World of Warships Opens The Floodgates With Open Beta

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
World of Warships Opens The Floodgates With Open Beta

World of Warships open beta is finally available to the public, complete with additional vessels and brand-new signal flags to display with them.

World of Warships <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140177-World-of-Warships-Carriers-Play-Like-an-RTS-In-The-Middle-of-an-Arena-Shooter>is quite the hotly anticipated MMO at this point, being an online strategy game that expands the World of Tanks concept into naval warfare. Of course the problem with anticpated games is we're always waiting for the dang things - this game has been in development for years and only reached closed beta last March. Thankfully, if you haven't had the chance to experience the joys of commanding a digital ship alongside a larger fleet, the wait is over: <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/14054-Book-Excerpt-Details-Victor-Kislyi-s-Vision-for-World-of-Tanks-D>Wargaming has opened up World of Warships is in open beta, complete with new ships and new features.

"World of Warships' closed beta was strong out of the gate and showed no signs of slowing as players and streamers embraced the game, then took to the high seas for legendary naval combat," Jake Neri, Publishing Producer of Wargaming NA explained. "Participation was solid and a community of passionate, dedicated players was born to help shape the game with their feedback. We can only match that by working on the game with just as much passion. Building on all of this enthusiasm we look forward to welcoming even more players into the Open Beta test for a game we are so proud of."

World of Warships is a free-to-play, online wargame where players take part in naval battles using historical vessels. The open beta provides access to 10 maps where 24 captains can fight for supremacy using over 80 warships. Along with new Soviet and British ships, the open beta lets players try out a signal flag customization system. Each signal flag can be earned in battle and displayed on your ship, providing buffs like extra credits or experience points - along with the obvious decorative interests.

[gallery=4375]

World of Warships' closed beta has already been a resounding success for Wargaming, bringing over 410,000 players to the game. An open beta will blow those floodgates open even further as the company gears up for an offical launch, ideally sometime this year. If you're interested in experiencing the game for yourself, you can check it out from <a href=http://worldofwarships.com>the official website.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I must admit,

I still don't get this new definition of MMO. How exactly does a game with "10 maps where 24 captains can fight" qualify as an MMO?

Isn't pretty much every single game with online capability a MMO if we go by that?

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
So can I buy the Yamato with real money and dominate every map yet or do I have wait till release?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Darks63 said:
So can I buy the Yamato with real money and dominate every map yet or do I have wait till release?
The patch 0.4.0.1 has temporarily disabled higher tier premiums for a period of time because of newcomers.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Charcharo said:
Darks63 said:
That does not happen in Wargaming titles. Yamato is not OP either. It has to contend with Montana and other tier 10s.
Damn It would be cool to bring some 460mm domination to the high seas. But for real that class of ship outgunned every ship in the world it should be op.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Charcharo said:
Darks63 said:
Charcharo said:
Darks63 said:
That does not happen in Wargaming titles. Yamato is not OP either. It has to contend with Montana and other tier 10s.
Damn It would be cool to bring some 460mm domination to the high seas. But for real that class of ship outgunned every ship in the world it should be op.
Except the Montana. And this is a MP game. It must be balanced. Else it is bad.

Also, Yamato has to contend with MONSTER ships of tier 8-10. So it is not going to be invulnerable.

*EDIT*
I meant that Tier 10 ships cant be bought with real money.
Yeah I know I was watching some closed beta games and It looks pretty fun except Carriers look to be pretty powerful.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Darks63 said:

You haven't played the game if you believe a BB can dominate, I'll take my tier 5 DD against any BB in the game.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Darks63 said:
Yeah I know I was watching some closed beta games and It looks pretty fun except Carriers look to be pretty powerful.
Not if you keep your eyes open only those who tunnel vision on one target get killed by carriers, and after all the nerfs going anything in carriers is hard now.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Carriers got nerfed? Aww.. were they OP? it's been a fair while since I played and I don't remember them being that bad. Well the lower tier ones at any rate.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Shinkicker444 said:
Carriers got nerfed? Aww.. were they OP? it's been a fair while since I played and I don't remember them being that bad. Well the lower tier ones at any rate.
Everything's been getting nerfed because battleship players keep complaining about being killed when they go off alone and tunnel vision on a single enemy. The Russian forums especially seem to be about 80% complaining how everything but BB's are OP because they can't get 5+ kills every match.

There's even talk of boosting the automatic secondary guns to 10KM+ range so they can kill destroyers before they can even get in firing range like how bombers work in warthunder just fly high and straight and let the auto guns kill everything for you (this happens on realistic and sim battle a lot).

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Aww, those poor egos. Heaven forbid they stay and work as a team. All that would accomplish is everyone plays BBs.

Capcha: Do a little dance... make a little love, get down tonight.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
P-89 Scorpion said:
Shinkicker444 said:
Everything's been getting nerfed because battleship players keep complaining about being killed when they go off alone and tunnel vision on a single enemy. The Russian forums especially seem to be about 80% complaining how everything but BB's are OP because they can't get 5+ kills every match.

There's even talk of boosting the automatic secondary guns to 10KM+ range so they can kill destroyers before they can even get in firing range like how bombers work in warthunder just fly high and straight and let the auto guns kill everything for you (this happens on realistic and sim battle a lot).
Was gonna say - I've only really played Arcade battles in War Thunder and my gunners can't shoot worth shit. Neither can I, but that's not the point.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
So I saw CohCarnage streaming this game, and I'm a huge fan of ships. The frigate, cruiser, destroyer combat seemed straightforward. But how the heck does playing with an aircraft carrier work? I've heard it's like you're playing a mini RTS instead of the general game.

Also I wonder if any British ships would be available.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Ishal said:
So I saw CohCarnage streaming this game, and I'm a huge fan of ships. The frigate, cruiser, destroyer combat seemed straightforward. But how the heck does playing with an aircraft carrier work? I've heard it's like you're playing a mini RTS instead of the general game.

"Players will experience USA and Japanese ships at the start. After that, we plan to add other nations that took part in naval clashes: Britain, Germany, Russia/USSR, France, and Italy. We will also consider adding the Austro-Hungarian fleet as a separate nation, or include it as an aggregate team of smaller shipbuilding countries (namely Brazil, Argentina, Chile)."

From the F.A.Q. page of the Wargaming.net site.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Thyunda said:
Was gonna say - I've only really played Arcade battles in War Thunder and my gunners can't shoot worth shit. Neither can I, but that's not the point.
Go on the warthunder forums and look up sim battles there's a whole war were sim players team kill all bomber pilots because of how broken it is.

Sim battles are hard in warthunder, really hard. What happens is unpleasant people were loading up a bomber in sim battle and then after taking off would to turret view the plane would then fly on auto pilot to the target while the guns wrecked the sim fighter pilots trying to down them.

CaptainMidlands

Jul 6, 2010
Thyunda said:
Ishal said:

"Players will experience USA and Japanese ships at the start. After that, we plan to add other nations that took part in naval clashes: Britain, Germany, Russia/USSR, France, and Italy. We will also consider adding the Austro-Hungarian fleet as a separate nation, or include it as an aggregate team of smaller shipbuilding countries (namely Brazil, Argentina, Chile)."

From the F.A.Q. page of the Wargaming.net site.
Current plans seem to be Russia next and then Germany and then Britain, because you know two of the largest naval powerhouses of world war 2 should be put 2nd to a nation whose idea of naval supremacy was to take guns off there ships to be placed in land batteries in the Baltic and to defend the small Black Sea area in the Crimean region.

I'm not saying the Russian Navy didn't exist or contribute during world war 2 but i bet out of 100 people more could name an Italian or French ship from the WW2 era than a Russian one. On top of that current plans for Russian end game seems to be the usual "phantom" designs Russia gets given in all Wargaming games

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Its a great game, really wish I could be playing it right now.

Mind you, all my progress got reset with it going to Open.