World of Warcraft: Why is it hated by so many gamers?

asiepshtain

Apr 28, 2008
Gonna open the subject a little wider here:

Why the hell should we hate any game?

This shit be voluntary, no body is forcing you to pay blizzard ( well not until the activision-blizzard-NSA merger that is). There are many games that are worse then WOW, I present http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/bigrigsotrr/review.html as proof.

I don't think we should waste energy on hating entertainment, just vote with your cash and don't play it.

Mintycabbage

Dec 3, 2008
I hate it because WoW stole my friends. I am serious. All they talk about is their epic gear and how the hoard say KEK instead of LOL. I don't understand what the hell they're going on about. I have never played WoW so some of you may think I being a bit prejudgemental (oh big word) but after having put up with it for 3 bloody months I am pretty sure I don't want to play it and a I god-Damn know that I HATE THAT SOUL SUCKING, LIFE DRAINING, EXCUSE FOR A GAME THAT PEOPLE CALL WORLD OF WARCRAFT. Now if you don't mind I have to got to my anger management class.

asiepshtain

Apr 28, 2008
Mintycabbage said:
I hate it because WoW stole my friends. I am serious. All they talk about is their epic gear and how the hoard say KEK instead of LOL. I don't understand what the hell they're going on about. I have never played WoW so some of you may think I being a bit prejudgemental (oh big word) but after having put up with it for 3 bloody months I am pretty sure I don't want to play it and a I god-Damn know that I HATE THAT SOUL SUCKING, LIFE DRAINING, EXCUSE FOR A GAME THAT PEOPLE CALL WORLD OF WARCRAFT. Now if you don't mind I have to got to my anger management class.
Seems to me you hate your friends not WOW, or at least should.

megatron2.0

Feb 18, 2009
Wow is EXTREMELLY VERY VERY addiciting, On the addicting scale right with crack and pot. But its not very fun , just addicting. ITS IS VERY VERY repetive. AT level 10 you do a quest and at level 76, 1 years of game play later, you go to the same guy to do almost the exact same thing execpt with diffrent guy to kill and diffrent reward.

ui264

Feb 10, 2009
Too bad they're all too busy playing oblivion to read this and start playing WoW. -_-

Fronken

May 10, 2008
Dangernick42 said:
to as many as 1000 players (raids)
Wait what!?

i've been playing the game for about 4 years and i have never seen any raid even close to that number, and the fact that the biggest raid group possible to create consists of 40 players doesnt really help your statement.

100 players?, sure, i've seen Capital City raids as big as that, even a bit bigger, but thats 100, not 1000.

That combined with the fact that the server cant take more than a couple of hundreds of players at the same place before crashing doesnt really help either, biggest crowd of characters i've seen in WoW was around 400, and that was back when Ahn'Qiraj was opened, and the server went down repeatadly during that time.

So no, 1000 people can Not participate in the same activity at once.

zacaron

Apr 7, 2008
a lot of people just dont understand warcraft, but that said it is VERY addicting I had to get to 80 before I could even thing about quiting. now Im just trying to think of something to fill the void... perhaps warhammer online

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Its always listed as "best of" but i never saw it. I have some friends who play/played it and when thye stopped they just coudlnt go back and now hate it. Others are still with it but arent warcraft nerds thank god.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Abedeus said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
Halo is average based on reviews. And the fact that on PC it came out two years too late.

Halo 2 requires Vista, which pre-SP1 was almost unusable by anyone sane.
Halo on PC may have been ranked "average" but it was nothing more than a port of the Halo experience onto a PC. I'll grant you that, compared to it's conteporaies, it wasn't nearly so stellar 2 years after the fact.

Vista problems are nothing but opinion. I have used vista since it launched on my primary gaming system, and the ONLY problems I've encountered were compatability issues with some XP software.
[/quote]
What do you consider superior - a fine restaurant, where you can eat a lot and pay for everything you ate, but not many people eat at, or a cheap hot dog shack, where you pay little for... a hog anus and a poor quality bun. Which you probably won't eat, as there is a bug on the other end.

WoW is the hot dog shack, where a lot of people eat, because it's cheap (in other words, EASY).
[/quote]

In this case, attempting to quantify different MMO's as different styles of resturant is an inaccurate argument, as that is based on little more than perception. MMO's all cost about the same price to participate in, meaning a better analogy is say WoW is McDonalds and Burger King is, say Warhammer Online. In this fashion, the principle of consumption once again comes into play. You have a variety of product lines delivering a similar experience with a few key differences. Comparing a five star resturant to a fast food joint is not comparing competing products, because they're aimed at utterly different market segments. This is the same reason Jaguar is not considered a competitor for Saturn - the product lines target different groups.

Opinion based on the above - Because of the clear influence of WoW on every single aspect of MMO design, to claim a distaste for WoW in a very general way (i.e. I HATE WOW because it SUX!)
Okay, I dislike people that say only "I HATE IT BECAUSE SO AND STFU!!11". But I gave a clear reason why I detest it - too easy, too little sense of self-esteem after "winning" at something, boredom and grindness.

Diablo 2 made grind fun. WoW failed to do so.
[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. I loved diablo 2 but I never did fall for WoW.

FACT - Every MMO made SINCE WoW has had to contend for a player base that consists mostly of players who at some point or another have played WoW.
More reasons to hate it. WoW is hated in same was as those stupid TV reality shows.

They are easy to watch, produce and maintain. People like them. But that doesn't really mean those shows are good...
[/quote]
This is, more or less the very argument you were trying to debunk in the first place. I said people hate it because it's popular and then you admit some parts of your distate is based on it's popularity.

Also, WoW appeals mostly to either the "casual" older players, that are too old for anything hardcore (harder than the rest of the genre), or younger players that want a nice looking cartoonish game with low difficulty level. And those two groups get what they are coming for, because Blizzard is interested only in $, so he lowers the difficulty even more.

Hardcore players play the game, and if they ignore the stupidly low challenge, beat the content and move on.
Hardcore players represent a tiny, almost inconsential fraction of the gaming public acording to recent studies. By producing a game that is MORE accessable to a wider audience, Blizzard created a model that every MMO since has vainly tried to emulate. Those games that focus very heavily on the "hardcore" tend to fair poorly (See Eve Online's mere 250,000 players as an example, in spite of it's long history).

Not everyone playing a game wants an experience that requires an engineering degree to properly craft an item, as an example. Besides, the diffrences between "hardcore" and "casual" when it comes to mmo often amount to just one single thing: How long does a player have to play to accomplish a simple task?. If it's quick an easy, it's well suited to the casual gamer. If it takes ages, it's for the hardcore. Given that each moment you play a game has an associated dollar value attached, you'll find that the price/reward system tends to be fairly shy on hardcore games.

asiepshtain

Apr 28, 2008
megatron2.0 said:
Wow is EXTREMELLY VERY VERY addiciting, On the addicting scale right with crack and pot. But its not very fun , just addicting. ITS IS VERY VERY repetive. AT level 10 you do a quest and at level 76, 1 years of game play later, you go to the same guy to do almost the exact same thing execpt with diffrent guy to kill and diffrent reward.
is it? I wonder.

WOW is addictive, I agree. Hell, I know I had a hard time quitting it.
Then again, Gaming is addictive. This very site is called "The Escapist". The whole gaming thing is about detachment and obsession, at least in my eyes.

WOW in my eyes isn't more addictive, it's just unending. When I got locked on a different game, it would eventually end or I get bored. WOW keeps changing, so the addiction stays. Also the social elements erase the "I should get out more" effect that takes you away from normal games.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I hate it because it corrupted every other MMO out there just because it was making more money, I still like Blizzard though!

ui264

Feb 10, 2009
Nazulu said:
I hate it because it corrupted every other MMO out there just because it was making more money, I still like Blizzard though!
It didn't corrupt them. It influenced them to rip it off as much as they could while making it as unnoticeable as possible.

(IMO)

Knighty-boy

Oct 29, 2008
it gives all other gamers who are respectable bad press. especially players of WoW harsh to say but that game makes us look bad

but i could be wrong

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Broloth said:
Valiance said:
Broloth said:
Only two things I had a problem with.

Dangernick42 said:
-The gameplay: Walk up to this, rightclick. Spam 1. Okay, do that again. This is levels 1-80 aside from the random gimmick quests. If you're a ranged class, leftclick something, get in range, 2222222222222222222222 until it dies, and then repeat. THAT IS THE WHOLE COMBAT SYSTEM. There is no skill, there is no aiming. It is gear, and if you know what a "rotation" is, later on (read: summon water elemental, frostboltx99).
This is any MMORPG.

Dangernick42 said:
~Racials: If they didn't let people use racials in arena, I'd be fine with it. The game is stupid imbalanced as is. NE rogues got another level of stealth, Tauren ANYTHING got warstomp (reason I lost the 2100 game), Orcs Warriors basically got two death wishes, and what the hell? Dwarves get stoneform and TREASURE FINDING. HELL YES. Oh, and undead get -another- fear break, and humans get a reputation gain. Gnomes get another PvP trinket on a 1:30 cooldown. That is stupid powerful.
Will of the Forsaken: Removes any Charm, Fear and Sleep effect. Since only 3 classes can fear another player (Priest, Warrior, Warlock) and since the only class with a Charm is Warlock with a succubus out, AND no one can sleep Humanoids, I don't see how this is a "free break".

How does Treasure Finding or Diplomacy help in an arena? And how come you mentioned Diplomacy and not Perception (yes double Human Rogue beat any other combo because they could see stealthies first and 'cause double blind/sap/vanish was pretty OP at the time) or Every Man for Himself: Removes all movement impairing effects and all effects which cause loss of control of your character?
You quoted me, not dangernick.

Anyway.

1: That is not entertaining or enticing gameplay. That should not be how MMO games are, it is not fun or exciting. Planetside is an MMO'rpg' , is it not? It doesn't work that way.

2: I said FEAR BREAK, not free break, because it is a fear break. And you should not look at it as "three classes." You should look at it as Powerful combos? Warrior/druid, Priest/rogue...And it helps against these powerful combos in 2s. 3s, RMP, for example, was popular, and it helped against that.

When I played, Every Man for Himself wasn't there. I forgot about Perception. It was overpowered. They recently changed that too. Besides, if you wanna talk about perception, that's only helpful against TWO classes (unless you count mage invisibility), and by your measurement of effectiveness, is even less useful.

Every Man for Himself just lets you equip another trinket. It doesn't stack with your PvP trinket. So you have the option of a little more burst or survivability...But you'll be stuck in the second stun or a fear either way.

Anyway, Humans have that, which is arguably good. Perception was nerfed and they got that instead. Dwarves have stoneform. That helps them against a few melee classes (extra armor oh boy), and rogues because of bleeds/poisons. That's about it, at the time, anyway. Draenei are worthless. Gift of the Naaru (is?) was a total joke. Nightelves had shadowmeld, which was fine for druids to get a little extra free drinking, but it really depended on your play-style. Gnomes have a great racial, and that's it for the Alliance. Overall mediocrity.

Horde, the only races with bad racials are trolls, really, and even they have relatively alright racials. Bloodelves have an extra silence, a ranged "+combat" move (mana tap stopping my druid drinking). Tauren get extra HP (it was more back then...), and WARSTOMP, something that ought to be removed from the game for being so good. Orcs get their Blood Fury, and a frickin' stun resist (I know it was changed to duration now, but that's still very good). Troll berserking is mediocre, and will of the forsaken is pretty good. Overall, they get better racials.

That's just how it is, alliance has more PvE focused racials, and horde have more PvP focused traits. Which is why I think racials should be disabled during arena... :/
The quoting thing got messed up for some reason.

1. Your first argument is completely a matter of opinion.
2. I did misread FEAR break as free break, sorry for that; and how come I can't look at it as "three classes" when you can look at Perception and say it's only good against two?
3. Mana Tap was removed from the game. Warstomp sucks, it has a cast time (which is pushbackable, so just move out of the 3 yard range), suffers diminishing returns, meaning ANY stun shortens its duration to 1 second and since, mages, priests, rogues, warriors, druids, warlocks, and paladins can stun, then there will be a DR.
4. Stoneform meant that any Dwarf was immune to Viper Sting, a staple in most teams (I'm talking strictly 5v5 which is what Blizzard balanced arenas around) season 3 and 4. It also meant a Dwarf rogue could vanish away from warriors and druids.
5. A double Sub Rogue team was unbeatable (if they weren't retarded of course), the only thing that could beat it was a double Human Sub Rogue team. Perception was too overpowered, that's why they nerfed it.
6. You make it seem like Blood Fury was this amazing ability. Most orcs never used it because, why put mortal strike on yourself for some extra damage? It didn't increase the damage dealt to you like Deathwish, it decreased the healing you received (and don't say "oh they fixed it" 'cause you wouldn't know, you weren't around during those changes)
7. Every Man for Himself allows humans to get a second trinket, I know this might not seem like much, but if you look at some of the trinkets out there, that's amazing. A human lock could get Timbal's Focusing Crystal ON TOP of another IMBA spell damage trinket.
8. Night Elves also get a form of super dodge, since it effects ranged as well. At 80 that's equivalent to +~40 Dodge.
9. Gnomes racial is one of the most underrated racials in the game. It is usable against all classes too, unlike WotF.
10. Again, Wotf is ok, only good against 3 classes. Every Man for Himself is good against all of them.
11. Gift of the Naaru now scales with AP if you're melee, and they all get +~32 Hit rating. That's massive when it comes to min-maxing gear in order to hit the Hit cap.

You basically tried your hardest to bash (and leave out) the underrated Alliance racials, and then praise (and ignore the negativities) of the Horde racials, yeah, Alliance are gonna seem to suck if you put it that way.

Most OP racials in PvP are
Human
Bloodelf

Most OP Racials in PvE are
Draenei
NE

The dodge and hit are all that matters, tauren HP is 10% off base, which ise like 400HP, you get more for taking up mining.
When I played,

1% dodge was 1% dodge, and it was shit.
1% hit was 1% hit, and it was shit.
Sorry for being a Warrior, where viper sting doesn't affect me.
Yes, rogues are stupidly powerful.
Yes, gnome racial is imba.
No, human racial is not imba. Every Man for Himself gives you something you'd have -anyway-, and instead gives you the option to have another DPS trinket on (since I'd assume people would want burst).

This is bad because (easy, shortsighted example to demonstrate my point):
Vs PR
Priest fears:
Hu : Trinkets fear, gets blinded by rogue. - Cannot play for 8 seconds (or whatever)
UD : WotF's fear, trinkets blind. - Can play for 8 seconds(For slightly less dmg, no DPS trinket)

Blood fury made Orc a better choice for 2v2/3v3 arena (which is apparently imbalanced, but isn't removed from the game) because you were MS'd all the damn time ANYWAY, so why not get extra damage for it?

Warstomp was .5 sec when I played, mainly because if it was instant, their terrible game engine would let it be cast it while moving.

.5 sec is not interruptable, because of game lag. I quoted this previously. If I hit pummel when he's at .1 seconds of casting it, it hits after he already casts, or it hits, and he still casts it. That happened relatively often. It is a very good ability. Cast time is not a problem...the pushback is fine.

I love how you don't even mention treasure finding, or jewel crafting, or that enchanting bonus BE had, and how pointless some of them are.

The Alliance does have a few strong racials, I'm just saying Horde racials are overall better. There's a lot of luck involved anyway. When I played, tauren buff was 5% extra stamina, so it seemed to actually make a difference, since it scaled well and such...10.5 points of stam instead of other races every 10.

The thing is, both of us can argue a side fine. I didn't leave out racials intentionally, it's just "oh, dude, I have some extra expertise with axes" didn't seem to matter, because it's a chance to help me. Most players want controllable bonuses, either passive and on all the time (tauren HP buff) or activated to help when needed (gnome escape artist).

Things like 5 resistance (didn't they change that to like 2%) to a school of magic don't seem to help in the big picture.

I don't know all the facts, and neither do you. I used to, and even then, a lot of it comes down to luck and chance. Because player A has a 51% chance to win, and player B has a 49% chance to win, that doesn't mean player A wins. The whole game is based on luck, dice rolls, etc, etc...And you strive for stats to influence a dice roll. What skill is there in that? Oh, yeah, hiding behind pillars.

This thread is about why WoW is hated, and yeah, I have a very rash opinion on this game, and as a player, I find it to be a bad game. I can't statistically prove that it's a bad game, because all that people do is point to the fact that it sells. I cannot prove that it's not an entertaining experience, but I personally didn't enjoy the game, and only really enjoyed the social environment, which is achievable the same in any other game I've seen.

ZantetsukenQ

Sep 25, 2008
I was sucked into the WoW thing for a year. I mainly played it since I was a Warcraft fan, and since I was a student in my first year moved out from the family house, it was cheaper to subscribe than buy games. I made a hell of a lot of great friends online, with whom I am still in touch.

I now loathe the game , which involved large amounts of online time and boardered on obsession, so yes there was a fair amount of addiction. I never want to play again and I am really dubious about playing another MMO (Star Wars and DC Universe mainly), just because I know how I can be when I get obsessed about nerd stuff.

By all means, WoW players keep on playing and enjoying it, but you will no doubt look back and see how much time you could have had to do other stuff, as I did.

hippykiller

Dec 28, 2008
Okay i just want to say something, if you think that world of warcraft is in any way dumb,stupid,gay etc. then you should go to hell you frigging TWAT!!!

Knighty-boy

Oct 29, 2008
hippykiller said:
Okay i just want to say something, if you think that world of warcraft is in any way dumb,stupid,gay etc. then you should go to hell you frigging TWAT!!!
as i said earlier, they make us look bad

Dr. DeLorean

Dec 12, 2008
I agree with whoever said those who play it, good for you, those who don't, good for you too. Games are subjective, just because a large number of people play it does not mean those who don't must be misinformed, or are missing out on the ultimate gaming experience.
Two things I dislike about it? The speech that's involved is one, all this LOLing and Teabagging and I totally fragged dat n00b. (None of you probably speak like this but the problem is someone does, stereotypes start for a reason)But the point is I never understood why they couldn't just use English or Korean or French or German or Esperanto, any of these would've been fine. Just not this childish pseudo-language that perpetuates the image of all gamers being reclusive hermits with pale, vampiric complexions and an aversion to social interaction. Second problem is the monthly fee, 8 quid isn't much, but down here in Australia it's $20-30 a month depending on where you buy it and when, which is a third of the price of a regular game. So the way I see it you're buying the same game 4 times each year, and that makes no sense.
I don't post often, but I post long.

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
if i want grind'o'rama i'll just go about my ordinary life, MMOs in general get on my nerves due to the fact that the whole idea is a bit ... odd, a nice homley RPG with dragons and whatnot is fine for me and no anoyying otherplayersto spurt random slurs like 'lol lolz rofl rofl i iz uber noob killa king rofl'.