Working It - From Home

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Working It - From Home

This week Tom Endo shares his secrets for working at home with only a hint of mental illness.

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
You've hit the nail right on the head Tom. Awesome. Also, didn't realize you're only a stone throw away across the Hudson River. Howdy neighbor.

Flitcraft

Jan 9, 2009
Did you have the beard prior to working from home? Because I'm sporting one right now that's entirely due to the fact that I've got nobody I need to impress, and I could spend that 15 minutes a day doing something important. Like leveling my party.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Super classy.

Does a klaxon go off to alert you that your six hour shift of gaming is over? Every good submarine-esque home needs a klaxon.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nathan Meunier said:
You've hit the nail right on the head Tom. Awesome. Also, didn't realize you're only a stone throw away across the Hudson River. Howdy neighbor.
You're a fellow Jerseyite, Nathan?

Lebeau's Bounty

Dec 30, 2008
Tom,

Sharing your thoughts on this matter, and the lessons you've learned, will help many generations to come.

However, I did have one thought that I wanted to add... just about the perils of working at home... in a confined environment... for an extended duration of time, over the course of perhaps a couple... years...

That maybe this article you are writing... is not really here. And maybe all these comments... aren't really there. And maybe this entire experience is just a crayon drawing mixed with blood and peanut butter spread on the walls all around you, but animated by your delusional mind.

I'm just saying.

I mean, that's what the fish guy told me.

Rick Rollington

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
Nathan Meunier said:

I'm a transplant from up North. Been here a few years, hoping to relocate somewhere with a better balance between chaos traffic population overload and rolling hills filled with nothing but woodland creatures. But yeah, I'm in Jersey...about 30 minutes from NYC. I'm not sure how anyone can afford to live in this state! Are you around these parts too or are you from here originally? It has some nice and some not-so-nice aspects.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nathan Meunier said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Nathan Meunier said:

I'm a transplant from up North. Been here a few years, hoping to relocate somewhere with a better balance between chaos traffic population overload and rolling hills filled with nothing but woodland creatures. But yeah, I'm in Jersey...about 30 minutes from NYC. I'm not sure how anyone can afford to live in this state! Are you around these parts too or are you from here originally? It has some nice and some not-so-nice aspects.
Originally from Jersey, about 30 minutes outside of NYC like you said. Now I'm down here in NC at Escapist HQ, but I'm a Jersey guy at heart for better or for worse :p

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Ugh, you left out driving your friends insane on facebook and g-chat by posting every single little thing they've spotted while taking a break from work.

"Hey, did you see that funny Youtube video I posted on your wall? You should watch it. Watch it now."

"Yeah, okay, in a minute, it's 8 minutes long man."

"It's cool. So....what are you doing right now?"

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
Great advice for working from home Tom.

I got the go ahead to work from home as much as I like this year. So far I have been only doing it 1 or 2 days a week because somehow, it still feels kind of "wrong" and "naughty". But I do get perspective by adding up the time I spend outside of normal hours doing stuff and I feel like the boss is getting his money's worth.

It takes a lot of self discipline to do it ptoperly. Working on a powerpoint when the box for DOW2 is staring you in the face takes grit!

Nice article.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Wow, that's truly inspiring. I know I wouldn't ever have the self control to work from home, but you've given me some fantastic ideas for what could be an amazing gaming session. I've got a couple of spare weeks holiday left.