World of Warcraft Players Could Be Homeless Forever

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
never found houses in MMO's to be of any use. Only exception being Runes of Magic. You can craft in your player Home, and if you have friends who are broke and don't have the crafting facilities you can give them the password Key to enter your home to use your facilities :D

Its great for couples ;)

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Moriarty70 said:
Scorched_Cascade said:
You have to wonder what all the NPCs think of the millions of people that apparently just fall down and sleep in the middle of the street.

They go out and kill legendary monsters and have enough gold to build the theoretical phallus monument yet they just up and kip in the gutter. Why have the orphans not robbed them blind?

Makes me wonder if any of the Mayors have "reduce homelessness and vagrancy" as their campaign platform.
You know, there was one Mayor that had that platform. I seem to remeber him disapearing mysteriously after a meeting with the local raid party though. No one's really tried it since.
Mayor? What the hell is a Mayor? For the warchief! FOR THE HORDE!

P.s. Housing is silly.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
There is not a single good reason for houses. There are ton of reason houses could effect the game negatively.

First off every function of the house would be redundant in other parts of the game. Storage you have inventory and banks, if you need more storage, then ask for more. I am always willing to plead to developers for more bank space.

Decorations and such are a vanity thing, if you want to build and decorate then there are plenty of other games out there, go play Minecraft or Hello Kitty Island Adventures. There are still armor and achievements to show off, are you that petty and vain to really need more?

Roleplaying and meeting places. There is plenty of free space to role, rp or erp. If you can't find it or see it then I call into question your roleplaying skills. I know in Cataclysm they took out the Guild Meeting Hall in Stormwind to put in the second bank, there are still plenty of places.

John Stalvern

Aug 28, 2008
I always did tell my WoW playing friends that they were essentially physical-god slaying vagrants...

000jinx

Mar 8, 2011
I'd like to see live, as in on the map, not instanced, guild housing created. It'd have to be extremely expensive, have a very limited number of marked lots available per zone and in traditionally non-combat regions, for instance, not outside a cave Orges or Yeti are camping in but a field with just a few critters running around would be fine. Throw us a free second stone to be able to port in and out and you could, possibly, bring the community closer together. And absolutely, on PvP servers bring on the destructible housing. Yes, it could possibly lead to griefing but when was the last time open world PvP in WoW wasn't an 85 beating down a bunch of level 40 guards and level 30 characters. Unfortunately I think the way WoW is set up same side Guild versus Guild combat would be difficult, at best, to implement. But there does need to be a way to take control of a property if you are Horde and another Horde guild currently controls it.

As for how useful it would be, that depends on the community. Granted this was before General and Trade chat, but several guilds got together in UO and built a tower as a safe haven for players to meet up, set up raids, talk, etc. This would still be a possibility today, and one I'd welcome. I can't tell you what half my guilds characters actually look like even though I talk to them daily. And my time at the YMCA in Yew is still one of my favorite memories from early MMOs. I doubt it can be replicated but it wouldn't be bad to try.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
People always ask for it, but how would you even implement it? Sure, the game world is huge but it's still finite, so they would probably just have to have one or at best a handful of locations that just phase between guilds. And even then, what's the point really? Sure you could probably decorate your place a bit but it's just not going to be that appealing if it doesn't do anything else. Plus I've heard the WoW dev's talk about this a few times before, and one of their concerns is that if it's too good people will just stay in the houses and the cities will become ghost towns. Maybe there is a right way to balance it, but it would take a lot of careful planning and work to make it fall between "pointless" and "Stormwind is now a ghost town".

But if you asked my unrealistic desires, I'd like guild housing with personal quarters. You get the social aspect of the guild and the personal customization of an individual house in one! Also, class-related decorations would be awesome;
A Warlock with occult symbols and summoning circles
A Warrior having racks and racks of armor and weapons
A Priest's room covered in holy symbols and scripture (or something more dark for Shadow spec)
A Hunter decorating his room with trophies of animals (and maybe a few Orcs or Blood Elves)
A Mage with arcane tomes scattered about everywhere
A Shaman could keep totems around and have an altar to meditate and commune with the elements.

I mean, tell me that all that stuff wouldn't be sweet.

MazzaTheFirst

Jul 1, 2009
Scorched_Cascade said:
You have to wonder what all the NPCs think of the millions of people that apparently just fall down and sleep in the middle of the street.

They go out and kill legendary monsters and have enough gold to build the theoretical phallus monument yet they just up and kip in the gutter. Why have the orphans not robbed them blind?

Makes me wonder if any of the Mayors have "reduce homelessness and vagrancy" as their campaign platform.
Most people log out in inns, so not really on the streets. The only real exception is in the capital cities where the entire zone counts as a safe zone and you can log out anywhere. Any other town most people take the ten second walk into the inn.

I don't see a point to housing really. World of Warcraft is not really a game where there is much to show off. You can collect mounts, companions and all sort of unique little toys but nothing you can really display or need to display in a house. If anything have a guild hall that certain guilds can complete certain objectives to add certain elements that can give buffs or sell items.

Lncredible

Mar 23, 2009
Housing... No.. I don't think there would be much room / reason for it. But how about guild flying ships (like the ones that fight in icecrown). They could take be customised and manned up for PVP fights. That could provide people with a nice play to rest, decorate, and also give it a use. Plus i'd like to swing across onto another guild's ship and loot it.

EDIT: someone already touched on this idea with guild blimps, also good!

Dzil

May 20, 2009
Lncredible said:
Housing... No.. I don't think there would be much room / reason for it. But how about guild flying ships (like the ones that fight in icecrown). They could take be customised and manned up for PVP fights. That could provide people with a nice play to rest, decorate, and also give it a use. Plus i'd like to swing across onto another guild's ship and loot it.

This idea sounds even better than a static house, but it still suffers the same problem. Either you instance it in which case you aren't really showcasing anything, or you don't in which case the skies above orgrimmar and stormwind will just end up blotted out by everyone's blimpmobile.

Pyro Paul

Dec 7, 2007
Dzil said:
Lncredible said:

This idea sounds even better than a static house, but it still suffers the same problem. Either you instance it in which case you aren't really showcasing anything, or you don't in which case the skies above orgrimmar and stormwind will just end up blotted out by everyone's blimpmobile.
Add the ability to destroy enemy faction blimps.
then add a massive bonus to doing so (+1000 gold/honor/currency)

That way the only guilds that will have blimps then are the ones that can afford to protect it.

Lncredible

Mar 23, 2009
Yeah I thought that too. Someone clever would have to work out the motions of where they can/can't go, where they can/can't dock. Whether they disappeared when unmanned, whether you could summon them..

Lots of possibilities.

Add the ability to destroy enemy faction blimps.
then add a massive bonus to doing so (+1000 gold/honor/currency)

That way the only guilds that will have blimps then are the ones that can afford to protect it.
Haha yeah.. On PVP servers perhaps this could be so. On PVE I guess you could just flag/unflag your ship for PVP. Or simply have a PVP game where you could sign your ship up!

EDIT: Ever since the lootship battle in ICC ive wanted a PVP version. :)

Kyoufuu

Mar 12, 2009
RuneScape did it first.

To deal with the space, they had house portals in certain locations, which would teleport you to your house or to a friend's (assuming said house was located there), which were essentially their own instances. If they ever have house portals in WoW, you know who they stole it from.

Vivicide

Mar 20, 2010
As a former 8-year veteran of Ultima Online which has amazing housing I can say that player housing rules but it wouldn't work in World of Warcraft, the game world is just too small for it given how many players the game has. It would only work if it was instanced.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
This is actually something that as a whole WoW generally fails at.

Even after five years of playing it and sticking to a single character for about 4 and a half years of it I never really felt like I owned the character or that there was any sense of progress.

People can joke about it but when you're moving from continent to continent to deal with the perils of angry boars, scorpids and inventive new monster "X" and it's the same thing over and over you never really feel like level 85 is any different from 10 except that maybe your bag of tricks is a bit more bursting at the seams. And player housing kind of fits into this. Housing in general for WoW. It's always struck me as odd that these characters that have been functioning in a major role for the game for the last five years haven't really left their mark on it except in the sense that any other NPC could have. Even killing the last boss in Wrath of the Lich King wasn't something the players really owned.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
Back in the day of my wow playing, right after the 2nd expansion and the again being nixed for player housing, I remember a big push by the community to implement guiding housing. Even with that idea, it go no where.

Blizzard is only interested finding new ways to get you to spend real money to buy worthless items, such a mounts and pets.