Worst game PURCHASE you ever made.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
Hmm, my first guess would be Empire Earth III, which I payed full price for. Then again, I must admit, I did clock quite a few hours on it. The world conquest mode had potential, but half the time I was running into horrible bugs.

In terms of total dissapointment, C&C 4 that I bought in a steam-sale stands out. I figured the concept was fun and assumed a large amount of the bad press came from it being different than the previous C&C games. I was wrong. It is a bad, unpolished game by any standard.

Subwayeatn

Jan 28, 2011
Brink by far. I'm always super safe on the stuff i buy. I was 100% sure they would make it perfect. And it was perfect in the trailers. Too bad it literally looks nothing like it did in the trailers, its laggy as hell, there's only 8 maps, all the classes play the same, and wall jumps (the equivalent of double jumps for scouts) bugged the game out when doing them online.

And the worst part is that i was so hyped up about it, i got a couple of my friends to get it. Boy what an asshole i felt like... :(

Thamian

Sep 3, 2008
Star Siege. After Dungeon Siege one and two, not to mention the other stunning games on Chris Taylor's resume (like Total Annihilation for example), and the promised system shock 2 like atmosphere (starship in deep space where everything had gone tits up and most of the crew were dead or turned into monsters), I was psyched and bought it immediately.

Dear christ was that game shit. It wasn't even anything in particular, it was just that everything was subtly wrong and unplayable, the combat felt like i was playing with action figues and lego, the story made about as much sense as a chocolate hearth, and the central gimmick (reducing humanity due to increasing numbers of cybernetic parts) had practically no downside to it beyond your avatar getting steadily more fucked up looking. Lets not even get started on the dialogue or voice acting....

Herr Schatz

Jul 31, 2011
I'd have to go for Far Cry 2, and mainly because I paid full price for it and expected so much from it.

Driving endlessly around the African countryside got boring fairly quickly, but I would have been fine with it if it wasn't for those ridiculous respawning checkpoints. I mean, I wipe out a checkpoint completely, then go round the corner, realise I've driven the wrong way on the map, do a U-turn and head back up the road and they're all back and all super pissed! It really got to the point where I just lost the will to play the game anymore. It wouldn't even have bothered me so much if I could breeze through them and only receive a couple of bullet holes in the side of my vehicle, but NO! When I drive through at top speed, they always managed to catch up with me in their rocket powered super jeeps! Strange considering the last time I offed their stupid asses, I took one of these miraculous vehicles but unfortunately I just didn't have the special touch to send it into hyperdrive. So they'd catch me. And they'd shoot the everloving shit out of my car. And I'd have to get out and fight them. And then I'd take their car. And then I'd hit another checkpoint two minutes later and the whole forsaken dance would start again.

To be honest, I don't think it would have been so bad if you could even slow down and use the checkpoints like they'd intended, with a dude checking your papers and what not. At least if you're not a wanted rabblerouser in the area. But I found, on my attempt to initiate this, that I just got an AK-47 clip emptied into the side of my face instead.

As a consequence I played very little of the game, which I find to be a great shame as it's not often that a game comes around that I really want to play.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
KDB said:
When I was a kid I got nearly three hundred dollars in christmas money and I bought a Turbo Graphix 16 system. Does anyone even remember that system? Biggest waste of money ever.
Neutopia was awesome.

individual11

Sep 6, 2010
SiN: Episodes. My god, it was one of the laziest productions I'd ever come across. Made on the source engine, really? How can you tell? How about 75% of the assets being Half Life 2's? I paid near full price close to release. Expecting a full game (8+ hours) with sequels in an episodic format.
I loved the first SiN, it had a sense of humour about it and gameplay that was... interesting.
SiN Episodes: Emergence was a mod, done by a lazy company, with generic generalities generalising an supposed gaming experience. The gameplay wasn't *bad*, because it was Half Life 2's gameplay. It was lazy.

The single most dissapointing full price purchase I have ever made in 20 years of playing videogames. I feel no nothing towards Rituals' failure as a developer. I have steered clear of DNF, despite loving Duke 1, 2 and 3D. I never want to experience disappointment on that scale ever again.

Becoming a bitter old man, I am.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Gunner 51 said:
I was stupid enough to buy Alone in the Dark. (The really awful one for the '360.)

Still to this day, I rue buying it. Buggy, terrible controls and the camera angles were just plain unhelpful.
That's the exact game I was going to say. I can't believe I paid full price for that game.

Runner-ups include the new Medal of Honor, Prince of Persia (remake that didn't allow you to die), and Fable III, all bought at full price and were complete crap or only had half the content that could be expected for the price (in Medal of Honor's case).

Cockney_Jesus

Feb 18, 2009
Worms 3D and Spore collector's edition. I still think of all the things I could've done with the £90 I wasted there!

88chaz88

Jul 23, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
Medieval 2 Total War on Steam. The Steam version doesn't support mods, which are the best part of the game.
Tell that to my Third Age mod that I have working with the Steam version of the game. :)

Anyway, my recent worst game purchase was probably HoN which was a preorder after I played the beta a little. Not so much a reflection of the game's quality, but not only do I prefer LoL but HoN has recently gone free to play.

Blatherscythe

Oct 14, 2009
Fable 3. They actually dumbed it down even more, it made no improvements and made even more errors. There is no freedom for expressions, combat is a chore and your character sounds like a pussy.

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
The Club on 360. God that game sucked so hard. Usually I can always say, "Well if they changed X, or maybe got rid of Y, etc.", but there's just no good in that game.

starkiller212

Dec 23, 2010
Pre-ordered and bought TWO copies of FUEL, that open-world extreme-weather racing game a couple years ago, so my brother and I could play online together. Turns out the game was like 500 sq. mi. of desolate, fugly bullshit. Traded them 1 week later for $30 total :(

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
Yie Ar Kung Fu 2 for my Commodore 64. That was pretty much the worst game I've ever bought. Where the arcade port was challenging and fun (yes, it was challenging and fun on a commodore 64!), the sequel was horribly animated and just plain stupid.

Tesral

Jul 19, 2011
Curlythelock said:
Magicka, bought it on steam and it wont work on my laptop because of some resolution problem.
The problem with Magicka is that it doesn't support integrated graphics cards, which are found in almost all laptops (bar the gaming variety). If you re download through steam and play it on any computer with a dedicated graphics card it should work.

Also, many of my favourite games are being described as terrible wastes of money. Far from raging or starting a flame war, it's actually interesting to see such a variety of opinion spread across 9 pages while still keeping on topic and not degrading into fanboy whining. Good work guys.

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
Thinking about this I realise I haven't made a shit purchase in a long time :D I did make one when it hurt me the most (cause I was piss poor). Quake Wars, played it for a short time and then never touched it :(
I'm getting too smart for the hype machine :p

IxHADOUKENxI

Dec 24, 2010
Oh sweet Jesus Easily Hydrophobia Prophecy...>.<
Now considering my laptop can comfortably run Crysis 1 on high Across the board I have no idea why every god damn graphics set up still runs slower than a fat kid whose shoe laces have been tied together by all the cool kids O.O

In short THERE IS NOTHING EVEN FUCKING FUN ABOUT IT