Worst episode of your favorite TV show(s)

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
CPunchMaster said:
There's a couple episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine that come to mind. The one where Dax falls in love with a guy whose planet vanishes all the time. But that pales in comparison to the episode where half the cast goes to Risa, which was just painful. And there was the one where Quark dressed up as a woman, I don't even know what that was meant to be.
Most of the Ferengi episodes suck but atleast they were better than TNG's Ferengi episodes like The Last Outpost.

BrotherSurplice

ENEMY MAN
Apr 17, 2011
I can't believe that no one has mentioned Sharpe's Gold from the Sharpe TV series. The book that the episode was based on was really good; we meet Teresa, the stakes are massive, we meet Captain Lossow and the KGL Hussars and we see just how ruthless Sharpe can be. But the script writer for the TV version must have said "fuck that, lets make some batshit Indiana Jones story about Aztec gold!"

Also, several people have mentioned Love and Monsters from Doctor Who. I loved that episode, and can't believe that no one has mentioned Asylum of the Daleks. That episode was really poor in my opinion. They somehow managed to fuck up the concept of insane Daleks, and I found the new companion really irritating. I'm terribly sad that she'll be the one to replace Amy and Rory. I loved those two.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Happiness Assassin said:
Most of the second season of the Walking Dead was meh, some episodes were downright bad.

Battlestar Galactica messed up most of the major character changes in the fourth season pretty badly.

I remember the last episode of Seinfeld being one of the most disappointing episodes of that show.

EDIT: Also The Legend of Korra was just completely boring when the focus was that love triangle cliche.
Could not agree more about Legend of Korra, althrough I found the whole thing to be boring compared to The Last Airbender. Apart from Tensin I disliked most of the characters and outright hated some of them (Mako) and I just found it to be vastly inferior to TLA.

OT: Doctor Who A good Man goes to War.
My enjoyment of DW had been steadily decreasing since Moffat and Smith took over as Head Writer/The Doctor but A good man goes to war was the last straw. I hated River Song at the best of times but the reveal of who she was just sucked and the way the Doctor was tricked did not work either. This episode made me stop watching the show and I loved DW.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
One thing in Battlestar Galactica was really, really bad. And no, I don't mean season 4 or the ending as I actually liked those a lot (although I can see why people would come to despise it or think its a bit all over the place). No, its the episode titled "The Woman King" in season 3 (arguably the worst season).

Just so others may know, its supposed to be said as, The Woman, King. As in, there is a woman named King. Not a bad point in of itself, just felt like stating it. No, the episode had HORRIBLE characterization. Characters that you know just started behaving vastly out of character. Helo tries to go through the whole episode helping a specific race of people that this doctor is killing, but nobody believes him because the doctor has done a lot of good things for everybody else. But its like, everybody's sole purpose was to just not believe Helo. No, they don't follow up on anything, they call Helo crazy and some of them even get up in his face and pretty much make him feel worthless. By the end of the episode, Helo does manage to prove that the doctor was killing those people, but its even taken as a "You were right Helo, but you're still scum, so shut up". And Helo accepts this with a smile. Doesn't call anybody out on how much they made his past couple of days a living hell.

The worst part though is that NO ONE should not be believing Helo. Even something he did in a previous episode which was deemed "questionable" and "stupid" by the other characters didn't justify treating Helo like crap. I think even his own wife was telling Helo to stop...his WIFE. The person who has gone through the most with him at that point in the show. Again, they hear what Helo has to say, and then just blow him off. But Helo is like one of 3 characters in that show who pretty much always tries to do good whenever possible (as in his "morally questionable" actions aren't as high as everyone else s). It would be like if someone you knew who always told the truth came up to you, but you just decide to not believe him at all. Yeah, on paper the episode can work, and it even deals a bit with racism among the fellow Humans. But maybe if that character was that woman King, or some random solider/citizen trying to get the main cast to believe them.

Ugh, that episode was so bad, and I don't think I'm even remembering it right. I think even the creator was like, "Yup, that was our worst episode" some time later. It didn't further the plot in any significant way that I can remember (even the other "crisis of the week" or "random one shot" episodes of that season did something), and if you are given the chance, avoid this episode like the plague.

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Shanicus said:
Dwarfman said:
Shanicus said:
Andromeda - Quite a bit of Season 4 and 5, honestly. I just... don't know what they were doing there, and I doubt none of the actors knew either.
Very interesting thing there. The original writers had a disagreement with the top brass about where the show was going to go. The writers wanted to do the Baylon 5 thing. That is to say progressive story yadda yadda. The producers and what not wanted a cash cow TV. So the original writers left the show at the end of season 1 or there abouts.

They had enough content to get by for season 2 and then season 3 started getting weird in places. Incidently end of third season was when the actor playing Tyr stepped down from the main cast, because he didn't like the "new" direction his character was going.
Didn't help that the guy playing Dylan demanded to be in every episode and any form of character development was thrown out somewhere around the middle of the third season.

Despite all the weird things happening, I still didn't mind the 3rd and 4th seasons - they still had enough story structure and entertaining episodes to make it worth watching. Season 5 had way to much 'Suddenly X!' and random, crappy episodes that made absolutely no sense to really entertain though.

Super disappointed in all that, considering the places Andromeda could have gone and the quality of the original script.
No complaints there. I agree with you 100%

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Ok, there's several episodes (or even whole seasons) of my favorite shows that I don't like, but let's try to keep things simple.

Daria - The worst two episodes are easily the one about aliens/communists, and the episode that has them telling spooky stories. The musical one was also kinda crap, but the other two were worse.

Attack of the Show! - Whenever they had a crappy, unfunny co-host in (or two). The show would be unwatchable at that point.

X-Play - 'X-Play: The Musical' and one of their 4/20 specials (all I really remember of it was that it was from the time of their third set and there was a floating green dude).

Avatar: The Last Airbender - 'The Great Divide' it was so bad and pointless that they even made fun of it in 'The Ember Island Players'.

Can't think of others right now.

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Actually I'm goin to call it. The last episode to Blake's7. So damn depressing I still can't watch it!!

For those who care here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9QNHngD8A0

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Quite a few folk moaning about the second Season Of Walking Dead and I would have agreed right up until I got it on Blu-Ray. Rewatched at a rate of one episode a day their is nothing much wrong with the pacing and every episode has some interaction with zombies in it.

American Dad 'Blood Crieth Unto Heaven' the episode set up as a play, it was intros and outros done by Patrick Stewart so should have been 100% awesome but it just wasn't and it really just didn't work.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
Family Guy: 'Not All Dogs Go to Heaven' is the most polarizing episode of the series to me. The B-story with Stewie and the cast of The Next Generation is drop-dead hilarious, but the main plot with Meg and Brian is insufferable. In addition, any episode focusing on Brian's love life(ex. 'We Love You Conrad', 'Tiegs for Two') is going to bomb pretty fast because of how irritating Brian is as a character. He's only funny to me when he's either a: playing the straight man to Peter or Stewie, or b: the butt end of jokes based on his species("HEY! ARE YOU A DOG?! I AM ALSO A DOG!").

American Dad!: 'Camp Refoogee'. I've seen it too many times on TV, and it's just not funny anymore.

South Park: I can't handle the rape scenes in 'The China Probrem'. I know they're all parodies of movies, and I'm not saying I find it offensive or reprehensible, I just can't watch it.

Battlestar Galactica: 'Scar' is the worst episode of the series. It centers around(and glorifies) the worst character in the series at the expense of the best character in the series, and serves no purpose beyond to remind the entire viewer base that Kat is completely devoid of redeeming qualities and acts like the South Park version of Jennifer Lopez, minus the humor. I'm genuinely shocked that Kat never once says "oh no you di-int".

The Big Bang Theory: Any episode centering around Leonard and Penny as a couple or on Leonard's relationship issues in general is unwatchable garbage. The Big Bang Theory is often funny and occasionally insightful, but the moment that Leonard, Howard, or Raj attempts to impress or seduce a woman, the show deteriorates into socially poisonous pandering. The addition of Bernadette helped a lot, though. She's basically the only reason Howard isn't a horrifying creep, and she even manages to dig Penny out of the shit pit that is... well, that is Penny, frankly. The Big Bang Theory would take a drastic upward jump in quality if Penny was no longer a part of it.

jab136

Sep 21, 2012
the episode of Fringe where Walter was telling the story to Ella and there is all that noir stuff and the lab is all "happy" it just didn't fit with the rest of the series, and felt like a filler.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Deep Space Nine: Profit and Lace. Quark decides to get a sex change in order to finish a deal with a Ferengi Cola Baron. Tasteless sexism jokes throughout.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Raika said:
Battlestar Galactica: 'Scar' is the worst episode of the series. It centers around(and glorifies) the worst character in the series at the expense of the best character in the series, and serves no purpose beyond to remind the entire viewer base that Kat is completely devoid of redeeming qualities and acts like the South Park version of Jennifer Lopez, minus the humor. I'm genuinely shocked that Kat never once says "oh no you di-int".
Hey now, Scar was worth it to actually see a space battle that didn't play background to the goddamn "guess the Cylon" bullshit. Kat sucks compared to Starbuck, yes, but the dogfight is worth it.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Community: The religious one with Abed making a film. I don't know if its the religion in it or all the meta but that episode never sat right with me.

I'm also going to add in the first episode of the new season. There is too much going on for anything to really matter. There is no foothold and everything seems to be a B-story instead of having one A-story with one or two B-stories. I mean Pierce takes a whole episode to make a single joke about Jeff getting Red balls. That is just sad, even for Pierce. Troy and Britta's wishing was a quick over to quickly gag. Jeff's attempts to get the balls was too short and sadly the whole episode was advertised as a Hunger Games parody but was nothing more then a jump into Abed's mind. On that note if this episode any sort of focus it was on Abed. Again. I love Abed. He is a great character but last season he had way too many episodes that focused on Abed. Lets step back and take a look at other characters. Like Jeff and Shirley. I love Jeff and Shirley episodes. There needs to be more of them. This episode was a missed chance of Jeff and Shirley teaming up and kicking ass or squaring off against each for the last spot (though how cool was it to see Jeff punch Leonard. Highlight of the episode).

I have a few more episodes that I don't like for Community (the very first one for example) but I'll just leave it at these two.

Legend of Korra: The love triangle one. This wouldn't be here if the love triangle never came up again or quietly faded away. But it didn't. So the purpose of having that episode went out the window. Also the last two episodes. The reveal of Amon was sad and made what was one of the best villans ever, and for a good casue, to a scumbag who just wants power. Also that comment at the end between Korra and he who shall not be spoken of. Way too forced and just doesn't work. Actually those are really my two major issues with the end episodes. The rest was amazing.

The Last Air bender: Nightmares and Daydreams: Well it has some fun moments it just doesn't hold up all that well and was a weak piece to the rest of the series. Also The Great Divide and The Fortuneteller. Neither of these really add any story or character development. And we never see these characters again. They like Nightmares and Daydreams are filler and bad episodes in a show that always has some story moving forward or a character growing. These episodes didn't do anything for the story or the characters at all.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Pick almost any episode of Dexter's Lab after they began re-airing it. The episode titled "Go Dexter's Family Go!" was especially bad and kind of crapped on the episode the song originated from.

sammysoso

Jul 6, 2012
Battlestar Galactica: Basically the entire fourth season. (Third season wasn't great either)

Stargate SG-1: The finale was...not great. The first and second seasons were pretty hit or miss.

SGU: Any episode when they were dealing with their personal drama on Earth.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Raika said:
Hey now, Scar was worth it to actually see a space battle that didn't play background to the goddamn "guess the Cylon" bullshit. Kat sucks compared to Starbuck, yes, but the dogfight is worth it.
Kat sucks compared to the little girl from the miniseries. I think her name was Cammy.

I liked the dogfight, though, you're right about that.

robot slipper

Dec 29, 2010
Battlestar Galactica: The episode "The Woman King", already really well explained by Frybird and Xathos. Also, can't remember the name, but an episode in the first or second season, where it was all about Apollo/Lee and all of a sudden they shoehorned in out of nowhere that he had a hooker girlfriend on another ship and had a previous girlfriend on another planet that he kept having flashbacks about, and it was all rather crap.

The Walking Dead: Season 2, where they spent the first half of the season looking for the kid who was very obviously dead, and the second half doing laundry or something. Barring the season finale where there was fire AND zombies, everything else was a snooze-fest.

The X-Files: Didn't really like it after David Duchovny left, but the one episode that I remember being really crap was a really early one where a computer had taken over a building or something. That was awful!

Rickolas Walrus

Mar 2, 2012
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Soul Eater: Any episode with Excalibur. Nuff said.
FOOL!

Though I totally agree

For me, there's that episode of Naruto where they spend the whole time trying to find out what's under Kakashi Sensei's mask. There's also the one in the middle of the Chunin Exams where they just stop and tell the entire story again up until that point

There's other bad episodes from other shows but those are the only ones I can think of right now