World of Warcraft Experience Hurt Firefall Development

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
World of Warcraft Experience Hurt Firefall Development

On the contrary, World of Warcraft may have positively inspired Firefall's level design. I was only able to try out one environment, a tropical island area with a busted up boardwalk, pools of water, and other colorful features, but the map was a far cry from the rusty, industrial environments of other shooters. It was like a battle vacation.

Kern added that while putting tons of players in one area might be fun, Red 5 determined that smaller skirmishes are sometimes even better. I tried a 5v5 match and the variation of class abilities combined with drops that might give players a cloak or similar bonus made Firefall feel like the unique type of shooter Red 5 is going for, because I was never just running around with an automatic weapon on blast. Instead, I was judging which attacks would be best to use in various situations, jetpacking to a safe spot to snipe from afar, or dashing over to a fallen ally to save him (which can deny the other team a kill).

The combination of shooter-focused gameplay with a persistent world in which Kern said Red 5 is doing its best to implement quests that are more than just "kill X space marines" has potential to lead to an extremely fun and deep action-based experience with MMO elements. The final product could appeal to MMO fans sick of pressing a key to watch themselves attack a bear over an over, and shooter fans bored with simply fragging lots of noobs.

Firefall will be free-to-play and supported by an in-game marketplace. It's expected for release on the PC in 2011.

Reynaerdinjo

Feb 5, 2010
This actually seems like an interesting project. Not too sure what the giant world would add to all this though.

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
I heard the game is going to be a free download? I didn't get to play it while at pax but it did look great!

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I seems like every single genre is going to incorporate some kind of RPG element within them...

Not a bad thing if done right. And this project seems interesting.

ZeppMan217

Apr 13, 2010
F2P? WHAT!?
Insta...Download, I guess.
I'm just wondering if it's a MMOFPS with thousands of players in one world OR more like Borderlands with PvP?

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
I would much rather see a company make the mistake of "too much like wow" in the beginning stages of development and realize their mistake, than decide their game is not enough like WoW sometime after launch.

Alexridiculous

Mar 15, 2011
I don't understand, the lead designer is blaming his design on the fact that he worked on a different game beforehand? Sounds to me like he went overboard on the RPG elements, his team told him it isn't going to work, and he's deflecting it.

Not sure what to think of this, it seems like the exact opposite of what you want to say when hyping a game.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Alexridiculous said:
I don't understand, the lead designer is blaming his design on the fact that he worked on a different game beforehand? Sounds to me like he went overboard on the RPG elements, his team told him it isn't going to work, and he's deflecting it.

Not sure what to think of this, it seems like the exact opposite of what you want to say when hyping a game.
Not necessarily. When you work on one style for several years, you tend to get stuck in that mindset, so when he lead his new team on something that isn't an RPG, he only thought in terms of an RPG, rather than a shooter. Hopefully the game is good.

olicon

May 8, 2008
I do think it sounds really cool. I like the persistent aspect of TF2 a lot, and I would love to try it out in a bigger world.

Cool Welshy

Mar 15, 2011
I am seriously not surprised. WoW is a MMO god. Faring up to that (And TF2 for that matter) is going to be a hard act.

Frylock72

Dec 7, 2009
What's with the use of the word 'persistent'? It seems like the wrong word for what's actually meant.

I saw the gameplay trailer when it was released last year, it looked pretty damn cool. I may try it out, and the free to play is just icing on the cake.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
This looks like a really interesting game and seeing "Free" in there guarantees that I'll at least download it and give it a try. Looking forward to this, the game actually looks pretty sweet. I just hope the marketplace doesn't sell totally unbalanced weapons or I'll end up wasting money on it.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Tl;dr: Bad designer who was probably kicked out of other company for a reason still has bad design ideas, blames old employer for corrupting his mind.

Crimsonshadow66

Sep 20, 2009
Wait, wait, wait.... a PC only game? There might be a god after all! Its about time the PC community got something more than later release dates and buggy releases.