World Record Rube Goldberg Machine Traces All of History in 244 Steps

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Well hot damn that was something. Gotta hand it to them, that's a pretty cool machine they've got there.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I didn't like it. I mean, it didn't even do a mundane task like wiping anyones ass or lighting a doobie.

Oh it watered a magical mechanical flower that didn't require watering I guess.

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
I feel like I should be listening to the big bang theory theme song while the video plays.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Very good feat of engineering there, all those connecting parts, telling a story. Woeful and highly limited understanding of history though. Yeah yeah, I know a lot is going to be left out.

In sum, it was far too American. But Americans never seem to realise that. Biblical flood? Fuck off, what about the spread of Islam, or the Greek world, or the Renaissance, or the great schism of the Roman world or the Protestant and Catholic split?

Or yeah, put in the rise of America and its contributions, but what about the other great empires and their contributions. It got Columbus, but skipped centuries of Colonialism.

Sep 14, 2009
wow pretty neat! for the small confined space it definitely had quite a bit going on.

i lol'd at the fact they included god in there (supposedly), i'm surprised no one has commented on that yet

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
008Zulu said:
There was a game back in the 90's called The Incredible Machine. Let you do stuff like what that video shows. They should make another game like that, was hella fun.
Oh my god I remember playing that game so much. I was amazed they never made a sequel or anything.

Dooly95

Jun 13, 2009
ShadowKatt said:
It may not be a record, but I maintain that this is and always will be the greatest rube goldberg machine every made.

Agree wholeheartedly.

I guess they don't qualify as they move around to able some of the switches? I saw that blue guy move and hold up a target which set off something else, and then he moved away again.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Bags159 said:
008Zulu said:
There was a game back in the 90's called The Incredible Machine. Let you do stuff like what that video shows. They should make another game like that, was hella fun.
Oh my god I remember playing that game so much. I was amazed they never made a sequel or anything.
If I knew how to code for the Android platform, I would make it myself.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I say old chap said:
Very good feat of engineering there, all those connecting parts, telling a story. Woeful and highly limited understanding of history though. Yeah yeah, I know a lot is going to be left out.

In sum, it was far too American. But Americans never seem to realise that. Biblical flood? Fuck off, what about the spread of Islam, or the Greek world, or the Renaissance, or the great schism of the Roman world or the Protestant and Catholic split?

Or yeah, put in the rise of America and its contributions, but what about the other great empires and their contributions. It got Columbus, but skipped centuries of Colonialism.
Someone's a bit grumpy. It's a machine built for a novelty contest, not a textbook being given out to school children.

Lunareclipse123

Aug 14, 2007
Mr. Omega said:
That is so fucking awesome. I love Rube Goldberg Machines. Still, bit of a long gap from the Middle Ages to WWII... but other than that, awesome.
Bit of a bigger gap between the Big Bang and the Dionsaurs...

I reckon anyone could build a machine to show all of time if you could just skip out a few billion years here and there whenever you liked

banthesun

Apr 15, 2009
Not the best Rube Goldberg machine I've seen (that'd be Ok Go's), or even the longest (that'd be some weird one I was shown in class that lasted for about fifteen minutes and utilised a bunch of chemical reactions as parts. Unfortunately I've forgoten what it was called). World records aren't what they used to be...

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
Oooh we set a record? That's really cool. We didn't win the competition though...the machine wouldn't get through all the steps so we were disqualified I believe. Ah, you win some you lose some.

Yeah this was done for the competition which means that it has to be rather small and contained. I think we won last year. Bwahahaa. I love going to a college where we have the largest Humans vs. Zombies game in the US, Rube Goldberg Competitions, and q pretty good quidditch team. College is great :p

Orannis0

Jul 12, 2009
The Incredible machine was a few years before me, but I remember playing The Incredible Toon Machine, which was essentially a remake with significantly better graphics (for the time at least).

Also, anyone else think that "flower" at the end was a Triffid?