World of Warcraft's Night Elf Gets a Face-lift For Warlords of Dreanor

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
Why focus on the Night Elves though? All the old races are getting new models.

It's the sex appeal, isn't it? I sure hope not. The memory of 'that one Night Elf video' still haunts me.
Unless I'm mistake the reason is because the other ones were already revealed.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Qizx said:
Cowabungaa said:

It's the sex appeal, isn't it? I sure hope not. The memory of 'that one Night Elf video' still haunts me.
anthony87 said:
Cowabungaa said:
Why focus on the Night Elves though?
Because the new models have only just been revealed. Hence, news.
The NE's weren't already as well? That's surprising. But then again, the possible explanation I already supposed could work here as well though. They're quite an effective marketing tool.

I, for one, am more looking forward to my Undead looking even more ghastly and my Dwarf looking even more gruff.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
Qizx said:
Cowabungaa said:

anthony87 said:
Cowabungaa said:
Why focus on the Night Elves though?
Because the new models have only just been revealed. Hence, news.
The NE's weren't already as well? That's surprising. But then again, the possible explanation I already supposed could work here as well though. They're quite an effective marketing tool.

I, for one, am more looking forward to my Undead looking even more ghastly and my Dwarf looking even more gruff.
Would appear as though I'm correct after re-reading the article:
Steven Bogos said:
At last year's Blizzcon, Blizzard announced that all of the original eight World of Warcraft races [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129494-Check-Out-World-of-Warcrafts-Updated-Player-Models] would be getting a face-lift for the upcoming Warlords of Dreanor expansion. At the time, we only saw new models for the Orc, Gnome, Dwarf, Undead and Tauren, but now we've been given a glimpse at how Night Elves will look in the expansion - at least, the females. Check them out below:

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
My main is a Night Elf, and I'm delighted with the new model. Especially loving that they're making them more muscular and realistically proportioned - well done Blizzard!

[small]Also, those thighs... yum ;)[/small]

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Vegosiux said:
RJ 17 said:
Really? People want to turn the Night Elves into vampires? Le sigh...
Well, technically, sharp canines have been with the night elves since their inception back in Warcraft 3 (official Blizzard art):

It's subtle, but it's there. And they've not been too vampiric so far, have they ^^
This I know, and there's nothing wrong with that. But considering this image (which is what I was going off of), I'd say there's no real way to implement such a subtle detail so that it'd be noticeable without being too noticeable, if you know what I mean.

The purple lipstick certainly doesn't help her not look like a vampire, for that matter. =3
ha! But too be fair, they're, you know, purple. Even if their lips weren't purple, can you blame them for wearing that lipstick color? xP
Cowabungaa said:

As others said, Blizzard has been doing a very slow and gradual reveal, starting with the two (orcs, dwarves) at blizzcon and several others over time afterwards on their main website (human female, tauren male, draenei female, orc female, dwarf female, etc etc)

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
But my Blood Elves need some love too! Yeah, not as much as the poor vanilla characters, but help.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Ferisar said:
Smilomaniac said:
Back when you encountered Night Elves in Warcraft 3, you got the impression that they were some seriously dangerous warriors that might be a real danger to the Orcs in hand to hand combat(specifically the women). I'm glad that they're regaining a bit of physical presence and savagery (especially if you consider the roar in one of the pictures). Now they just need to be a bit taller.
So, I did a look-see at the original post on the WoW site, and just realized that half the playerbase is losing their shit over the lack of fangs. I figure it's relevant enough to this comment. But yeah, they're still getting them. So, if scarier elves is what we want...

guess that's what we're getting
Since when did Nelfs have fangs? I have never heard or seen this before.

Cowabungaa said:
The memory of 'that one Night Elf video' still haunts me.
You've gotten me really curious now.

Anyways, hopefully this reveal will go smoothly but i highly doubt it will. People on all sides tend lend too much scrutiny to things like this Hell, we already have someone saying that the added muscle tone might be a problem because it means people will go prancing their Nelf about in nothing but their small clothes. You just can't win.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
Damn She looks great.

I always kinda hated the stick-figure rubbish. I think they got a good balance here

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
SacremPyrobolum said:
Since when did Nelfs have fangs? I have never heard or seen this before.
Since always, actually. They were more "pronounced canines" rather than straight-up vampire fangs, but there it is. It was never that pronounced though, and not very easy to see unless you are zoomed pretty closely. There's a fan theory that they're the left-overs from tusks as it's very much hinted that Night Elves are the descendants of Trolls who evolved due to their proximity to the original Well of Eternity.

I think I know too much WoW lore.

EDIT:
Also explains why the Blood Elves don't have them, since their migration away from the Well and a complete switch from nocturnal existence further removes most of their original traits outside of looking totes fab and having the elongated ears.

But really, why care about losing some fangs when you have the best hair ever, right?

nymz

Apr 1, 2010
Loving the new models, but they can't take too many liberties with musculature and such, since they are super careful not to deviate too much from the original models people have played for years. Which is both good and bad in some ways, I feel.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
BigTuk said:
Yeah.. pity all of that is gonna you know like be hidden under what ever armour you're wearing.

Seriously Blizzard why even bother?
With the model comes new animations, and I assume the option to hide your helmet and cloak will remain in the game. Plus it's a bonus for Roleplayers who usually take more care in the appearance of their character.

OT: It looks nice, and the face being blank is just the default so I look forward to the updated versions of them.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Aeshi said:
Gotta say it's kinda impressive that an engine as old as WoW's can still have that kind of graphical performance.
Every expansion they overhaul the engine. It is definitely not even close to the original engine. There was a slight improvement in the Burning Crusade. They added more lighting effects and the phase technology in Wrath. The biggest overhaul was in Cataclysm when the completely overhauled the graphics and lighting systems, beefed up the amount of polys and the resolution and included more maps to the graphics. Which the biggest change was the water rendering.

Cataclysm may have worse in the gameplay and story sections, however it was a greatly improved engine. They kept pushing the engine throughout Cataclysm, with the last improvements to the sky boxes, as seen in Dragon Soul dungeons and Raid. A lot of vanilla was remodeled and re-textured for Cataclysm

Most of the improvements in Mists of Pandaria and Warlords revolve around their terrain creation tools. Most of the problems with WoW is because most of the models are outdated, not just the character models, but even the terrain and objects were built for the older engines. It would be to much work to remodel everything at once. I believe Warlords was originally planned to revamp Outlands, just like Cataclysm did with vanilla. However after the mistakes of Cataclysm, I think they choose to start from scratch, hence going back in time.