Worst Experience With a Gaming Community

Hunter Hyena

Dec 23, 2011
Various games have their own communities, and these can range from very fun/friendly communities, to some of the lowest forms of humanity gathered to one general in game location.

What is/was your worst experience with a gaming community?

Personally, I would say a large chunk of the PvP community for the DayZ mod. I don't mind PvP generally, but when people brought up the simple suggestion of possibly making a map that is PvE, everyone flipped out on them, including the game's creator saying that PvE is not what he intended the game to be.

So share your experiences below

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Red Dead Redemption's online is pretty garbage a lot of the players just camp you or are 6 year old mic spammers.

at least there is a Friendly Server where there is no PVP allowed but you still can just keep running over someone intill they quit

Balvale

Oct 17, 2008
League of Legends.

The most angry, immature, petulant community I have ever had the misfortune of being exposed to.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
YOU all of YOU ruined DA2 for me

thankfully I grew thicker skin when ME3 rolled around

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
Balvale said:
League of Legends.

The most angry, immature, petulant community I have ever had the misfortune of being exposed to.
Pretty much this. I want freedom to experiment and get creative in a multiplayer game, not be called "******" over and over because I didn't pick up Warmogs. And I don't much enjoy having two out of five players give up after fifteen minutes because they aren't comfortable with the momentum of the game.

And eventually I realized I was spending 40 minutes per match playing a game I don't actually enjoy. Thanks LoL community for expediting that.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Star Wars the Old Republic.

Absolutely hilarious MMO community.

On the one side you have the "this game will die painfully soon" camp and on the other you have "this game is perfect and nothing is wrong" camp .... with maybe one or two stragglers in the middle.

The amount of arguing on the forums amused me.

But neither side are helping the game so I left them to it.

I don't play online shooters or LoL ... or any kind of DOTA game ... so I don't have to deal with those communities. The online games I play are MMO's and so far SW:TOR has come across as the most pathetic.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
The Secret World forums. Bar none. At one point, early on, I'd say it was neck and neck with the pre-release Vanguard community, but then it just went full retard.

First, it was crowing about a host of day 1 10/10 user reviews that flooded metacritic. Sooth! The people have spoken! Best MMO EVAR.

Then, it was screaming about a host of middling critical reviews that flooded metacritic. Shills! Pretenders! Out to scuttle the game! Boo! Hiss!

Then Tom Chick had the AUDACITY to really not like it. On the take! Paid off by rival MMO companies! Tom Chick has never not liked something before!

This was narrative #1. Metacritic was to blame for any poor sales or poor reception.

Then the player base settled out and it wasn't so great, and narrative #2 started. It was the PLAYERS who were to blame!

They're too stupid to appreciate it! They play it the wrong way! They play it too fast! They play it too slow! They're too used to WoW! They're not sophisticated enough to understand why it's perfect!

Mention that you liked other games in addition to TSW? Well then you were the fucking anti-christ, and that's all there was to it. You'd be flamed six ways from Sunday, accused of trolling, and told to GTFO. Mention FTP, or that perhaps the game shouldn't be triple dipping, and you were subject to the same royal treatment.

Then narrative #3 started, and narrative #3 was "Guild Wars 2 is the enemy". It was referred to as COD for the MMO crowd, a fairy game for kiddies, pablum for retards, etc. Fantasy environments were painted as holding pens for mentally challenged children, whilst their conspiracies and zombies game was lauded as high brow entertainment for intellectual adults. If you liked both games, you were accused of being an Arena Net spy.

And on it went. The game is the next EVE, it will start building momentum any time now! The user score is the true representation of a game's quality, user scores are never false! GW2's user score is false, just puffed up by drooling fanboys! $350 for a lifetime membership is a bargain, I'm laughing all the way to the bank! 50,000 subs isn't a failure, we have incredible retention!

And just before I quit, my personal favorite:

"You can't be popular AND good."

Most xenophobic, delusional, aggressive, circle-the-wagons bunch of lunatics I ever had the misfortune of encountering. There's some serious fucking kool aid drinking going on with that core fan base. Zealots, right down to the bone. Hateful, hateful zealots.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Inb4 LoL... Dammit.

It's only that bad in solo queue or duo queue in Ranked. If you're lucky enough to have a reliable 5 man team it becomes 100% more awesome. Except when one of your premade team (not naming any names) is this feeding machine half the time.

Me and Rookie have a 5 man team with a few subs. +1 Padwolf of course. The 5 man Ranked games are a load of fun. I like the counterpicking and stuff.

I will always remember the one time when this one Nidalee was hardcore raging at our Karthus for feeding, I said something like "raging doesn't help anyone" and she actually backed down and apologised. Mind. Blown. I must have triggered a sudden realisation within her or something, I was expecting nothing more than more rage.

I hate when people can't admit they made mistakes. I got our Rengar fed as hell in a 2v1 lane with my HECARIM ganks, he was 11/3 by the 30 minute surrender. He was against Vlad/Xin. They kept trying to fight me... The guy with 3 seperate disengages and their focus was terrible. They don't get that Red Buff makes a 2v2 more of a 2v2 and a half.

They were underleveled as fuck (I had both jungles) and they were still all "oh it's only a 2v2, we got this!" *melted by Rengar* over and over again. Then "bg report my team" from the both of them. Dafaq?!

By the way, I feel like Season 3 has made HECARIM so much more awesome. He's less squishy and has noticeably more damage with the flat AD buff and base armour (health?) buff and actually doesn't risk dying to second wraiths with the machete. 4 HECARIM wins in a row. When did I get good with him I wonder? I don't even stack Black Cleavers! Shocking, I know. Welcome to Season 3, the League of Cleavers.

Wonder if the Sejuani buff elevated her from Garbage Tier even a little bit? Funny thing is on paper she looks awesome. In practise... Ehhhh sub-par in every way possible. Her ult is really good but that's about it.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
The Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta, the first time I'd played it, I died a lot a was kicked from the game. Thanks for you patience guys.

Hyperone

Nov 30, 2009
It's fifty-fifty between the CoD and Gears community for me. Both of these communities broke at least one of the games in their respective series through an obsessive need to cheat. Mw 2 for CoD and Gears 2 for the Gears crowd.

A community capable of rendering a game completely unplayable by the need to cheat is just ridiculous.

An honorable mention is the Dungeon Defenders community. You find me 4 players who don't mod that game and I'll find you the fountain of youth.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
The FGC.

When I was younger, I went to a small arcade in PA. Dad gave me some quarters to go play a few games. I saw a MvC machine and decided to try it out cause I saw Megaman on it. After a match against the CPU(which I lost, first time playing the game) this big guy comes up to me and says I have to play him to continue playing there. I lost. Horribly. Then I was told to leave and don't come back, him and his friends kept making sure I couldn't reenter. I told my dad about it and we just left. Then years later I found out that was common in arcades cause of that arcade mentality or whatever.

Then years later I decided to rent SF4. I played it for awhile then tried it online. Lost again and got a message from my opponent saying I should have my hands broken for losing. Returned the game and never really played another one of those things again.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
The entirety of Xbox Live. Here, let me give you the scenario:

*Invited to a game of TF2 [small](I got the Orange Box for the 360)[/small]*
*Joins game*
Dude who invited me: Who the fuck are you?
Me: I was invited, so I decided to join.
Dude who invited me: Goddamn noobs!
*Booted*
Me: I'm paying how much a month for this, again?

And I've stopped playing games online ever since. At least on the 360. :p

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Vault101 said:
YOU all of YOU ruined DA2 for me

thankfully I grew thicker skin when ME3 rolled around
I was lucky enough to have not played either DA game until this summer, and I ended up loving both of them. It's amazing what an open mind can do.

And, appropriately, the worst is the entire internet after ME3. Seriously. That was insane. And I don't mean that in the colloquial "that was crazy" way, I mean mentally unsound.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
I don't remember, I was too busy gankraping lv.10 F2P noobs. The sort who come to games expecting an essay ride.

And they were like:

Seriously though, it depends on your perceptions and expectations of a game. How you want it to be. Newbies who learn with grace tend to adapt and are prepared to suck for a while, the troublemakers complain unfair play and "elitism" right off the proverbial boat.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
I think the worst community I've personally ever come across is the community of people who play fighters online. Now, I'm all right at fighting games. I've never really played one enough to get super familiar with any of the characters, but when I do pick 'em up, I can usually find my way around them. I've only been online with my PS3 for a couple of years, so my experiences are pretty slim, but they're pretty much one and the same.

The first fighter I played online was Soul Calibur IV. I love Soul Calibur. Thought I was pretty decent. Played one round online and lost any desire to do it again. The problem wasn't that I lost: my opponent backed me into a corner and spammed a couple of moves that drained my health like crazy. Wasn't good enough to manage to get around him, be it by jumping over him, counterattacking, blocking, or what have you. He just dropped me. Fine. I can take a loss. What I couldn't take was a solid five minutes of him sending me messages asking whether I was brain-dead or playing with broken fingers. Into the block list he went, never tried SCIV online again.

The second time I tried a fighter online was Street Fighter IV. I was Blanka, playing against Ken. Again, ass kicked. Fine. Again, a string of messages asking me if I'd ever played a video game before. Again, asshole goes on the block list. Just because I lost, doesn't mean you're unquestionably superior to me. In fact, that game was a helluva lot more even than my SCIV one. I actually thought I'd done pretty well. But, again, after that, I lost all desire to play online.

The third time I played a fighter online was Marvel vs. Capcom 3. I'd never played an MvC game before, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Didn't do too hot in the arcade mode (got my ass handed to me by the comp, to be honest), but I thought I'd give the online a whirl anyway. Get into a match, and almost immediately start getting my ass kicked. Middle of the match, my connection drops. Out of the game I go. Thirty seconds later, here comes the most shocking message I've ever read in my life. The gist of it was that I was a pansy-ass ****** who quit because I couldn't handle a loss like a real man because I liked it up the bum. Apparently, being gay and being a sore loser are co-dependent. Didn't know that.

The last time I played a fighter online was this past September. I picked up Persona 4: Arena, mostly because I love the Persona games. Did really well against the computer, so I thought I'd try playing it online. Teddie was my fighter of choice, and I played four matches. Won all four. I was pretty proud of myself. After the last match, the guy started spamming me the same message, over and over. It was simply 'learn some moves.' Just out of curiosity, I watched the match back. I had a pretty well-rounded set of moves going. Didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Then I noticed that every single move he hit me with was one of three exact same moves. This irked me a little bit, so I sent him back 'I don't need them to beat you, obviously. Grow the fuck up,' and then added him to my block list. Don't have any desire to try a fighter online again, at this point.

But, really, just about any game you play online is going to have a terrible community. The most vocal members of any online game are the ones you don't want to hear from. The jackasses spamming racist, sexist, trolling remarks over trade chat in a capital city in World of Warcraft are a minority, but they talk so loud they seem to be overwhelming. The assholes who shriek into their mics in Call of Duty are, I've found, actually significantly less than those who are using them mics to try and coordinate with each other. They're just a hell of a lot louder. I tend to mute everyone in lobbies, anyway. I only play online when my friends are on, and we just use Skype to chat with each other. I hate the internet for that reason: I know there are thoughtful, intelligent people around, but they're buried under an overtly hateful layer of super-loud assholes.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I have a love/hate relationship with Left 4 Dead 2.

Sometimes people are really friendly and play the game the way it was intended; as a group with strangers, all looking after one another in order to make it to the end and communicating with each other.

Other times, people are just dicks who kick you for no significant reason at all.

This happened to me recently:
I was playing with strangers just fine for a while. I consider myself a good player; I look after my friends and I try to protect them and leave no one behind. We were doing just fine until the last mission where we all had to make a run for it to the helicopter. Two guys were down, I was really weak and my teammate, who was running ahead by himself the whole freakin' time and I had to rescue several times and caused us two teammates, was finally overwhelmed. I tried to help him up but like I said, I was too weak and they started to overwhelm me too. So after a couple of attempts, I decided to keep running towards the helicopter. The way I saw it, either we could all die or one of us could still survive.
What happens? They kick me out immediately. Me; the good teammate who always look after others, who saved that guy's ass several times, the one that managed to make it to the end because I am freakin' playing as intended. Not only that but anyone else would have done the same. I dunno, it just pissed me off a lot.

Other than that, I'd like to mention CoD and I'm sort of amazed no one has mentioned it so far. Every time I join a lobby, I am welcomed by people who start cussing each other for no significant reason at all, both kids and adults. Not only that but people rarely play the game the way it was intended and they just go for the kills even when we're not playing a mode that requires you to kill everyone to win.
Maybe it's just my luck, I dunno.

Fluffythepoo

Sep 29, 2011
Balvale said:
League of Legends.

This.. except it applies to wc3 dota, dota2, demigod, and any games with that format