Worst Big-Budget Movie

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
X-men 3 by far. its not enough that the movie looked and was acted bad, but they had to fuck with the lore. Pheonix is not Jean's evil side SHES A FUCKING SUPER BEING! and dont get me started on the Juggernaut..........

keiskay

Nov 18, 2011
jack and jill, the movie had a 70million dollar budget and looked like a 3million dollar movie. or how about grown ups. old dogs, shrek 3, transformers 2 and 3, resident evils 3 and 4. harry potter 3 and 4. the last airbender pissed me off the most though, loved the show so much and that movie made me feel like skinning the audience and hanging them up in theater entrance.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Marter said:
The Green Hornet? Red Riding Hood? Ghost Rider? Eragorn? Catwoman?

Awful, awful movies, all of them. Yes, worse than the Transformers flicks, in my opinion.
*shudder*

Just saying Eragon brings back memories of a lovely day in the summer holiday. A passionate guitarist and film addicted Rockerfly went to a guitar shop. There he played a wonderful Dimebag shards through line-60 amp which made him, smile and gave him a warm buzz for some time. Afterwards with his sister and brother, they went to see the film Eragon, having read all of the books in the series and being suitable excited for any fan seeing a good book on the big screen. However when he finished the film, The Rockerfly was upset and angry facing a disappointing and painful butchering of the book. Shitty cgi, dreadful acting, poor adaptations of the lore and the book, dull music, bland set pieces and laughable chemistry between the characters plagued this film.

After this film, The Rockerfly sat in the dark and got more emotionally unstable until the breaking point. He now is a sceptical, pessimistic and angry young man who hates a good portion of humanity. All because of Eragon.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I'd say Battleship, but let's face it; that movie was made purposely to satisfy a Michael-Bay audience addicted to explosions and action scenes, and while most of the movie was filled with numerous plotholes and bad acting/characterization, the movie fulfills its purpose by making the explody bits at least interesting.
Same goes to Transformers 2 & 3. I didn't watch these to be involved in deep storytelling, I came to see giant robots blow up Chicago and the pyramids. I'm accepting to the occasional mindless explosion/action overdosed movie in theaters every once in awhile, but I stress, every once in awhile.

On the other hand, the The Last Airbender's purpose was to act as a tribute to one of the best animated series ever created. It failed in Chernoybl-level proportions.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Battlefield Earth. The answer will always be Battlefield Earth.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
6th And Silver said:
Without a doubt Transformers 3. I know a lot of people are going to say that, but well...There's a good reason for that. It's just...depressing by the end of it. When Ken Jeong randomly pulled a couple of guns on the Robo-Vulture, I think I felt the collective value of film-making drop a little.

Although I will admit that Shia Le-Bouf or whatever was actually pretty entertaining. Whether he meant it that way or not is a different discussion.
I think I am one of the few people who like Transformers 3, the main reason I liked it was the Robo-vulture (Laserbeak). I have a thing for villains who actually do stuff.

The second one was bad, I will say that.

Though, Battleship comes to mind. I never saw it but after seeing the first trailer for it, it makes you wonder, is there a 5 year old running hollywood? Or are they throwing darts at random objects and making movies about where it lands.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Arfonious said:
Signa said:
Battlefield Earth. The answer will always be Battlefield Earth.
This, this and allways this
It was a movie so bad, even the DVD menus sucked ass. Last year I remembered how much I loved to hate it, so I bought it. I made sure that it was a used copy though. I don't need my money funding those assholes that made it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I remember seeing Water World in theaters as a kid and not liking it or, being bored by it or probably both. Wasn't that the most expensive film of its time...or of the 90's or something like that? I think that one wins by default. I also saw Phantom Menace in theaters as a kid but I remember liking it for the few minutes of space and, Jedi/Sith battles it had.

Corax_1990

May 21, 2010
Battleship, you know you have a problem when the redeeming feature of your movie is 'Rihanna was ok in it'.

Jon Porcincula

Mar 5, 2012
I'll have to agree with Green Lantern. Knew I should've stood up and left once Barbossa narrated the opening, because that's the whole movie condensed in less than 2 minutes.

Vapaapudotus

Jan 29, 2012
As soon as I saw this thread title I immediately thought Avatar. It was so boring and I don't understand why people still praise it. But then I remembered two actually more awful big budgette monsters.

Burton's Alice in Wonderland, I hated the 3D effects. Every 3 minutes that movie was busy to throw things at viewer. Plus the story was utterly butchered. Helena Bonham Carter was fun as red queen (but when she isn't fun?) and Stephen Fry was glorious as always, those were two things that kept me sitting through.

And then there was Tron Legacy that was just painful. Dragging on forever, awful acting and plot holes that could block out the sun if centered all together.

RyoScar

May 30, 2009
I agree with most of the posts in this thread, if I had to pick something that hasn't been mentioned yet, I've got to go with "Highlander 2: The Quickening". The worst sequal I've ever seen apart from Highlander: The Source.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
How about Godzilla (the US remake)? One of the reason why American should never take on Japanese materials.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
I can enjoy the crap out of bad movies, even if they were intended to be good (a lot of the already mentioned movies come to mind), but the last two Transformers had awfully strange dialog.

CaptchaError: rainy days, oh my I hope not, summer was finally here.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
Can't believe this hasn't been said yet - Ang Lee's Hulk. The opening credits alone are some seriously boring shit.

the_duke_CC

Feb 4, 2008
well i havent seen it mentionedso i'll throw in pluto nash
i wonderif anyone else remembers that film

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
I'm pretty anti-blockbuster movies; I find I can get a lot more entertainment and substance out of Magnet movies, personally.

FitScotGaymer

Mar 30, 2011
I am surprised at how many folk are saying Transformers and Xmen.

Transformers I totally get the criticisms even if I thought they were entertaining in a sort of superficial way, but Xmen?

The Xmen movies were awesome as far as I was concerned. Yes they departed from the established Xmen lore and created their own "verse" - and that didn't bother me at all. Movies generally do that, as long as they are mostly self consistent it really shouldn't matter.

Well all of the Xmen movies except First Class. That movie was horrific. It was like they couldn't decide which verse it was going to be following, the movie or the comics, and we ended up with a movie that oscillates wildly between the two with very little sense or logic.
And some of the decisions in that movie were just fricking lazy. I mean the use of Emma Frost (who should have been a baby at the time) and of Scott Summers' little brother as one of the "original" Xmen... God don't get me started.

For myself the only movie I literally couldn't sit through because of how terrible it was was The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

There is very little sense in starting with the second book of the series to begin with. And then the fact that because they wanted to compete with the Lord of the Rings movies they blatantly stuff nonsensical bollocks into the movie that wasn't in the books.
It was lengthy, uninteresting, and neither the acting nor direction was great.
The later movies were an improvement tho.
It's the only time ive ever got up and left a movie theatre.

It just a poor poor experience for me.