Worst Feeling in a MOBA?

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
The biggest 2 of my problems with MOBA's come from players, especially teammates.

First one, everyone (well, most players) want to be this (pardon my language) big d*ck carry, whose main purpose is to gain kills, but has no (or some rather unreliable) disables and/or means of escaping and/or means of survival. It is fine whene there is one such hero in the team, but when most of the team is made of them? Disaster.

I understand when it is all random and we all got such characters. I understand when it's like in my today's game in Single Draft, when nobody had a chance to pick someone good for teamfights and such (we won, but only because our opponents were idiots). But when you can pick any character and you all can make a well balanced team and you shmucks make a team of agi carries with me as the only support? Screw you.

My second problem was already mentioned in this thread: stupid players, who CAN actually be called noobs. I do not mind playing with newbies, or with people who play this particular hero for the first time and as long as they are willing to play as a team and learn I am more than willing to try and help them.

But when some moron jumps alone into a group of enemy heroes,gets wrecked, blames everyone else for not helping, well, such person deserves to be publically spanked with a rotten salmon. Bonus points if This person does it many times and ragequits.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
I hate it when I have a momentary lapse of concentration, fuck up and die and it causes a loss.

Last night I was running back to mid from base, and was reminding the team to pay attention to the side-lines so we didn't get surrounded or cut-off, all before noticing I had mindlessly run right into 4 of the other team who swiftly obliterated me and immediately pushed to win the game.

I also hate it when you're playing solo and you get continuous teams of people who hate each other after 5 minutes and it's quite clear that you're never going to win this game but you have to carry on playing anyway.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Having an idiot on your team, then playing badly so they think they are right.
This terrorblade went tranquil boots and dagon. HE WENT DAGON.
Of course, I was playing AA this game so the blink duel knocked me out in three seconds at the start of every fight. So he just assumed I was bad and probably still goes dagon on terrorblade to this day.

A DAGON ON TERRORBLADE.
DON'T DO THIS.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
That sinking feeling that every game you play is getting you nowhere in life and...
Oh you mean like in-game.

Ahem.
The fact that you know 50-60% of you play games will be decided by D/Cs, AFKs, early leavers, and which team the "scum of the earth" player lands on. Then there's the fact that the chances all rise during weekends and school holidays.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Kaimax said:
The Wykydtron said:
Nobody plays Odin as well, absolutely nobody. It's like they looked at the ult and went "oh too hard, I can't make plays with that. I might get my whole team killed."
Your thoughts after his massive nerf?

OT: -When the first thing a teammate do is insult someone in your team when he/she "fails/feed" a bit.
- I only play Smite so: "Never Give up" trolls and try hards in unranked.
-fighting againts Pre-mades, while your team is just a bunch of randoms.
I dunno, I only started playing a couple of months ago, whenever Janus was new. I don't really have any point of comparison but I don't feel like he's underpowered at all. As long as his ult gives CC immunity and stupid protections and damage the rest of his kit isn't that important (that said, his pre-5 kill potential is high). The sheer effectiveness of splitting up a team and going "yo focus the scary Odin who is suddenly immortal" can carry his character on its own if you can use it right.

I do wish his jump didn't have the longest wind up time in the world though, sure it makes him feel epic when slam dunking through the air onto someone's face but it has the longest travel time and telegraph...

Seriously, after so much League, playing someone with a doom arena is much more fun when the arena actually sticks for the vast majority of the cast, even those with dashes can't get through it you need a proper jump like Fenrir or Bastet. In League, J4 traps someone in the same way and they just Flash out, it's maddening. Them buying Combat Blink works the same but it's a significant investment from them to counter one ult instead of a free teleport from level 1 onwards.

Seriously, I would like to see Riot disable Flash for a week or so on the PBE or temporary optional playlist just to see how it goes.

StormwaveUK

Feb 1, 2011
I think dying in the first few minutes due to a stupid mistake like a miss click really depressing, especially for the reactions it causes in other players. The MOBA community is bloody awful though in general, so I don't play very often any more.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
I'm really liking Smite right now. Although when I get to character select I watch whatever everyone else is picking and just lock Odin after massive internal debate because bitches, I main J4 in League and Odin can do any solo lane, jungle or duo, he's versatile as hell. The level 3 tower dives are real. Second point in the spin at level 3 instead of the AS buff and just wait for them to extend into Lunge range for half a second. Thinking about it, I could just leave that buff with no points in it all game and focus on maxing the spin ASAP because YO THAT DAMAGE THO.

Nobody plays Odin as well, absolutely nobody. It's like they looked at the ult and went "oh too hard, I can't make plays with that. I might get my whole team killed."
I find Odin isn't really worth it when solo queueing.

He's great when you have some kind of awesome combo set up with him (Odin+Athena+Zues+Herc or something) but otherwise he ends up like Ares where everyone just buys beads and ignores you. Except with Odin they buy combat blink. So you drop your spears, then everyone jumps/blinks out and you're left in your petting zoo with just a Geb or Athena who just stand there and laugh as you nibble on their shins.

Zeles

Oct 3, 2009
When I'm not doing so well in the beginning of the game, and keep dying, even when the score is pretty even. I feel like I'm dragging my team down!

It almost feels worse when my teammates are really understanding about it too. They're being so nice and I just keep dying and letting them down!

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
JamesStone said:
LoL, DotA, Smite, whatever, I ain't here to judge. I'm personally a LoL and DotA 2 player, and I love how the MOBA genre is absolutely unique even within itself. However, it's not only the community which can bring you frustation/rage, sometimes a specific combination within the game makes you take a deep breath and say: "Fuck my e-life". This is a thread to share the worst frustration/beatdown/feeling you've ever experienced in a MOBA.

For me nothing can quite beat playing a squishy, late game carry against Bane and jungle Legion Commander. That feeling when you're Nightmare'd, your support ran away, and there's Tresdin, right next to you, just counting the seconds until she can show you where exactly you can shove your dreams of owning a Butterfly. Repeat this until Tresdin has a Divine Rapier worth of extra damage.
Yo' you think that's bad? Try playing squishy AD carry against the sudden Blink Dagger in out of nowhere Legion Commander/Skywrath Mage ult combo. Free Duel stacks in 2 seconds or less, all fucking game long.

OT: Not counting disconnecting because my internet is shit, I would say playing jungle when every ************ on your team is feeding. Bonus points when someone manages to die before I even get to do my first full clear. Also jungling is HARD in DOTA, fuck ganking. I've having a hard time living in there, PVE is hard. Almost as hard as killing the Raid Boss Wight in League early on.

Me and a friend have been working on a saying: everything in League is mostly "balanced" (although I have no idea what the fuck they think the word "nerf" means after this Lucien change) in Smite, everything is broken as fuck (CC immunity, CC immunity for everyone!) and in DOTA everything is overpowered as hell. I really can't play DOTA anymore, I'd take balanced and/or broken over Cold Snap/EMP Invoker any fucking day.

I'm really liking Smite right now. Although when I get to character select I watch whatever everyone else is picking and just lock Odin after massive internal debate because bitches, I main J4 in League and Odin can do any solo lane, jungle or duo, he's versatile as hell. The level 3 tower dives are real. Second point in the spin at level 3 instead of the AS buff and just wait for them to extend into Lunge range for half a second. Thinking about it, I could just leave that buff with no points in it all game and focus on maxing the spin ASAP because YO THAT DAMAGE THO.

I sort of want to get in on Smite, but I'm not quite sure of that 3rd person camera thingie. Mind giving some advice for a first comer?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I actually dislike the Summoner's Rift design of map. By design it splits up the party and prevents teamwork for the majority of the game. I focus on teamwork, and love playing support characters, so having to go stick to some lane and not help anyone else really grates on my nerves.

That's why I like the ARAM map a lot more. Everyone's working together from beginning to end.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
When you're dominating your lane, yet the other two lanes are getting crushed and your jungler died early so he/she is basically going to be MIA until farmed up.

It especially sucks because you just know, know that the enemy jungler is going to be camping the one lane that's giving their team fits.

The Wykydtron

Sep 23, 2010
JamesStone said:
The Wykydtron said:
JamesStone said:
LoL, DotA, Smite, whatever, I ain't here to judge. I'm personally a LoL and DotA 2 player, and I love how the MOBA genre is absolutely unique even within itself. However, it's not only the community which can bring you frustation/rage, sometimes a specific combination within the game makes you take a deep breath and say: "Fuck my e-life". This is a thread to share the worst frustration/beatdown/feeling you've ever experienced in a MOBA.

For me nothing can quite beat playing a squishy, late game carry against Bane and jungle Legion Commander. That feeling when you're Nightmare'd, your support ran away, and there's Tresdin, right next to you, just counting the seconds until she can show you where exactly you can shove your dreams of owning a Butterfly. Repeat this until Tresdin has a Divine Rapier worth of extra damage.
Yo' you think that's bad? Try playing squishy AD carry against the sudden Blink Dagger in out of nowhere Legion Commander/Skywrath Mage ult combo. Free Duel stacks in 2 seconds or less, all fucking game long.

OT: Not counting disconnecting because my internet is shit, I would say playing jungle when every ************ on your team is feeding. Bonus points when someone manages to die before I even get to do my first full clear. Also jungling is HARD in DOTA, fuck ganking. I've having a hard time living in there, PVE is hard. Almost as hard as killing the Raid Boss Wight in League early on.

Me and a friend have been working on a saying: everything in League is mostly "balanced" (although I have no idea what the fuck they think the word "nerf" means after this Lucien change) in Smite, everything is broken as fuck (CC immunity, CC immunity for everyone!) and in DOTA everything is overpowered as hell. I really can't play DOTA anymore, I'd take balanced and/or broken over Cold Snap/EMP Invoker any fucking day.

I sort of want to get in on Smite, but I'm not quite sure of that 3rd person camera thingie. Mind giving some advice for a first comer?
The third person camera is one of more interesting aspects of Smite actually, it manages to work much better than I ever thought it would with some mechanics thoughtfully used with the perspective in mind rather than just a gimmicky 3rd person DOTA clone, see all the airborne moves. If you're concerned about it, I can only tell you that it works so give it a go.

Everything is a skillshot except Neith's ult and Athena's ult so that's also really interesting. That does mean I am never playing AD Carry unless I really, really have to in Smite because you literally can miss everything and be a useless fuck and I hate how attacking slows you down. This is why we build Hastened Fatalis on Artemis to remove the debuff and I can feel the groans of people who know how to build already.

My advice is to play a tank when learning the game, probably Ymir or someone with high mobility so mistakes are more forgiving. Maybe Ne Zha as well for the mobile assassin, she he's pretty damn straightforward and has crazy high damage. Protip: rush Deathbringer for the increased crit damage, acquire squishy target, ult squishy target, do the QTE properly and he's fuckin' dead. Nu Wa if you just want to splitpush all game cuz she seems custom built to push and escape ganks while extended. She spawns her own minion waves and her stun damages towers and she has an autoattack damage buff

The Wykydtron

Sep 23, 2010
Zhukov said:
The Wykydtron said:

I find Odin isn't really worth it when solo queueing.

He's great when you have some kind of awesome combo set up with him (Odin+Athena+Zues+Herc or something) but otherwise he ends up like Ares where everyone just buys beads and ignores you. Except with Odin they buy combat blink. So you drop your spears, then everyone jumps/blinks out and you're left in your petting zoo with just a Geb or Athena who just stand there and laugh as you nibble on their shins.
At least they actually need to buy something for it, i'm always slightly surprised when they don't immediately Flash my wall whenever someone goes out of position and gets caught by the edge of it. Not League/10

He's good for a duo queue as well, anyone who can join him in his circle is good like Anhur and my friend is playing Rama who can aim his ult for free.

I tend to win lane with him and i'm the type who only plays a couple of characters in any role. Except Odin can go anywhere so it's Odin all the time. I used to play some Chaac though, he's pretty good.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Having to learn new god right off the bat with nothing but general gist. I bought Isis yesterday, and got the damage half of her kit to my head. Support half like positioning 3/4 etc is still up in the air, and avoiding ganks with wet tissue paper durability.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
JamesStone said:

Odin is one of those gods who can be absolutely game winning or absolutely worthless, depending on the other team. Some gods like bast have a jump so they can easily get out of his ult and if the enemy team buys combat blink then its hard to keep them in place, but if you combine odin with zeus or someone with a big aoe ult and they use them together then it can wipe an enemy team.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Finally playing well and getting blamed for something that for once isn't your fault.

I play MOBA's infrequently enough that when I start up again, I make mistakes. Usually the thing that makes me stop playing again is I'll start to warm up and play better but someone will blame me because I didn't read their mind and help them succeed in their terrible idea.

I have enough of a problem with getting bitched out for 45 minutes because of a mistake, but if I couldn't have saved you from yourself and you still freak out, I'm done.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Compatriot Block said:
Finally playing well and getting blamed for something that for once isn't your fault.

I play MOBA's infrequently enough that when I start up again, I make mistakes. Usually the thing that makes me stop playing again is I'll start to warm up and play better but someone will blame me because I didn't read their mind and help them succeed in their terrible idea.

I have enough of a problem with getting bitched out for 45 minutes because of a mistake, but if I couldn't have saved you from yourself and you still freak out, I'm done.
I once got flamed in LoL because I bought Doran's Sword+pot instead of Longsword + 3 pots.

All...

game...

long.

This dude wouldn't stfu about it.

"Oh, nice farming skillz, Doranoob" - I was at 75 cs at 9 mins and missed a cannon minion.

"Nice, let them get away. Doran's sure was useful." - The support escaped with 140 hp after the ADC died to me and my support.

"GJ losing us that teamfight, Doranoob." - He engaged 1vs3. The closest teammate was one lane away. There wasn't even a teamfight.

It gets better. Eventually. Or maybe you just build up a natural resistance. Whatever.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
JamesStone said:
Compatriot Block said:

I once got flamed in LoL because I bought Doran's Sword+pot instead of Longsword + 3 pots.

All...

game...

long.

This dude wouldn't stfu about it.

"Oh, nice farming skillz, Doranoob" - I was at 75 cs at 9 mins and missed a cannon minion.

"Nice, let them get away. Doran's sure was useful." - The support escaped with 140 hp after the ADC died to me and my support.

"GJ losing us that teamfight, Doranoob." - He engaged 1vs3. The closest teammate was one lane away. There wasn't even a teamfight.

It gets better. Eventually. Or maybe you just build up a natural resistance. Whatever.
Oh it's usually not due to thin-skinnedness on my part. More often I remember that I'm the only member of my friend group who even gives MOBA's the time of day, and I decide that I'd be having more fun dicking around in a strategy game or something.

I don't know what it is about MOBA flaming though. Somehow one asshole can make you forget the rest of the day's games where people were either quiet or civil.

I always try again though. This is my cycle that happens once every few months.