world war 2 call of duty or modern warfare?

minisham

Mar 20, 2011
Having grown up on the ps2 i was obviously introduced to shooters mainly the call of duty series and although they weren't that good there was still some fun to be had with them.

Then the new consoles came out and i jumped on the one i thought best which was the xbox(don't troll about the xbox being crap and the ps3 being better please). Then the new call of duty modern warfare came out followed by world at war, modern warfare 2 then black ops.

so what i'm asking the people of escapist is which type did you prefer, the ones involving world war 2 such as 1, 2, 3 and world at war or the modern warfare ones.

Not sure which black ops is in because i haven't played it so put it in whatever category you think.

JUGGERNAUTBITCH

May 20, 2011
modern shooters are better. but i dislike the fact that the enemy's are the arabs. wud like to see a war between europe and america.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I prefer the later ones. World at War was the only WWII game I finished. I got bored of the others, plus I think I have a hunch on how it all ends. I really like the Modern Warfare games and can't wait for MW3 though. Will this be my first Call of Duty to buy on launch? All signs point to yes!

FirstPersonWinner

Apr 16, 2009
JUGGERNAUTBITCH said:
modern shooters are better. but i dislike the fact that the enemy's are the arabs. wud like to see a war between europe and america.
I'm pissed off the enemies are Russians. I like the Russians. I hate Canadians and the French. Can we blow those losers off the map in a video game please.

Capcha: Afghan Nrofying

What the hell does that mean? (I think the capcha is racist)

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Huh... 2 and 4 are my favorites, and looking at the entire series, the only necessarily bad game was 3, so I think I might go with the modern ones. Especially because of 4. It hurts that the hate bandwagon has retroactively spread to 4.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I've still got quite a fondness for the first COD and the Expansion pack, United Offensive(which is short but totally awesome and set the tone for the newer games), The Modern Warfare games are the ones I play the most. The missions are varied and flow well into each other, the set-pieces are well executed and at least in the first one, there's just enough plot to hold up the action and visa versa. Even MW2's someone annoying plot holes are covered over by the fact there's a mission where you fight it out in a burning, post-apocalyptic version of DC, Red Sun and all, as well as the Oil Rig-Gulag-Sub Base trilogy of missions that feel like a mini-campaign on their own and are chock full of big budget blockbuster movie goodness.

COD2 I've played a couple times but just doesn't work that well for me and I have no idea why. Partially because it spends what feels like half the game in Stalingrad and by the end I was hoping to get the chance to burn the city to the ground so I could fight someplace else for a change(Ironically, I rather like the Stalingrad missions in COD and WaW), though even though it's one of the longer games in the series(if not the longest) a lot of the missions feel a bit samey and padded.

World at War is a mixed bag because I didn't much like the Pacific missions(except Black Cats) but more or less loved the Soviet Campaign for the Battle of Berlin setting(which really isn't used much in games) and the felt it felt very end-of-days'ish.

Black Ops just went way over the top, so while I like individual levels fine, the overall game feels more like a James Bond game then a COD game. It didn't help they tried to use mason as a character with a voice and there's nothing really interesting about him other then occasionally he forgets he's supposed to be speaking with an American accent and he's just batshit crazy by the end(and still allowed to go on missions).

JUGGERNAUTBITCH

May 20, 2011
FirstPersonWinner said:
JUGGERNAUTBITCH said:
I'm pissed off the enemies are Russians. I like the Russians. I hate Canadians and the French. Can we blow those losers off the map in a video game please.

Capcha: Afghan Nrofying

What the hell does that mean? (I think the capcha is racist)
i don't mind canadians, but yea a game where you can go at french guys wud be nice. tho they wud surrender and the game wud end really fast.