Worst comic ever

Nadia Castle

May 21, 2012
Okay so I just made my monthly trip to the comic shop and picked up a huge stack of old comics for a few pounds. There's good stuff (Deadpool Max) and a couple of bad title (Punisher:The End), but right in the middle was a copy of Youngblood #4 that's probably been polybagged since '92. I've read tons of internet coverage of it being part of the 'WORST COMIC EVER' so thought it would be fun in a masochistic kind of way. I tore it open and read through and have to say its actually not that bad.

Sure every character is a rip off, the artwork is overblown and the story barely exists but as a brainless action piece I've defiantly read a LOT worse. The preview pages for Pitt at the back look a lot worse since you can barely tell what is what, the story has the decency to be a so bad you don't care rather than a 'so offensively bad its countdown' and flicking through a Nick fury comic from just two years earlier I can see why people thought Liefeld was better than he was art wise.

I actually feel quite annoyed, this thing had been so reverse-hyped that I was looking forward to reading the king of awful but only got not very good. Ultimatum or Amazons Attack are still my personal worst comics ever. Anyone else ever had their low expectations shot down like this?

Saltarius

Aug 30, 2011
All I wanted when reading the New 52 Detective Comics was some action and decent plot.

My god was I ever wrong.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Various of the more recent Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose.

Which is a shame, because they started off...well, not great exactly, and with far too much gratuitous sex, but some attempts were made to justify it, and apart from that the stories could be inventive and creepy enough.

But then the author gave up and just had everyone get molested by monsters every issue.

chaosbedlam

Apr 15, 2009
I would like to put a vote towards either the Australian mini series of Judge Dredd or the Archie TMNT series.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
While it's not by any means the worst comic evar, the Spiderman movie comic released a few months(?) back is just some of the stupidest shit I've read in a good time. I laughed.

I does come with most of the original Lizard arc bundled in though, and that was great, but reading it so close to the seeing the movie resulted in nerd rage.

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
well foreskin man still exists or at least a copy of it does somewhere. so if your in the mood for something shitty and antisemitic look it up lol

i really wish this wasn't real
http://www.foreskinman.com/index.htm

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Froggy Slayer said:
Everyone knows that the worst comic ever was One More Day.
I was waiting for this to come up in this thread. Looks like I didn't have to wait long.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I actually am a big fan of punisher comics but I agree either his books are terrible or really awesome and there is very little in between.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
Red Hood and the Outlaws.

I can never forgive what has been done to Starfire. Fuck you, DC Comics.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Nadia Castle said:
Okay so I just made my monthly trip to the comic shop and picked up a huge stack of old comics for a few pounds. There's good stuff (Deadpool Max) and a couple of bad title (Punisher:The End), but right in the middle was a copy of Youngblood #4 that's probably been polybagged since '92. I've read tons of internet coverage of it being part of the 'WORST COMIC EVER' so thought it would be fun in a masochistic kind of way. I tore it open and read through and have to say its actually not that bad.

Sure every character is a rip off, the artwork is overblown and the story barely exists but as a brainless action piece I've defiantly read a LOT worse. The preview pages for Pitt at the back look a lot worse since you can barely tell what is what, the story has the decency to be a so bad you don't care rather than a 'so offensively bad its countdown' and flicking through a Nick fury comic from just two years earlier I can see why people thought Liefeld was better than he was art wise.

I actually feel quite annoyed, this thing had been so reverse-hyped that I was looking forward to reading the king of awful but only got not very good. Ultimatum or Amazons Attack are still my personal worst comics ever. Anyone else ever had their low expectations shot down like this?
Hrmm, well to really "get" Youngblood you kind of have to have been reading comics at the time. What a lot of people today surprisingly don't realize is that "Spawn", one of the all time classic comics titles, was set in a shared universe WITH Youngblood and is even referanced in that book, not to mention Al Simmon's old partner "Chapel" was a member of
guess what super team?

A lot of the back and forth there was because of what were the two most popular comic titles in that universe. The vastly better, and more popular Spawn, and then Youngblood, which on some levels was accused of holding back Spawn due to the shared universe, which eventually wound up becoming almost entirely Spawn-centric.

It's hard to really put a finger on, but it's a time sensitive thing, it's not something where the hatred can really stand the test of time at the same level, because overall Youngblood wasn't terrible... it was just amazingly average, with a sense of humor not everyone could get into. I believe the whole Nerds Vs. Geeks gang war which showed up in Spawn at one point was a crossover from Youngblood. :p

-

For worst comic ever, it's REALLY hard to pin that one down, probably because I have fairly good taste (or rather know my own tastes well, and am good at picking what I like). Spider Man has truely hit some lows over the years with things like "The Clone Saga" or "One More Day" but I'm not sure if you can consider them the absolute worst, because most of the problems with them was mostly not making the Spider-Man fans happy. "One More Day" for example reset the continuity for a lot of fans into a place they didn't like it being, due to the desires of the guys running Marvel at the time. I read portions of that one after having heard about it here, and I have to say I didn't like the story or where it went, but when you get past the destination and intention it actually seemed to have some clever moments.

I suppose if I had to pick, I would say the Gen-13 "reboot" back when Adam Warren through his temper tantrum and killed off the team during his departure, and then DC/Wildstorm re-launched Gen-13 with that title, and a totally differant cast of characters excepting Fairchild who was brought in. It was horrible beyond belief to me as a series fan. It was however "corrected" to an extent when they decided to reboot the entire Wildstorm universe and brought back the original characters in new forms much like they did with a lot of other characters... before proceeding to just take a wrecking ball to the world and turn it into a post apocolyptic setting. I'll have to find some time/money to catch up with Wildstorm again at some point. Even there I can say that it wasn't so much that the storyline was bad (and it tied into 21 Down somewhat, which was clever at times even if I never finished it), it was just very typical, it just wasn't Gen-13 anymore.

cerealnmuffin

May 15, 2010
Okay this might not be what everyone means by comic, but the worst comic has to be 'Family Circus'. It is a Sunday newspaper comic that is so gag inducing, dripping with 'family values' and lack of any humor. The comics usually consist of a few lines of sappy dialogue that is like Character hears thunder 'That's grandpa playing bowling in heaven =)" There is a common theme where it would show a dotted path of the main character,these doughy white kids taking a long way around the house.

My siblings and I would torture each other with it when we were younger. We'd call out 'hey look!' and then when they did, we'd hold up the comic. It can be read in literally a blink of the eye as it takes almost half a page and has at most a sentence or two of text. Thus, one's day would be ruined as it gets stuck in one's head like a bad commercial jingle.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Nadia Castle said:
Ive been learning about this liefeld guy....I think the youngblood hate it because of him

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Saltarius said:
All I wanted when reading the New 52 Detective Comics was some action and decent plot.

My god was I ever wrong.
Agreed! I kept buying it until issue 8, hoping it would improve. Tony Daniel's art is great but the stories were awful and and absolute slog. Luckily, Snyder's Batman and Simone's Batgirl are both fantastic.

For me, The Dark Knight Strikes Again. That book was abysmal, made little sense, diminished the impact of the ending of the first book, was terribly, terribly drawn and served no purpose. I hated every second of that book.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Therumancer said:
Hrmm, well to really "get" Youngblood you kind of have to have been reading comics at the time. What a lot of people today surprisingly don't realize is that "Spawn", one of the all time classic comics titles, was set in a shared universe WITH Youngblood and is even referanced in that book, not to mention Al Simmon's old partner "Chapel" was a member of
guess what super team?

A lot of the back and forth there was because of what were the two most popular comic titles in that universe. The vastly better, and more popular Spawn, and then Youngblood, which on some levels was accused of holding back Spawn due to the shared universe, which eventually wound up becoming almost entirely Spawn-centric.

It's hard to really put a finger on, but it's a time sensitive thing, it's not something where the hatred can really stand the test of time at the same level, because overall Youngblood wasn't terrible... it was just amazingly average, with a sense of humor not everyone could get into. I believe the whole Nerds Vs. Geeks gang war which showed up in Spawn at one point was a crossover from Youngblood. :p
I started reading spawn (the TPB's) and yeah there were constant referances to youngblood which felt kind of...out of place (well not really I guess, I was a comic noob)

what I dont get was why they were called youngblood....they didnt really seem all that "youth" focused...especially chapel

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Nadia Castle said:

Considering the fact that you think Punisher: The End was bad and Deadpool Max was good, in my opinion, means you're probably not exactly in the majority when it comes to viewing a comic as the worst comic ever.

I don't mean that as an insult, by the way. I' saying you have different tastes is all. I, for example, can't stand a majority of Alan Moore's work. I think he's highly overrated and hasn't had a truly original idea in a very long time. The only reason I give some of his books a chance is because he created John Constantine but even then, it was DeLano who made him the character I love today.

Anyway, that's a bit offtopic... Witch Doctor actually beat the crap out of my low expectations. I didn't think it'd be any good but it's one of the best comics I've read in years.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Saltarius said:

My god was I ever wrong.
John Layman, who writes Chew, is taking over at some point in the near future (might be #13, not sure). The book is pretty much guaranteed to have a massive jump in quality.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
I'm not sure about having my LOW expectations shot down, but I will tell you that I bought and read Wanted by Mark Miller and was thoroughly disappointed. What a horrible comic.

The problem I had with it was that the 'protagonist' was a totally unlikable murderer/rapist that, to me, channeled way too much of what I feel tends towards Miller's actual desires; he seemed deeply Mary Stu-ish, and I felt uneasy reading what I felt was something like a personal fanfic that had somehow managed to get published. I couldn't shake the feeling that all the random murder and rape wasn't there to make a statement about something, but was rather Miller himself working through his own desires.

After all, the comic ends with the main character (who accomplishes all his goals and has everything going for him at the end, natch) personally insulting the reader of the comic for buying it, reading it, and then strongly alluding a desire to rape the reader. It was a horrible little story written by a horrible little man, a novel-length wankfest that had the audacity to insult me for being an unwitting participant.

Just garbage.