World of Tanks Dev Makes Entire Catalog "Free-to-Win"

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
King Kazma said:
Awhile back they made it so that any player could buy the AP shells for regular in game currency. While the costs are prohibitive, the average guy could still afford to put a few in his tank each round and have an advantage with them if one of the tougher tanks comes along.
Still the costs are horrible. I can't afford them with my Tiger, w/l ratio is about 50/49, and a horrible 38% survival rate. Alot of times I only break even. Than again Wargaming sees to be biased against us German players. My KV-1 makes free money wether I die or not, so long as I hit a guy once and didn't use any repair kits or anything. I mean, I can easily profit 10k with it, but unless I have a match I smash the enemy my Tiger is lucky to make 5k profit. But thats us German's, always bitching cause we have the short stick.
What are you talking about, I could still make a good 15k per match when I was playing my t7 tanks, especially my german ones, which are fucking fierce. Also, no, german bias doesn't exist, going down, you have the majority of the best tanks at all tiers.

1: Ltraktor.
2: Bison.
3: You now get the awesome fun of the pz1c, but the su-26 is better here.
4: pzIII, hetzer. The latter being the best tank destroyer in the game.
5: Stug, which is an invisible murder machine and the pzIV derp cannon, which is currently OP as shit. M4 sherman gives the germans a run for their money here. KV-1 is the best t5 heavy to play and that gets chewed up by german and us mediums.
6: The British win here with the Cromwell, which is one of the fastest tanks in the game.
7: Americans win here with the t29.
8: You get the KT, which has amazing sloped "fuck you armour" and can actually bounce the "overpowered" t32 gun, even if the t32 is facing you head on and shooting at your LFP.
9: The e-75 is the best t9 heavy in the game.
10: You currently have the only tier 10 light and the e-100, which is brilliant for pub stomping and clan wars. You get the final tier TD, which has such high alpha that it's still used in clan wars. US have better main line tanks, but that's it.

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
We'll see if they are actually serious about this. World of Tanks isn't really pay to win, it's more "pay to progress". The giant problem with World of Tanks as a free to play game is the fact that when your tank gets destroyed you lose some money, and if you play the game casually high tier tanks simply aren't viable because the winnings rarely ever make up for the repairs unless you have a premium account.

Also there are gold shells which have rendered a large portion of the tanks in the game completely pointless in competitive play since armor simply doesn't work when people are rolling around with 310+ penetration values.

They should take a good look at Planetside 2, that game does it right when it comes to free to play. Sure, if you spend a bit of money you will get new stuff much more quickly in that game, and that can be frustrating to players who don't want to spend money, but someone with free to play has absolutely no disadvantages in terms of getting into the fight or competing.

I think a game not only has to avoid being pay to win, but it also has to avoid being intentionally inconvenient to try and sell people a convenience. Like, if you have a game where the crafting system has 100+ resources but your character only has 20 inventory slots unless you spring for an extra bag you just know that they did that on purpose to screw free players over.

Any monetization system that is based on coercion makes my wallet snap shut. Games that make me want to spend money on them are where I will gladly spend hundreds of dollars.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well it isn't that big of a transition for them, those power items were dirt cheap and hated among the community so I doubt that was making real money.

The progression however is where you can lose all your money, a single tier 8 tank will set you back $60, trying to unlock them all would go into thousands possibly tens of thousands.

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
While I like the concept, its why I like league of legends and purchase skins, WOT I hear, has been and always will be 'play Russian to win.' With no regards to balance or historical accuracy. Sooooo.... still not getting into this. Its too bad though, love the concept.

6urk17s

Nov 16, 2010
Ghaleon640 said:
While I like the concept, its why I like league of legends and purchase skins, WOT I hear, has been and always will be 'play Russian to win.' With no regards to balance or historical accuracy. Sooooo.... still not getting into this. Its too bad though, love the concept.
Thats bullshit that comes from people can't properly learn to play Tiger and instead think its Press-shoot-to win tank, and when they get killed by russian tanks go whine on the forums. Russian tanks are easier to play, true, but not the most OP. Actually, the tanks that come most close to OP would be the American ones.