Worst Game/Console Title

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
Koudelka is the worst game ever created. It might not have failed on the level of ET, but it was about 15 times worse.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Nintendo is pretty bad at this - Wii, Wii U, 64, DS, 2DS, 3DS, etc. etc.

And we can't forget about the stupid names that their games have - Super Mario 64, U, "New" SMB, and the loads of other games that simply had the system's name attached at the end.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
sethisjimmy said:
I agree with pretty much all Wii U games that use U in the title. That's just lazy. Reminds me of the early days of the DS when devs had a weird thing about using DS as an acronym in the subtitle. Although that was kinda clever in a way.
Well, that's always been kinda Nintendo's thing. In the Super NES days, everything had to have Super in the title. Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Super Mario Kart, Super Ghouls and Ghosts. During the Nintendo 64, it was Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Wave Race 64, Star Fox 64, etc. I'm guessing cube was too hard to work in the title during the gamecube era.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Infinite Undiscovery...

I mean, what the heck is that even supposed to mean? Moreover, it isn't like the game was any good, and you had to play it multiple times to experience the whole story!

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
Lol@ folks just putting in games they think suck.

Anyway, I don't have a definitive answer, but having any word with "re-" drives me insane. Reveangence, retribution, reloaded, revelations.

SHUT UP YOU UNORIGINAL TRASH MANUFACTURERS.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Lets face it, Stealth Bastard is an absolutely terrible name. I'd argue that S.T.A.L.K.E.R is pretty a shit title too, non-gaming friends/family will think you are playing a game where you stalk people.

The award for best title ever goes to Guacamelee!

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
Ok how far back can we go. I guarantee that I have a game that no one would ever think of:
Target Renegade for the NES. Absolutely broken gameplay.

Also, Skyrim. Who cares about the open world when the combat absolutely blows...and people forget who you are after you rescue them...

CBanana

Aug 10, 2010
Bravely Default: For the Sequel - Nintendo 3DS

Trails in the Sky - PC/PSP (might be a pretty unfortunate name if only for the acronym it produces)

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
sethisjimmy said:
VVVVVV is one for sure.
In the context of the game though, it's genius! I always refer to it as "Vee" because I'm not going to call it "VeeVeeVeeVeeVeeVee" every time I want to talk about it.

OT:
E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy is a pretty dumb one that sticks out to me. I bought it a while back because it looks genuinely good, but the name has done nothing to entice me to play it.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
rhizhim said:
with its 1% that we dont know what it stands for. maybe the quality of the game?
The only reason I know this is because of a Let's Play, but it stands for:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_motorcycle_club#One_percenter

Obscure, vague and dumb, I know. But they didn't technically pull the number from their arse. Just the game.

They pulled the game from their arse is what I'm saying.

luckshotpro

Oct 18, 2010
sethisjimmy said:
VVVVVV is one for sure.

Anything with an word subtitle. Revelations, Retribution etc. That just says to me "We put no actual thought into this title whatsoever."

Same goes for naming reboots the name of the original game ala Tomb Raider, Sonic the Hedgehog, Prince of Persia, etc.

Beyond: Two Souls is a recent one. Not extremely offensive, but as the TBFP pointed out, you can never just call it Beyond or Two Souls because no one is going to know what you're on about.

I've said before Resident Evil is bad. It's just laughable, not egregiously terrible our anything. It's just backwards and odd.

I agree with pretty much all Wii U games that use U in the title. That's just lazy. Reminds me of the early days of the DS when devs had a weird thing about using DS as an acronym in the subtitle. Although that was kinda clever in a way.

Kingdom Hearts Three Hundred Fifty Eight Divided by Two.

Touch my Katamari

Spec Ops: The Line

Persona 3 FES. Mainly the FES part, which isn't actually an acronym and is supposed to mean festival.

DayZ aka daisy

As a bonus, some of my phonetic favorites include:

Jeanne D'Arc
Killer7
Hotline Miami
Knights in the Nightmare
Enviro-Bear 3000
DOOM
Silent Hill
No More Heroes
Castlevania
Minecraft
Adventure
Animal Crossing
Catherine
Myst
I agree with most, but I'll make a couple points.
While Resident Evil stopped making sense after the first game, the first game was about the characters going into a mansion and discovering the monsters that lived there. The "Resident Evil" if you will. I always liked the original title of Biohazard better, but I guess we're just kinda stuck with Resident Evil at this point.
Spec Ops: The Line seems a bit odd, but I'm thinking "The Line" is supposed to be a metaphor for some sort of metaphorical line that one would/wouldn't cross in an armed-conflict scenario. It makes sense to those that played the game.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Infinite Undiscovery. I don't even know what the game is about, but the title is just so baffling that I couldn't not post it.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
The Metal Gear Solid series is filled with the most hackneyed "westernized" names any Japanese developer could possibly dream up: Revengeance (is that even a genuine word?), Peace Walker, Portable Ops, Ground Zeroes (they just had to make it plural), The Phantom Pain, Social Ops, Ghost Babel.

Not to mention the main title itself doesn't make any fucking sense -- Metal. Gear. Solid. Repeat those three words long enough and your brain cells will start disintegrating; throw in the subtitles and progressive mental retardation is guaranteed.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
And yet no mention of the greatest and worst name of all time...

Brace yourself fellow Escapists for you will be...
Grabbed by the Ghoulies....

IAmTheToaster

Bread Warming Expert
Nov 8, 2013
Project Zomboid. I love the game, despite its many flaws and development issues, but the name doesn't invoke the kind of fear and urgency that I think the game is capable of.

It's not the worst title but it jumps to mind as one that doesn't fit.

EDIT:
Now that I've had another think, Final Fantasy sits in a similar camp to Project Zomboid. Final Fantasy is not a terrible name - in fact, it's quite a good one. But with almost 15 iterations in the series, discounting spin-offs, that is certainly an inaccurate title!

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I cant decide if "Shoot many robots" is the best, or worst name for a game ever.

Shout out to MGR: Revengeance..thats REVENGE with a VENGANCE..someone actually thought that was clever.

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
International Super Star Soccer Pro Evolution, in 1999 for the Playstation. (abbrevated as "ISS Pro Evolution") Stupid title but one hell of a game.