Worse game to play online, from a gameplay standpoint.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
We all know that an online game can be ruined by a noob or troll, but what game consistently is a pain just by the mere act of playing it.

Two off the top of my head:

Farcry 2 (360): All of the aiming problems in the main game are not fixed, and you have a criminally low amount of health. Add that to how small the regular maps are, and how complicated the map editor is if you wanted to fix that, AND the often 20 sec respawn time, and you've got yourself shit online. I won't go into the fun of matchmaking, because that isn't what we're talking about.

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts: Never did a game need online less than this game. If you actually find a game you'll be met with a random challenge that you may or may not have a vehicle made to compete it. And don't even bother if you don't, the default vehicles are no match for the other player's custom behemoths. Simply unnecessary and obviously tacked on.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
I can't really say, I'd have to actually spend time playing a game I don't like... Gears of War... maybe.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
I totally agree with you on the Far cry 2 thing. And seriously, why isn't there any split screen?

My biggest problem with it is that when you join a game you have to download the map, and when that's done more people join so they have to download the map and some more people join and so on and so on. Wasted potential ubisoft. Wasted potential. Although nice of ubisoft to at least try putting some multiplayer into a really awesome game.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Counter Strike circa 2000 when it was practically impossible to find a server where there wasn't at least one cheat, and everyone else had honed their abilities to near god like perfection to keep up.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Basically every MMORPG ever made. I think most developers haven't quite grasped that turn-based/one click combat (i.e.: what 99.999...% of mmorpgs use) only works in SINGLE player, and is piss dribbling dull and pointless online.

If you want REAL online games... Possibly Crysis... Everything it does right in singleplayer is quickly tossed in a bin, along with the feeling that the developers forgot this was multiplayer now... Being able to soak an inhuman amount of bullets is fun in single player, but in multiplayer it just throws tactic out the in window in favor of spraying till one days... And let's not even discuss the fucking overpowered vehicles...

Jarc42

Feb 26, 2009
I strongly dislike Gears of War 2 online, not that its any better than 1 player...

Bertruam

Feb 7, 2009
Warcraft 3. Here is my situation, I found the battlechest thing like a year ago at a best buy. I had heard many good things about it and it was only $19 American so I picked it up. Played it for two weeks to get used to the gameplay and all the tactics, the tricks, the strategies etc. After that I went online and searched for a game. I lasted 2 minutes. The whole time both teams insulted me. I had apparently spent to much time enjoying the game and not learning to type a paragraph that built my town. Go figure.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Farcry 2 for the reasons expressed in the OP - how they messed up an FPS shooter is beyond me and GTA 4 - there are some inventive gamemodes, but the aiming is dreadful, and auto aim in deathmatch was a massive mistake.

That and why are people insulting Gears of War when the thread is clearly from a gameplay standpoint, if you didn't like the gameplay in Gears (which is unique) why bother playing online?

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
PuckFuppet said:
I can't really say, I'd have to actually spend time playing a game I don't like... Gears of War... maybe.
GOW is quite good online, certainly not the worst game by any means.

Jarc42

Feb 26, 2009
D_987 said:
That and why are people insulting Gears of War when the thread is clearly from a gameplay standpoint, if you didn't like the gameplay in Gears (which is unique) why bother playing online?
I'm just saying that I think Gears gameplay isn't suitable online (the slow/heavy movement and general inaccuracy of the weapons lowers the intensity normal to online games).

TooManyToasters

Feb 21, 2009
Soulcalibur IV. You just can't play a fighting game that requires split-second reflexes with half a second to a second input lag.

farmerboy219

Feb 22, 2009
Resistance: fall of man. the maps were too big and the amount of players were too small so you spend all of your time looking for people to fight. that ontop of the weapons being very short range and inaccurate it made for an awful online experience.

Trogd0r

Jun 5, 2008
Jarc42 said:
D_987 said:
I'm just saying that I think Gears gameplay isn't suitable online (the slow/heavy movement and general inaccuracy of the weapons lowers the intensity normal to online games).
Ah, that's why it is one of the most popular online console games today, right?
The intensity is unmatched, the only thing is, it is very harsh on new players.

tijuanatim

Sep 24, 2008
FarCry 2 and SSBB are both excellent answers, but I'm gonna have to go with Saints Row 2. I love that game but Ican't figure out the online to save my life.....maybe I'm just stupid that is a very real possibility.