World of Warcraft: Legion Expansion Revealed

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Wuvlycuddles said:
The live stream mentioned Turalyon and Alleria are finally making an appearance.... I had to face palm hard for that.
Huh, really? I didn't watch the livestream. That actually intrigues me, I can see some good opportunities for some interesting story stuff there. I wonder how Sylvanas would react to meeting her sister again after so long?

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
shadowstriker86 said:
Mr.Mattress said:
There is currently a Lich King; it's Tirion Fordring (The former Regent of the Humans in Vanilla WOW). He's keeping the Scourge from being hostile and/or aggressive. Now, it's possible that Ner'Zhul, the first Scourge leader who was "absorbed" by Arthas, could come back and corrupt Tirion, but right now there is no evidence of that. Since Kel'Thuzad is too loyal to the Lich King, whoever he is, Kel'Thuzad won't cause problems as long as Tirion won't.
Talk about a crossover battle: Tirion's Scourge vs. The Burning Legion: Whoever the Legion kills, Tirion just brings back as an undead and they're ready to re-enter the fray
Technically, most of the Burning Legion doesn't die in the same sense most Azeroth peoples die; at least for the things like the Pit Lords and Dread Lords, when they die, they simply are teleported back to the Twisting Nether (That's why people like Balnazzar and Magtheradon still live). That's not to say some things like the Imps and Fel Guards can't physically die and then be resurrected as undead, but those are low tier species the Burning Nether could kill easily. Technically, the Burning Legion would beat the hell out of the Scourge; it was just the Burning Legion's immediate defeat and Archimonde's "Death" that got the Scourge freedom in the first place (That and Arthas defeated Illidan's Burning Legion aligned force in Northrend).

Laggyteabag said:
Bolvar Fordragon became the Lich King, not Tyrion Fordring. Last names are very close, and even though Tyrion was there when the Lich King died, Bolvar just kinda Deus Ex Machina'd himself there.

[small]Because *reasons*[/small]
Oh, my mistake. I haven't played WoW since Mists of Pandaria wouldn't install properly on my computer, and I stopped caring about the Lore after Garrosh Hellscream was defeated at the end of Pandaria.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Aeshi said:
Wuvlycuddles said:
The live stream mentioned Turalyon and Alleria are finally making an appearance.... I had to face palm hard for that.
Huh, really? I didn't watch the livestream. That actually intrigues me, I can see some good opportunities for some interesting story stuff there. I wonder how Sylvanas would react to meeting her sister again after so long?
Good question.

Given how hard she took Vereesa's turning-down of her invitation to join her in the Undercity, it's clear that even though she's undead, she still cares deeply about her living sisters. I imagine she'll be terrified of how Alleria will react to her being Queen of the Forsaken.

I'm also curious to see how Turalyon and Alleria will react to the 10+ years of events on Azeroth that they missed. The Third War and the Scourge, the Blood Elves joining the Horde, the Cataclysm, and so on.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
I am very sceptical at this point. lets see how much gets cut before release.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Looks like... nothing really new to me. Stopped way back after raiding all of Cataclysm, and this just seems like same old shit. So no urges to start playing again :)

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Aeshi said:
Wuvlycuddles said:
Oh please, it will be a cameo, they'll be a quest giver if you're lucky (and praise the honor of the Horde because that's a common trend for Alliance NPC's these days) then they'll be brushed aside for the next story of orccraft.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I am going to say there's nothing they could add to bring me back, but... those Feral Druid forms... fucking female belf demon hunters.... dat TBC feel....

Fuck you Blizz! STOP IT! I AIN'T EVER GOING BACK!

DX

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
As for the "Childish" Bickering; Politics is hard and complicated. Several real life nations are still bickering at each other even when confronted with a threat like ISIS. Considering these people are completely different species, some of them alien to the planet, and some of them more aligned to be aggressive, it's no wonder they still hate each other. It's, in fact, surprising how well they got along until Garrosh took over.
But there is a world of difference between a three way fued over which warlord controls a patch of desert and fending off a threat that is litterally threatening to destroy the whole world. The closest we have seen in reality is WW2 where the USA and USSR were able to play nice long enough to beat the Nazis.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Morti said:
But there is a world of difference between a three way fued over which warlord controls a patch of desert and fending off a threat that is litterally threatening to destroy the whole world. The closest we have seen in reality is WW2 where the USA and USSR were able to play nice long enough to beat the Nazis.
And even that was teeth-clenched teamwork, since the Brits and the U.S. flat-out refused to share their advanced technology with the Soviets. Also remember that there were some that considered a preemptive invasion of the USSR right after the war was over, which mercifully got shot down.

The Horde and the Alliance will never stop bickering and fighting; they hate each other too much for that. But both sides are wise enough to avoid open warfare and to cooperate when it interests them.

Selucia

Feb 27, 2015
Nice to see blizzard sticking to its lore with the demon hunter race combos however this is going to increase the race imbalance even further while screwing raid composition a lot unless fights are a lot more melee focused. WoD kinda feels even more pointless now we known it only occurred to enable this expansion to happen which seems to be a mix of every threat or idea the fans have wanted for a while atleast the diversity is refreshing rather than even more orcs or random old god / fire twilight guys.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Jesus... is it expansion time already? Didn't Warlords JUST come out like... last christmas?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Draconalis said:
Jesus... is it expansion time already? Didn't Warlords JUST come out like... last christmas?
Yeah, but subs has dipped below the 7 million mark, so Bliz needs something to draw people back in.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
They always make it look so tempting, but I can't escape the feeling I'll be burned again if I go back.

Think I'll keep looking forward for the moment regarding mmo's, but towards what I have no idea.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Zontar said:
Draconalis said:
Yeah, but subs has dipped below the 7 million mark, so Bliz needs something to draw people back in.
True enough, and expansions always were the easiest way to get people back in.

I, for one, will not fall for it again though. I got my warlock to level 100 after years of playing him since the days when BWL were first being released. I feel he is accomplished enough even if his armor is scrub for level 100.

Nothing I did in Warlords made me feel like I was doing something that mattered... so I stopped.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Another re-use of a theme? We've already seen plenty of Burning Legion stuff in Burning Crusade. Warlords of Draenor already brought back all the Draenei and Orc aesthetics we've also known from Burning Crusade already. Hence why I didn't feel like exploring nearly as much.

The same thing now applies to Legion. I haven't had the feeling of wondrous exploring since Mists of Pandaria. Pandaria at least felt completely new. I had the feeling that I continuously wanted to see what was around the corner, because there could be anything. In WoD and probably now Legion? Sadly no longer, and that these days is the only reason I want to play WoW.

I can't help but feel that they're a little lazy with WoW. I mean, suddenly bringing back Illidan? Really?
Draconalis said:
Nothing I did in Warlords made me feel like I was doing something that mattered... so I stopped.
It didn't help that the story in the hand changed absolutely nothing on Azeroth, the status quo was completely preserved. Something with pocket dimensions or something, it was all very silly but it boiled down to the fact that everything that happened in Warlords of Draenor was purely contained on Draenor. And that, indeed, made it feel meh.

I suppose Legion at least has that going for it; at least it's on good ol' Azeroth again.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
SlumlordThanatos said:
Morti said:
And even that was teeth-clenched teamwork, since the Brits and the U.S. flat-out refused to share their advanced technology with the Soviets. Also remember that there were some that considered a preemptive invasion of the USSR right after the war was over, which mercifully got shot down.

The Horde and the Alliance will never stop bickering and fighting; they hate each other too much for that. But both sides are wise enough to avoid open warfare and to cooperate when it interests them.
I feel like the biggest problem with Horde vs Alliance dynamic is the fact that a lot of there leaders are to nice for the shit to keep happening. A few of them are assholes(Garrosh who is dead now and Sylvanas) but of the most part all of them are far too nice to keep this war realistically going on.

Vanished

Jul 5, 2014
Did they glue a wyvern head onto the new feral druid forms? I was hoping for some guild based housing area. There's still a chance for something like that to pop up at blizzcon but I don't have my hopes up. Hopefully with all these cool new weapons for casters, they'll add in some casting animations that actually make use of them instead of them just sitting where they are out of combat with no real purpose other than stat additions. From what they've announced so far I don't feel very drawn to it at all.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
For those who still play and are enjoying WoW, please carry on. I don't want to spoil the game and your fun with an angry rant. But this comes from someone who hasn't played since several years. And it's about the greater scope of the game, rather than "Rogues are so useless, buhu!". Really, have fun!

---
They could have fixed it. They, according to their subscription numbers, should have fixed it.

First of all, let's wait until we can be certain of what *really* gets into the expansion pack. There are SO MANY FEATURES left unimplemented for whatever reasons, even promised ON THE BACK OF THE BOX.

So, what I like:

- Demon Hunters. But it's another melee agi tank dps class. Another.
- Finally, what I've been saying since freaking RELEASE, a seperation from PVE and PVP. Hopefully properly executed.
- A bit of good content, same ol' dungeons and raids. Maybe even a bit more than in WoD. Although, it would be really hard to have even less of these than what was provided in WoD.

That's it.

- No experiments with classes

The concept of hero classes is left untouched. Don't tell me that those classes added later on, like Death Knight and Demon Hunter, are real hero classes. Do you know what they were supposed to be originally? The next step for every class. Like the job system of, for example Ragnarök Online. For example, you had a rogue. The rogue was supposed to evolve into something superior, like Demon Hunter. That was the original concept for WoW. Fine, maybe it didn't work in their concept stages. But I'd be curious to hear about the reasons on why this wouldn't have worked. Now, hero classes are just other classes. Nothing more. Why even call it differently? Because they skip levels? They share the name with some dudes people t-bag with level 60? What about Paladins? Luther was a Paladin, and he was a hero. Whatever, they could come up with something else instead. But no, they cash in.

Anyway, it stays the same.

- No real housing

Show off your trophies. Show off your loot. Errect a giant phallus shaped tower to show off. Let it be diverse, individual, modular.

We got garrisons instead. It's a lukewarm attempt. Again, this has been promised since vanilla. I bet their budget is still as tight as back then to still not come up with proper solutions. Hehe. ...

- Less and less MM in an MMO(RP)G

So, after making everybody the same and keeping it simple to balance, we might finally never face anything like the Ret Pala of vanilla. Hooray. We also don't have to keep 40 people in check like a private military organisation in order to unlock a huge chunk of content inside a game. Splendid. Even less so, 25. Marvelous. And even less. 10. Now, afaik, 20 again. OK, maybe that's a sweet spot.

Do you know what else there was before? Mages making portals. Smithes making rare weapons. Chefs providing buffs. "Elite" quest you could do with two people (They could have balanced them so that it either gets modular in its difficulty or that they are adjusted to two people only, so that a well acquainted player could have had a real challenge while 2 players could handle it like any other quest.

"Now", we pretty much only have raids. With a randomizer. What point is there to join a guild other than some arbitrary buffs? It's fun, maybe. But I always experienced, besides epic e-drama, that social interactivity is nourished best by having clear goals and clear benefits before.

- The new continent awfully looks like a really good total conversation mod of Northrend. But smaller. I don't mean the zones themselves, the grand geography looks like it.

- All in all, it's nothing revolutionary. Not even something evolutionary. It just gets more and more fat. No experiments, no fulfilled promises, probably ill treated lore (like the Emerald Dream. Don't even tell me that something, that was in the works as an expansion(!!!) with so much lore behind it, gets treated well if handled like this.)

Was it better before? No. For today's standards, it was shit. It was fun and new, but I don't shed any tears for nostalgia in regards to gameplay. It had much more mystery, since there were many more left-overs from developement, sometimes later implemented in a patch or in TB. So it had much more theorising and mystery than today. But that is the only thing I miss.

No, what I miss is innovation. And don't even try to argue with me that this is because of WoW's age. It's Blizzard. It's Activision. It's World of Warcraft. That means they had SO MUCH MONEY AND POTENTIAL that it would have been a wet dream. There is only so much you can do with an engine, but they had resources like nobody else. I only pulled concepts the player base speculated about and desired for so long. And they did an overhaul. They could have rewritten so many parts of the engine. As far as I know, they did. So they had the resources. Tell me, if other games can do things like housing, why couldn't WoW do it? Blizzard, with all its resources.

And they played it save. Super save. They *still* do. And what do they get in return? Massively dropping numbers. Today, they could have shown that they listened to their user base. Of course, a lot of people wanted a Demon Hunter.

But people only want a Demon Hunter in a game they enjoy. Otherwise, it's like you get finally your favourite spoon from the Duck Tales merchandise, only to dig into the same pile of rotten food.

---

Disclaimer: I haven't played or payed since the end of Cataclysm, and I've played Cataclysm very, very casually. Originally, I played it since half a year after the EU release, very very hardcory except for the whole of TBC. I have the Pandaria CE in case I wanted to play again. That's it.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Fappy said:
I am going to say there's nothing they could add to bring me back, but... those Feral Druid forms... fucking female belf demon hunters.... dat TBC feel....

Fuck you Blizz! STOP IT! I AIN'T EVER GOING BACK!

DX
Now it makes sense why people compare it to heroin.

You gotta just cut yourself off completely from everything that makes you think about it, man!

On an unrelated note, do you want to guest in an LP of Warcraft II and III? :D

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
I'm surprised nobody's asked "hurr durr do people still play WoW? slurrrrrrrp dribble" in this thread yet.

Surliness aside, I'm looking forward to the Demon Hunter class and Illidan's return. I figured Illidan's body was still being kept somewhere. Not sure how exactly Archimonde had the presence of mind to send Gul'dan to MU Azeroth (hell, I'm surprised Archimonde even knew about MU Azeroth).

On a really petty side-note, and yes this sort of thing has bothered me throughout WoW's life, I'm glad they chose a title that wasn't "X of Y" for once. Seeing patches and expansions use that naming structure repeatedly just irritated me for some reason.

I hope the Artifact weapons are transmoggable, as I like the keyblade-looking staff I'm currently using.

My hopes for this expansion is that, as the Legion is now invading in full force, the various other factions such as the Ebon Blade and Argent Crusade will jump into the fight, because at this point nobody can claim that this doesn't concern them - that's a huge cop out, and this concerns everybody on Azeroth whether anybody, players or in-game characters alike, likes it or not. I liked that representatives from a few of those factions were present in WoD even if they were just guests in your garrison inn. So I'd like to see that continue in the next expansion.

The sooner we get out of WoD, the better. But at the same time, I want them to release Legion only when it's ready.

And I really hope they don't stuff this one up, because I was really disappointed with this expansion and I can't wait to get out of WoD and into Legion.