World of Warcraft's Most Popular Names Include Arthas, Sephiroth

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I have Apis, Hapis, Serapis, and TheApis as my main Tauren characters. Sadly TherAPISt was rejected.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apis_(god)

My main is called Gumibear / Pandaren Monk

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
DugMachine said:
Not surprising, even I fell into that "Gotta have an edgy and dark name" camp. Glad I moved past that.
Hehe, this was the only way I was ever different from the avarage WoW player, in that all my chars names were along the lines of stuff I liked the sound of, hence "inky", "manoeuvre"
And my personal fave, "swash"

I was a happy bunny.

OT: doesn't surprise me, Grimdark has always been in the hearts of pre teens...

DarkSeraphim02

Feb 28, 2011
While I am pretty crappy at thinking up original names, I do at least have one original name I use occasionally. Rika Kaileigh.

I didn't use that name when I played WoW though, instead I went with Myria, my alts names being Lichkeit and Judecca (that one worrying my slightly as it was a two fold reference, one of which might have been skirting the rules a bit).

In FF14 my main goes by Koudelka Lasant.

I'd much rather see players naming themselves after other characters than see people running around with handles like "longschlong" "pres obama" or "thanks obama". I wish I was making those up, but sadly I'm not.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
I like how RP servers having more unique names is considered worthy of mention. Firstly, you'd expect it anyway, and now that I think about it didn't WoW have rules about characters having to have "real" names?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I generally name my characters after an obscure characters from warhammer 40k, historical figures, or something that pertains to the class.

My characters are:

Ghazghkull - Orc Warrior *Reference to Ghazghkull Magg Uruk Thraka
Gorkamungus - Orc Shaman *Reference to the Warhamer Orc god, Gork
Marxist - Orc Rogue *Because reasons
Engels - Tauren Priest *Because companion with Marx
Ghaandi - Tauren Druid *No idea why
Canonize - Blood Elf Paladin *To canonize means "To make scripture holy", since it's a paladin
Nihilian - Orc Warlock *Obscure Chaos sorcerer name
Anggrath - Orc Deathknight *Demon Guard of Khorne
Shongmao - Pandaren Monk *Means "Panda Bear" in Mandarin, my native language.

I put a lot of thought and time into my character names.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I generally go for RP-like names with characters on MMOs I play. If possible, I'll try to make sure it fits with the race's name standards. It's a bit more difficult if the race is known for having short names which can be difficult to grab. If that happens, I'll try to make up a last name or title for them. I will sometimes make exceptions with humans/human-like characters where I'll just use random options if a random button is available. Also, I'm curious to know how many variations of "Po" or "Kungfu Panda" may exist since the release of Mists o Pandaria. A lot of people assumed servers would be flooded with such characters XD.

Zagzag said:
I like how RP servers having more unique names is considered worthy of mention. Firstly, you'd expect it anyway, and now that I think about it didn't WoW have rules about characters having to have "real" names?
Last time I played, they did have those rules on the RP servers, but it wasn't enforced. At least, that's what I've heard from friends who have played longer than I have.

Arcanite Ripper

May 1, 2010
Yea, it's no surprise. I saw a guild named Warriors of War once.

For me however WoWnaming was an ART FORM; whether it was Lockrobster, Powerthirst, Gimmeyoass, Goteamretard ...

Then the flaggings happened.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
Wasn't the problem that WoW didn't allow spaces in the name? So after a while it could take a while to find a name that wasn't already taken. I had that problem with SWTOR, every name I tried was taken. Not to mention that every name in their stupid random name generator was taken as well. I eventually found a name in a foreign book of baby names, and even that took about a dozen different attempts. Took me at least an hour just to get that one name.

But my great MMO love was the late City of Heroes. That was an alt-aholics dream. Originally the game allowed for 88 different characters (8 per server/11 servers), grew to 132 with City of Villans (+4 characters per server), and by the games end (if you bought the extra slots and were a subscriber) you could have 768 characters (48 per server/16 servers). But the devs didn't put up with ripping off names from other sources. Even trying to misspell or add extra extra characters didn't always work. If you picked something obscure (like I did a few times) you would probably get away with it, but the devs made it very easy to report obvious name stealing. All you had to do was send in a /petition with the characters name and where they ripped it off from and within 48 hours they would become Generic Hero 5713 5648 6518.

As for my CoH character names, there were a few duplicates across a few servers but otherwise I tried to give each one an original name. Warning, list is kinda long.

Abyssal Bunny
Amber Frost
Amber Spark
Annabelle
Annabelle Arcane
Arctic Destroyer
Arctic Hunter
Aryanna
Ashen Pyre
Ashen Scourge
Astral Smite
Azure Flame
Bleak Rose
Blue Bit
Brinna
Burning Bride
Chrono Gal
Copper Fist
Crimson Hurricane
Dago Bob
Dark Rose
Doctor Caleb
Doctor Lilith
Eiryss
Ellen Rose
Elona
Fire Willow
Frost Aid
Goblyn Queen
Gold Dragoon
Ice Fae
Ice Sidhe
Indigo Moon
Issa
Jade Ripper
Jade Slugger
Kt'Ch
Lady Annabelle
Lorella
Mistress Delilah
Mistress Lilith
Morgeth
Mr. Blackmoor
Mrs. Blackmoor
Pain Pixie
Pink Defender
Pink Razor
Rainna Decaux
Red Bit
Retro Gal
Rose Rain
Rose Talon
Rose Vine
Scarlet Inferno
Simona Tomescu
Sonic Tremor
Sorscha
Sprig
Thought Mistress
Violetia
Willowsong
Yllani

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I would bet hard money that the overwhelming majority of players with trademarked character names are Blood Elves.

Not being snippy, I like the Blood Elves and I'm pretty much "Horde for life." But even I roll my eyes whenever LFG puts me in a group with a Belf named "Narutoe."

It's a matter of pride that my main character has managed to go the entire run of the game with a unique name.
That's not to say I don't fall into the goofy name trap on occasion. I've rolled more than a couple of Trolls named Glowskull in my time.

ClassicJokester

I Love You.
Apr 16, 2010
At the time of this writing, I'm still the only Khamke in WoW, which is sort of neat. Turns out its an actual name (Indian/Tibetian?) which I had no idea of when I made my toon, just sounded like a name a Tauren might have. Pretty much all my characters have RP-suitable names (being that most are on an RP server) but even though I moved Khamke to a PvP realm recently, and even though he became a Troll and so the name doesn't quite suit him RP-wise, I still couldn't bring myself to use the name change that comes with a transfer.

There's just something compelling about having an identity (or name, at least) in such a large game that is literally unique.

Burning Legion-US
Khamke - Troll Druid
Hooche - F - Undead DK

Wyrmrest Accord-US
Bismaru - F - Pandaren Monk
Silarian - M - BE Priest
Zantaka - M - Troll Shaman
Fritzgaut - M - Undead Warrior
Eruel - M - BE Hunter
Alastania - F - BE Death Knight
Biraan - M - Draenei Paladin
Hooche - F - Undead Rogue
Zimbala - F - Troll Warlock
Maldiian - M - Night Elf Druid
Though on the topic of clever names, I think my favorite one I've seen recently was the Tauren Feral Druid 'Milkyrips'. I'm not even into stoner culture but the name working on 3 levels really struck me as funny (Rip is one of the main abilities that Feral Druids use, and Milky should be obvious as relates to being a cow person).

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
I shall admit in shame that my first Star Trek Online Character's name was Mackenzie Calhoun, and the ship was the Excalibur.
Sound familiar?

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
BrotherRool said:
Athena? That's a big surprise. Is there a big cultural show/book in the US that I don't know about? It seems weird that they'd settle on that one goddess (especially since it's a single-gender female name)
She's also simply one of the most well known gods of the pantheon. Sure, people know of Zeus but, for whatever reason, don't particularly like him - maybe his penchant for animal themed rape has something to do with it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I had several WoW characters and, except for one, I just used the character name generator for them because I suck at thinking of names. The only one I didn't use the name generator for was my Human Paladin named Gotthew.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
while the druids of World of Warcraft officially win the "creativity of a rock" award, as the most popular druid player name is simply "druid".
I think the history of the dr00d class may have something to do with that. They're like the redheaded stepchildren of WoW. For one reason or another, they've always had some sort of stigma to them.

Even moreso than Paladins.

The uncreative names probably came from people who only played one to faff about, or exploit the class that was flavor of the month... those rare times when druids were flavor of the month, anyway.

I say this as a former druid main. I actually liked the class. :p I found other classes... boring.

Clifford Beasley

Apr 18, 2012
I really miss name policies in fantasy games. I'll admit to having fun naming characters that I didn't really plan on taking seriously. Don't currently play WoW, but I have a druid named Standin that was meant to be exactly that. I do have fun with pet names though. My favorites being a crab named GarlicButter and a bear named CrankySteve.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Eclectic Dreck said:
BrotherRool said:
Athena? That's a big surprise. Is there a big cultural show/book in the US that I don't know about? It seems weird that they'd settle on that one goddess (especially since it's a single-gender female name)
She's also simply one of the most well known gods of the pantheon. Sure, people know of Zeus but, for whatever reason, don't particularly like him - maybe his penchant for animal themed rape has something to do with it.
Someone pointed out that Athene was a very famous and controversial WoW figure, so a lot of it is probably based around him

Harleykin

Sep 11, 2013
so someone called "drachen" (german for dragon) get's into detail about "creativity" ...yeah sounds right