World's First Cyborg Speaks Out

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Xanadu84 said:
I for one am less concerned about cyborg rights, and more concerned that the theoretically first cyborg has a bowl cut.
This. He could get a long way with changing his hair cut and general posture. Sure that thing on his head looks silly, but he's not making it any easier on himself by presenting himself like that.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
At least they're getting the ball rolling now, rather than sixty years from now when anti-cyborg sentiment is at an all time high...

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Just to play devils advocate, there IS a reason why he is calling himself a cyborg and not someone with cochlear implants or a pacemaker. Those pieces of technology fix or enable senses that the person already has, fixing problems with systems the body already has in places. This thing gives him the ability to hear colors, an ability that he wouldn't have even if he had no handicap. And yes, Synesthesia is a thing that some people have, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't count as an extension beyond his normal ability: if a brain implant gave someone perfect memory, id count that as a cyborg even though there are people who have that ability naturally.

Ill agree that it is a pretty underwhelming cybernetic for someone calling themselves the first cyborg, but it only makes sense that the FIRST would be a pretty crappy enhancement, and better ones come later. I may in general be underwhelmed, but I DO think the very fact that we can say that a Cyborg Foundation exists is about the coolest thing ever.

Aikayai

May 31, 2011
There seems to be a lot of ignorance in this thread. People with enhancements to help them hear or see are judged pretty quickly by people and the majority don't see the consequences. One of my friends is deaf and she loves music. She has an implant to help her hear but for the most part she speaks in sign and uses the implant only when she has to. You can imagine the looks she gets, but its because people don't understand that you aren't different if you love something differently to someone else.

I agree that cyborg rights are going to be much more of an issue as it is more recognised in society. People are scared of new perspectives but spreading hate and malice against people who choose to use implants or other devices to enhance their lives is ignorance at every level. Lose a sense for a day, any one, and I guarantee you'll look for a way to get that back, even if its using your other senses to interpret for you.

There is also the argument of having implants out of want rather than need. I'm on the side of the want. If you want better sight, better hearing, stronger arms etc, it should be available to you. Cosmetic surgery is available to people who want to improve their image, so why can't implants be available to improve your abilities? In the next few years augmentation in general is going to be an issue so it is best to discuss it now so we won't have prejudice when it becomes the norm. Change is scary to some people but when you consider what the internet did for our generation, it seems that some fears aren't justified.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Mojo said:
Wow, pretty damn amazing.
Maybe in the future well be able to make blind people "see" with sounds, like bats do, or something...

So, where are my Biotic Amps then, huh?
Soon, my friend. First, we must reach Mars.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Latinidiot said:
Mojo said:
Maybe in the future well be able to make blind people "see" with sounds, like bats do, or something...

Well, we still got about a 100 years before the reapers come, so I guess no hurry right?

Captcha: "sharp stick" Think we might need more then that though.

Dec 10, 2012
kyogen said:
The key criterion for being a cyborg is the visibility of the implant? Interesting. So everyone with a pacemaker so well integrated into their bodies that they don't notice it is not a cyborg, or is it just that old folks who spend most of their time ignoring the tech implants aren't cool?
Exactly. We've had cyborgs for decades now, no matter which way you want to define it. The first person with an artificial heart; the first person with a brain implant that allows them to control a mechanical apparatus, like an arm or a computer cursor; that guy who put a chip in his wrist that can open electronic doors; the first person with a cochlear implant; hell, even our pets are cyborgs with the tracking systems we put in them. And what about pirates, huh? With their peg legs and hook hands? Anyone who has integrated technology with their body is a cyborg, this guy is not new.

Ah, but of course, his passport says he's a cyborg, so he must really be the first one. After all, the law says so.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
...and of course within two posts of this thread being started, someone made the Deus Ex - Human Revolution ref. *sigh*

I, personally, would like to see where this technology will take us now that we know it will work. Perhaps we can develop implants that will cure certain physical impairments once thought incurable.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Holy fuckballs. This is huge.

People are really underplaying this. This is literally a method to alter human senses. It's also frightening, since we know little to nothing about the people actually producing and researching this technology. If they can alter one part of the brain, they could learn to alter others.

And I know this has been said before, but this is literally the first proof we have that equipment can alter the human brain for a long term. I may be wrong, though. Not up to date with everything in modern science.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
GamemasterAnthony said:
...and of course within two posts of this thread being started, someone made the Deus Ex - Human Revolution ref. *sigh*

I, personally, would like to see where this technology will take us now that we know it will work. Perhaps we can develop implants that will cure certain physical impairments once thought incurable.
We, uh, already did.

In fact, many of the cyborgs with REAL claim to "first cyborg" according to various definitions had such impairments.

He's not the first cyborg by any definition that doesn't include "horribly pretentious".

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Zulnam said:
Holy fuckballs. This is huge.

People are really underplaying this. This is literally a method to alter human senses. It's also frightening, since we know little to nothing about the people actually producing and researching this technology. If they can alter one part of the brain, they could learn to alter others.

And I know this has been said before, but this is literally the first proof we have that equipment can alter the human brain for a long term. I may be wrong, though. Not up to date with everything in modern science.
Uh. Didn't even notice this.

No, this is not REMOTELY first proof. The first proof is from decades ago, and it used to be a thriving field of study until it got hampered by moral panic regarding the experiments. No, those people permanently crippled and insane due to botched experiments had nothing to do with it, why?

(So okay, the regulation was necessary, but it went too far, and essentially halted the field for a few decades.)

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Here I was expecting a guy with a borg lasereye in place of one of this normal ones. I am disappointed.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Commissar Sae said:
Chemical Alia said:
Awesome technology! My grandfather was totally colorblind and loved new technology, he probably would have loved this.

I'm no cyborg, but my brain does something just the opposite. When I hear music or tonal sounds, I perceive a specific color along with it. My piano teacher thought I was crazy.
There is actually a medical condition for that, it's called Synesthesia and it is actually pretty cool. Kandynsky was a famous case of it.

OT: I'm always pro-cyborg enhancement, so this is just cool.
Well, in his case it's an awesome net benefit. For me, it's usually just pretty annoying, like it's really hard to concentrate when music is playing v:

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Mojo said:
Latinidiot said:
Mojo said:

Well, we still got about a 100 years before the reapers come, so I guess no hurry right?

Captcha: "sharp stick" Think we might need more then that though.
Nono, just a sharp stick and a can do attitude!

And the better part of Commander Shepard.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
And what's the first thing he did with this amazing gift? He made a painting of Justin Bieber's song. How delightful.
I was wondering when you'd show up :p
OT: That quote has got to be one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard... symbiosis of man it's own machinisms.
It's quite godlike. I wouldn't mind being part of that.