Worst English language accent in the world

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
Deep south and inner city. Both of which make me want to rip off my ears because that would cause less pain then listening to it any longer.

I am Virginian and most Virginians have an EXTREMELY mixed accent(Atleast that is what I have read and I think I agree with it.) because we are in the mid-atlantic, but the accent ends up sounding bland. Though some of us do put in "or" for soft vowels like "Worshington".(atleast from what TV tropes and I can tell) but the majority of us sound like the generic government bad guys and almost no other type of character.

madeleinehatter

Mar 8, 2010
Canid117 said:
This one:

WARNING: MAY CAUSE BLEEDING EARDRUMS! WATCH WITH CAUTION!
Gaaaaah, good lord what the hell was that? O_O *twitch* That made me want to stick a chainsaw in my ears! You win this whole thread.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Live-Ruido said:
Jelly ^.^ said:
Hmm, no hate on us Aussies yet? I'm amazed.
Since people here probably watch Yahtzee, they've probably gotten used to it. Even if he is British borne, there is a little bit of Aussie in it, though I could just be deaf
I don't find any cultural affectations particularly annoying but I am annoyed at being told that I have an accent. They call it a "non-regional" accent. What does it sound like? Exactly the way that words are phonetically pronounced in the OED thats what! That's not an accent!!

As for Yahtzee is it me or does your new companion (ball in cage not cube) in Portal 2 sound like a really nice, well mannered, and understandbly somewhat nervous version of him?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Xpwn3ntial said:
Inner-city. So annoying.
Do you refer to Ebonics? That's what I'd say actually. I don't particularly like the stereotypical southern/western accent (Applejack: MLP:FiM) but that accent is at least tolerable to me. I love the European accents and, I find New England and, New York accents kinda funny (they entertain me). Ebonics I just can't stand though. I feel it reflects poorly not only on the speaker but on their family and teachers.

DefinitelyPsychotic

Apr 21, 2011
Canid117 said:
This one:

Damn. Her voice is really annoying.

I don't mean to stray off topic, but do you guys believe what that 15 year old girl was saying? Or do you think this was all staged for some form of entertainment?

They had me convinced, haha!

rekulnats

Apr 22, 2011
Scouse by a long shot (for non-Brits thats Liverpool). Horrible whiny noise. Not that I have anything against the Liverpudlians of course.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
mikev7.0 said:
I don't find any cultural affectations particularly annoying but I am annoyed at being told that I have an accent. They call it a "non-regional" accent. What does it sound like? Exactly the way that words are phonetically pronounced in the OED thats what! That's not an accent!!
Um, yeah it is. Everyone has an accent, there is no such thing as accentless speech. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing, or that you're pronouncing anything "incorrectly."

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
Ah the Canadian accent, living in Ontario (southern Ontario) I think we sound much like the north eastern US but if you go out west or North or to Quebec you will get diffrent accents, and then theirs the maritimes they are in a league of their own. Then Again most Canadians hate Ontario if you dont live in it and see it as America Junior so meh what do I know.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Canid117 said:
This one:

I remember that :D
Although her accent is freakin' annoying and she comes off as a total *****, I still have massive respect for that girl.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
FeralCentaur said:
Luckily, I don't sound Canadian at all, which is odd... and everyone I know has an American accent which is also odd (except for the occasional "eh"... but I suppose it kind of makes sense when you live close to the border.
Honestly, other than the occasionally aboot or eh, the only time I've ever seen the stereo-typical so called Canadian accent, is in Wisconsin.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
Whatever the hell those outsourced call-people speak... that kind of "English."
Rationalization said:
Stereotypes of homosexual accents. It just seems so fake, as if that person is adding something on purpose rather than talk without making a concsious effort to sound different. Maybe they are around that accent a lot and develop it themselves, I don't know.
I second this.

gillebro

Nov 13, 2009
Jelly ^.^ said:
Hmm, no hate on us Aussies yet? I'm amazed.
Why would there be? Our accent is AWESOME.

Well OK, the broad one can be a bit gyrating at times, but when you're an ex-pat living in bizarre-accent-central (the UK), you miss that nasal twang.

As a linguist-in-the-making there aren't many accents I can actively hate without feeling really guilty about it, but I'll say any accent done by fake young women, so valleygirl-type American accents and possibly chavvy-London-type accents. Also nowadays I tend to imagine all criticisms about Australia being said in London accents, so I can't deny that there's a bit of a personal influence there.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Well, to be honest I hate most accents out there. Hard to decide but I guess your average British teenager.

Sinspiration

Mar 7, 2010
A strong Jamaican accent is bloody difficult to understand. (I dont hate black people, just so you know, my bro in law is a rasta and he's awesome, lol)

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
Souplex said:
Canadian. Probably French Canadian.
Fortunately for everybody, the "Canadian" accent generally only happens on the East Coast.

OT: I think the mid-West accent is pretty awful.
Canid117 said:
This one:

That girl kind of makes me nauseous. I don't know what to call that other than.... shit, I dunno... ghetto?

P.s. Weee, post 1000. Huzzah and stuff.

Shinigami Fire

Oct 5, 2010
Yo yo, ebonics iz t3h sh1zz y0!!1!one Ah own all 4 y'411 nugg4hs here.

Oh how I loathe this dual bastardization of our language. Seen it in MMOs, left guilds with close friends because of it.

Azrael the Cat

Dec 13, 2008
Aussies tend to be the biggest critics of their own accent. It's because the 'cliched' Aussie accent is the rural accent, whereas 98% of us are coast-hugging city-dwellers. Folks from Perth/Fremantle (urban Western Australia - really it's one city, but for the Fremantle folks it's kind of like calling French Canada, well, Canada:)), in particular, are regularly mistaken for English when we travel overseas.

A lot of Australian cultural studies have been devoted to the concept of 'cultural cringe' - the self-depreciating element in Australian culture where until about 10 years ago, we tended to downplay the cultural credentials of anything Australian. I.e. to be 'Australian' was to be a working class, good at sport, blokey type - to have any credibility as an artist or a writer, an intellectual, a film-maker, or a band in Australia you had to be from Britain or the USA. I.e. we associated our own accent with stupidity, and so you had this weird phenomenon where Australians had to 'de-nationalise' themselves by succeeding in Britain or the US before they could get any recognition back home (and on top of that there'd be lots of authors, directors and musicians who were successful indie artists overseas, but ignored in Australia because of the impression BY Aussies that Aussies can't do art - Nick Cave, Philip Noyce, Ed Kueper, Patrick White and Germaine Greer all fell into that category during the 80s (where Australia seemed to be the last place in the world to discover them, despite them all starting off there).

Now the kids today haven't experienced that, because there was a very deliberate tailoring of the education system during the mid-90s to overcome the cultural cringe. But the after-effect is still there, in that in Australia we use the 'cliched' or 'broad' Australian accent as a send-up, sort of similar to the way that the folks in the US would use an exagerated southern accent. It can actually be quite jarring when you travel to North Queensland and other places that have the broad accent, because we're so used to associating it with 'comic stupidity' that we keep on having to do a double-take to remind ourselves that we're actually talking to a smart person who happens to have a broad accent:).

As a result, when Australians travel (which we do a lot - it's almost a standard right of passage these days to take a year off during or after uni to backpack around Europe or Asia), it often takes a while to realise that other countries don't tend to associate 'broad Aussie' with 'redneck' in the same way we do at home. In fact, you tend to get the opposite effect - people cotton on to the fact that other backpackers of the opposite gender are often interested in people with different accents, and the broad aussie accent has kind of a masculine image overseas, so you get all the Aussies going around talking in these ultra-broad accents, when at home they'd only ever speak like that if they were joking about rednecks.