World's best suggested paradox

royohz

Official punching bag!
Jul 23, 2009
Basically, what do you think is the world's funniest or most mind-boggling suggested paradox?

Mine is:
What happens if you put super glue on a Teflon-covered frying pan?

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
Freezerburn.

Jumbo shrimp.

But wait, those are oxymorons (sp?). But they count as parodoxes, they're just one word...

As for the riddle type: I got nothing sorry...

Squidden

Nov 7, 2010
How long will it take you to cross a crosswalk if with each step, you cut the distance you walked with the prior step by half?

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
What happened if Chuck Norris met Rob Swire in a Guitar Hero match?

I'm not sure if that's a paradox so I'll go with:

Is there a odourless cologne?

Silent observer

Jun 18, 2009
Squidden said:
How long will it take you to cross a crosswalk if with each step, you cut the distance you walked with the prior step by half?
You'll never make it :D

OT: Gimme a coupla minutes...I'll come up with something...

hudsonzero

what I thought I'd do was,
Aug 4, 2009
Squidden said:
well if we knew how big the initial step was, how long the cross-walk is and how long each step takes, you can work that out
[edit] tried this out with my maths teacher, dose not work it is unsolvable

Socius

Dec 26, 2008
what happens when an unstoppable force hits an unmovable object?

What happens if Pinochkio says: my nose will grow now!

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
royohz said:
It sits there in a blob until it dries, when it can then be peeled off quite easily.

OT: Did wild west barbers shave themselves?

Squidden

Nov 7, 2010
hudsonzero said:
Squidden said:
well if we knew how big the initial step was, how long the cross-walk is and how long each step takes, you can work that out
The first step is half the crosswalk.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
gummibear76 said:
what happens if you glue some toast butter side up to the back of a cat, and then drop the cat?

-img snip-
Dang, ninja'd. I guess mine would be a "controlled blast." Whenever we built the house I am living in, we had to blast some limestone out of the way. They called it a "controlled" blast. Blasts are violent by nature, and once initiated very hard to control. The idea seemed very odd to us, but it worked out great and it is the house I live in today.

Caspertjuhh

Oct 19, 2010
The last man on earth sat in a room.

then there came a knock on the door.

----
shortest scary story ever.

Karlaxx

Oct 26, 2009
I always liked "What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?"

We posed this question to a random stranger named Steve in a rest stop, and he gave us a decent answer: The force reflects off of or passes right through the object. Both are possibilites without knowing more of the properties of the objects.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Voodoomancer said:
Renamedsin said:
What happens if Pinochkio says: my nose will grow now!
Pinochkio says "I am lying right now."

Then his head explodes.
Right.

I thought we all agreed that in a true paradox, the end result is a massive explosion, time space rip, or abortion of the involved objects from reality.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Silent observer said:
Squidden said:
You'll never make it :D
Yes and No. (heh, paradox!) The answer is: the time it takes for someone run the crosswalk (or stop light, depending on external conditions) and run your ass over. heh. Chaos theory (i think it was chaos theory. it might have been something else...) states that as time approaches infinity, all possible outcomes, no matter how unlikely, can and will occur (fun stuff, theoretical physics). Therefore you will eventually be struck or run over by something traveling faster than you (one of the higher-probability "unlikely events"), or otherwise removed by external forces.

also... I think some people may have confused "paradoxes" with "thought experiments". such as:
"if a tree falls in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"
"why is it we drive in a parkway and park in a driveway?"
"what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?"
"if you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?"
(profit!) and so on...

I'll leave this here, just in case.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/paradox said:
par·a·dox
n.
1. A seemingly contradictory statement that may nonetheless be true: the paradox that standing is more tiring than walking.
2. One exhibiting inexplicable or contradictory aspects: "The silence of midnight, to speak truly, though apparently a paradox, rung in my ears" (Mary Shelley).
3. An assertion that is essentially self-contradictory, though based on a valid deduction from acceptable premises.
4. A statement contrary to received opinion.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
royohz said:
Basically, what do you think is the world's funniest or most mind-boggling suggested paradox?

Mine is:
A better question is, "How did they get the Teflon to stick to the frying pan?"

royohz

Official punching bag!
Jul 23, 2009
2xDouble said:
royohz said:

Mine is:
A better question is, "How did they get the Teflon to stick to the frying pan?"
Nope, sorry. Intense heat and pressure is the answer.