingfishhovercraft.co.uk/Buy-A-Hovercraft/Marlin-2-3-Seater.aspx]. ;)
You should make sure it's not full of eels, though.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
I'm tired of being cynical about everything. Yeah, I know it uses magnets and needs to be over a special surface to hover, but you know what? Fuck it. This is still cool.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
My thinking is, like in all technologies we want: It's a start. It has to break ground somewhere.

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that this needs a special metallic surface to work on. The basic dynamics of how gravity works means that a generic "anti gravity engine" is impossible, or at least so far from modern physics that it's barely worth thinking about. Long physics lesson short, normally compression of the ground beneath you is what counters the downward force of gravity, causing you to stay put since the forces are balanced, and forcing a board to provide that counter force without help from the earth isn't easy. The fact they managed to force "just magnets" to do so in such a controllable and efficient way (given the board stays at the same altitude from the ground it could use a lot less energy than expected) should impress anyone who's tried to force magnets together as a kid and realised how unstable they are.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Cute but nothing new really. Make a board that will work on any surface then I'll be impressed.

eguitarists

Jul 17, 2017
It's fun to look back at these 'will we have hoverboards that fly before back to the future day' and obviously that has come and gone! Also I see people complaining about how you will get injured and hurt on the two wheeled versions of these things. I'm a SKATER and if you skate, you will fall and then you get back up. If you are injury prone, wear pads and you should always wear a helmet. I've been trying to push the envelope on off road hoverboards lately by riding on obstacles and coming up with ways to do more interesting things like attack skateboard obstacles with a hoverboard or powered skateboard. :)

My favorite is the All Terrain Hoverboard, the T6 by Swagtron ( https://swagtron.com/hoverboard/self-balancing-scooter ) as I ride them daily all the time. on grass .. like a bmx bike can do, with air filed tires.
Aaron

See me on it: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWo47d5DtMp/?taken-by=the_skatepark