Worst game you ever played that wasn't full of bugs/glitches?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Kaleion said:
plus the fact that you cannot holster 2 single handed weapons as your alt is pretty stupid, if you want to use a machine-gun or a shotgun for a bit you're going to have to drop one of your weapons if you were dual wielding something.
Didnt read the whole thing but its the other way around, you cant dual wield without dropping a 2 handed weapon since they dont have a strap and Max has to carry it with one hand. You always get to bring two one-handed weapons with you.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
CaitSeith said:
Probably God of War 2. I played the first GoW, and it was good. But just after the intro of the second one, I just said "nope, not even Kratos can be so stupid"

EDIT: OK, maybe the game itself isn't bad. But it's hard to me to catalog a game as bad if it doesn't have a game breaking bug or experience hampering glitches. This is just the game that disappointed me the fastest.
I recently played through the entire trilogy(yes, I said trilogy) for the first time and the wierdness is, while the 2nd and 3rd games look so much better and have much more interesting worlds to explore and much better combat then the first one, the first one is the only one that thematically makes any sense. It's one huge tragedy in the making and works beautifully. The 2nd and 3rd games are Kratos just being a dick to everyone around him, being call out it, which makes him angry and thus more of a dick, and yet he'll pretty much let himself be lead around by the nose by whoever promises him something he thinks he wants. Not to mention occasionally lash out at powerful beings who are HELPING HIM, because ANGRY!

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Orga777 said:
But, my vote will probably go to Final Fantasy XIII. Final Fantasy VIII might be a bad game, but it is still game at heart. Final Fantasy XIII has an even worse story than VIII, even worse characters than VIII, and the game play is so on-rails that it is even worse than VIII's overly complicated monstrosity. The game is nothing more than a chore to get through with all the bad characters, horrible story, and boring gameplay. At least VIII had some cool moments and can be laughed at for its complete ineptitude. XIII just........ sucks.
I sat through a 10 hour LP of FF XIII and aside from the fact most of the characters bored me or were just annoying and the pacing was awful, the icing on the cake being that somewhere about the midpoint(?) of the game, the bad guy reveals himself to the characters and tells them "Your goal is to find something named Orphan and kill him/it. Then the world will end". There's some protest about it and they kind of sort of say "No, we're not gonna" but instead let themselves be railroaded to that exact same conclusion. They find Orphan, Kill it and then the world pretty much comes to an end. Only through a Deus Ex Machina do they not only prevent the world from being destroyed but they all get their curse lifted.

XIII-2 and Lighting returns pulled similar stunts if I recall. Not much famialr with LR, but XIII-2 involved the wonderful catch-22 where Caius was going to destroy the world by messing with time, and killing him....destroys the world by messing with time. And even if you don't try to kill him, he'll make sure he dies anyway, just to screw with you.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Happyninja42 said:
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

I couldn't get out of the tutorial. The tone of the game was such a huge change from the first one, that it just wasn't the same game at all. The playful, sarcastic, "lovable rogue" type Prince we came to love in Sands of Time was gone. In his place was this dark and gritty, angsty version of the Prince. The music went from this really awesome techno-arabian fusion, to death metal growly voice shite. And the villaness...oh god, the villaness. Introduced ass first, in a full screen closeup of her butt, wearing a metal fucking thong outfit. I turned the game off and never touched it again.
You're not missing much. I've played the entire trilogy and Warrior Within is the game I liked the least. The ONLY thing it had on Sands of Time was the combat was much better, but everything else was so emo and the world was strangely boring. You'd think a place called the FORTRESS OF TIME on the ISLAND OF TIME where the SANDS OF TIME originated from would be interesting. turns out, it's a pretty generic fantasy badguy castle, with no character at all. Oh, it's big, but it doesn't feel epic or particularly interesting. There's a present/past version of the castle but it only seems to affect how damaged some of the rooms are. There's an attempt to play with paradoxes/casuality but it doesn't really work as well as it wanted to.

Also, you can only get the canon ending by collecting all of the weapon upgrades and due to the fact sometimes you were being chased around or on a time limit, it's easy to miss one of them unless you know exactly where to look.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
The Witcher 2, without playing the first one.

Alot of blabla which probably has a 0.1% of suckin' you into the story if you've no idea who's who. They were mumblin' about all sorts of people, plots and intrigues but none of them were explained.
The menus are some the most atricious console-y pieces of garbage i've ever had to manouver through. And the combat system, good lord! It maybe wasn't smart to have finished DkS2 right before trying the Witcher 2, because in comparison i couldn't even imagine how this got past a single play tester who thought that clunky mess of a sword-wiggling contest is playable.

I was thoroughly dissapointed with this game. There wasn't a single appealing point to it. When i noticed i didn't like the game i continued for 1-2 hours more just to see if maybe there's something that'll pull me back into the game.
And i'm a huge sucker for RPGs, so i was suprised by the double.

someguy1231

Apr 3, 2015
The Purple Grape said:
Leon Royce said:
Tomb Raider 2013. A boring linear slog of quicktime events disguising a snuff film. I pirated it and stopped playing after 30% completion.
Don't worry its written by a woman so its 'more realistic' and 'builds character'. Fuck you Rhianna Pratchett. Fuck you and your shitty one dimensional writing.
Yup. Proof that female-written female characters aren't automatically superior to male-written female characters. But hey, since she isn't "sexy" anymore it's still an "improvement", right?

Speaking of, why is it that it's only female characters created and written by men who receive that sort of criticism? Has anyone ever claimed that Harry Potter is somehow less "legitimate" as a male character because he was created by a woman?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
someguy1231 said:
The Purple Grape said:
Leon Royce said:
Tomb Raider 2013. A boring linear slog of quicktime events disguising a snuff film. I pirated it and stopped playing after 30% completion.
Don't worry its written by a woman so its 'more realistic' and 'builds character'. Fuck you Rhianna Pratchett. Fuck you and your shitty one dimensional writing.
Yup. Proof that female-written female characters aren't automatically superior to male-written female characters. But hey, since she isn't "sexy" anymore it's still an "improvement", right?
Tomb Raider hasn't exactly been that great a franchise overall. Does that help this comparison that much?

The Purple Grape

Jun 5, 2015
FalloutJack said:
someguy1231 said:
The Purple Grape said:
Leon Royce said:
Tomb Raider hasn't exactly been that great a franchise overall. Does that help this comparison that much?
So to revitalize it you show a character less respect than Other M, man you have to try to fail that hard. But it was written by a female, so its fine, not generic and ripping off a ripoff. Gamers always want new stuff and new ideas, right?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
The Purple Grape said:
FalloutJack said:
someguy1231 said:
The Purple Grape said:
Leon Royce said:
So to revitalize it you show a character less respect than Other M, man you have to try to fail that hard. But it was written by a female, so its fine, not generic and ripping off a ripoff. Gamers always want new stuff and new ideas, right?
Speaking of Other M, I have a question. I don't have it, but I've seen some videos. Is it just the story people hate or is gameplay bad too?

SFMB

May 13, 2009
Algernon said:
Accepting that this is all wildly subjective, for me it was Mass Effect 2. I enjoyed ME1, mostly for it's RPG elements. When it was taken in ARPG direction I lost interest, hard. The fact that the story couldn't really stand up to scrutiny helped, and I never got around to 3.
I can totally relate to this. ME1 was fun with loot and planet exploration and the levels were bigger and not-so-railroad-like. ME2 was just generic by all accounts.
Playing Mass Effect 2 felt like a Gears of War clone, and I haven't enjoyed coverbased shooters ever.

Halla Burrica

May 18, 2014
Metroid Other M. Fuck....
I really can't stand this game, for several reasons.

First is what they did to the character of Samus. I wasn't overly familiar with Metroid, I had in fact only played MP3: Corruption, but even with just that (and a little bit of research) I was able to get what her deal was. She was a person who lived by herself, but still felt a sense of responsibility for the rest of the galaxy. She was strong and independent, capable of handling intense situations and tackling huge monsters without breaking a sweat, but not heartless either, she was clearly compassionate as well, she just didn't belong in a big group. And most important of all , she had an iron will to live on and stand up to evil, even if she was completely alone and things were bleaker than ever. She's not a terribly deep character with complex motivations and layers of depth like in for example Mass Effect or Metal Gear or even Half-Life, but she is a likeable and engaging one. She is someone you want to see win, because she is likeable and earns her victory.
Somehow, they managed to fuck up every. Single. Part. About her. She's turned into this dependant, weak, stupid and just plain irritating character, made worse by a fuckton of melodramtic, meandering inner monologue, which makes her sound more like a shitty teenager from a bad soap opera than an experienced bounty hunter (and this is coming from a guy who is in fact a shitty teenager).

But I could probably get through that if the action and gameplay was good. It ain't. Whoever thought the d-pad was a good choice for manouvering in a 3d environment, should probably have thought things through. And even with that, the combat is lackluster, because you barely have any attacks, other than running around and giving light shots, or running around and giving charged shots. Yes, that's what you do in Metroid games, but there the enemies are made around that. In this game, you have GoW-style enemies, which doesn't gel with the combat system that is clearly NOT in the style of GoW. That, and other reasons are why I don't like the gameplay here.

I haven't much more to say, because I couldn't get much further than 3-4 hours before quitting and never touching the game again. I hear it doesn't improve much gameplay-wise, but that the story gets worse, which I don't doubt.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Call of Duty: Ghosts is the only game that comes to mind. It's thoroughly competent but uninteresting in every (major) aspect of its being. It does nothing to interest the mind, not in its campaign, nor its multiplayer or the obligatory extra game mode Extinction. None of those modes are broken, and by video game standards the story/acting/writing is passable if bland. It's not broken on any major level, but it's not interesting or worthy of attention in any manner of speaking. Nothing you get from Ghosts couldn't be gotten from any of the other games in the franchise besides the slide which didn't exactly add anything like the gimmicky dive-to-prone or EXO suits did. I guess to some that makes it the ideal 5/10 game, to me the thorough lack of good makes the most despicable game in the franchise and one I just feel sad thinking about.

At least Modern Warfare 3 was crap in a so-bad-it's-good way. That game was clearly the result of a developer exploding (which it did) and desperately trying to finish the game with what they had left. Potential was both found and missed. It's a shame given that of the eleven main title games in the series, I only think two of them are outright bad[footnote]No, I don't think Call of Duty 3 is a bad game. It's just not a particularly good one.[/footnote]. I very much doubt even a Ghosts 2 could be as thoroughly average as its predecessor was, but it's still gonna be shit which is sad coming from what once were the developers of CoD 4.

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
Lufia Erim said:
Why don't people just make a " games you absolutely hate" thread. That what these things boils down to. I mean seriously is Final fantasy 13, dragon age 2 and final fantasy 8 are the absokute worst games you have ever played then either you haven't been playing games long, you haven't played many games or lady luck is your ***** ( meaning you are very lucky).

OT: street fighter: the movie: the game. It was a terrible. Ps1 game.
sagitel said:
really guys? these games are the worst you played? so either you really havent played bad games or your rage for these is too much its clouding your judgement.
the worst game i ever played was the legend of barbie and the twelve princesses (or something like that) my cousin (she is 10 years younger than me) had gotten it and wanted to play but she couldnt. so my mom made me play FOR her. 12 times. in the course of two days. i finished the game again and again and again. the first three times wer that i were the hardest but after that i went in to a trance like state where i didnt understand what was happening. its been about 4 years after that and i still buy every one disk of that game i find and burn it.

Look, if the film has no asperations toward quality to begin with, like "Night of the Lepus" or "Mosquito," when it turns out to not be all that good it's no surprise. When you have terrific ingredients, and asperations toward quality, then you end up with "Godfather 3" or "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome," it's FAR worse to me. Also, pretension, for me, takes a film much farther down the ladder, like all of Joel & Ethan Coen's films, or that complete horror, "Magnolia." Since I've always been a huge fan of the first two "Godfather" films, and basically waited with baited breath for 16 years for the third, it still stands as the most disappointing film I've ever seen. I don't think it has a good moment in it.
- http://www.beckerfilms.com/postarchive45.htm

Case in point, Legend of Barbie and the Twelve Princesses might be a worse game than Final Fantasy XIII, but who gives a crap about the former? Was anyone expecting it to be anything other than terrible?

(And yes, Josh Becker misspelled "aspirations" twice, it doesn't negate his point)

cdemares

Jan 5, 2012
All the worst games I've played probably predate 3D graphics and I don't really remember them clearly. But they make your bad sequels look like solid gold. Try the Back to the Future and Predator NES games, for instance. Actually, don't do that.

In recent times? I once played a demo for X Blades and got out of there within 5 minutes. I didn't finish the first fight.
It's hard for me to remember bad games. Honestly, the ones you don't remember are probably some of the worst.

ryessknight

May 30, 2013
Destiny. With its might as well be pay to play bullshit of half the game locked behind ps plus solid but boring gameplay and a vapor story, i played for abit then uninstalled it from my ps4 and never looked back.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
This thread is weird;

Dragon Age: Origins? Mass Effect 2? Half Life 2? Bioshock Infinite? REALLY?! That's the worst non-buggy games you have played? I personally think they are fantastic games (Bioshock Inifnite was overhyped though) and Mass Effect 2 is probably my 4th favourite game ever!

There are some I can't comment on such as Duke Nukem Forever, Max Payne 3 etc. because I haven't played them but for me personally I would say...

Fez.

The game was confusing, puzzles were annoying and the world felt disjointed. The idea was great but it bored me in under 3 hrs (and that's coming from someone who loves platformers and collecting!) I wasn't even hyped for it but I still feel let-down by it. Couldn't give 2 shits about how the sequel got cancelled. It was a gimmick of a game that tried too hard to be up there with the best Indie games (Braid, Limbo, etc.)

Animakuro

Oct 27, 2013
MetalDooley said:
I can't even remember most of the shite I've played over the last 30 or so years of gaming but 1 always sticks out for me

The Simpsons:Road Rage

Got this as part of a bundle when I bought my Gamecube.Got home,played it for about an hour and then took it to a shop and traded it in the same day.It's a Simpsons themed knock off of Crazy Taxi except they removed all the fun and replaced it with crap controls,slow vehicles and annoyingly frequent "funny catchphrases" from the characters.It's the only time in my life I've gotten rid of a game on the same day I bought it
I'm very ashamed to say this, but I watched a friend play that game at their house and it was that game that single-handedly caused me to beg my parents to buy me a PS2 that Christmas.
Yes, looking back... it is god awful. I had bad taste in gaming as a kid, okay?

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
Breath of fire: Dragon quarter

It's a short JRPG that makes it clear from the start it's going to be hard, and offers the option to start over while keeping gained levels and equipment. With that in mind I was prepared to deal with nigh-impossible odds and whatnot. However, when I gave up it wasn't because I reached a fight I could not win. I just had something else to do and didn't want to leave the console running; hadn't come across a single save point for the past 2,5 hours. Seems someone confused challenge with tedium once again.
Did I mention saving cost tokens ala Resident Evil, and those were really sparse too?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Phoenixmgs said:
Happyninja42 said:
Yeah, I feel your pain about MP3...

Though I did recently reinstall, and I might play it again on easy difficulty just to blaze through it and get to the ending. I keep hearing people say that the final fight scene, coupled with the song from the trailer is a really awesome experience to play through. It might be awesome enough for me to ignore the rest of the games down sides.
I'm not sure exactly what people refer to as the final fight, but the last real fight against the main bad guy, I guess (as they all blend together), that takes place in the airplane hanger is horrible and IMO a microcosm for everything wrong with the level design of MP3. The main bad guy is shooting a grenade launcher from the middle with lots of other baddies shooting at you from the left and right. If you actually go to far either left or right to get into an actual good tactical position, you get cutscene killed by the grenade launcher. You have to play whack-a-mole behind some luggage carriers and stay in the middle all fight or die because the game doesn't want you doing that. A lot of the game's levels play out like that where you have no real options of maneuvering around without getting killed. The 2nd to last level is the police station and that's actually the best level in the game because it's a bunch of close quarters fighting where you can have a lot of fun bullet dodging and such.
What I saw people talking about was the "airport scene". Where you run through fighting the waves of thugs while this song plays:

Which I think is a badass song, and the various comments I saw from people were basically "That stage was fucking fun as hell". That's pretty much my entire bit of knowledge on the subject, as I said I stopped playing. xD And I can see how that would be fun, for me personally, music has a powerful effect, so running around a stage while that song plays could be really badass to experience. Sadly it means playing through all of MP 3 again. xD

Dalisclock said:
Happyninja42 said:
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

I couldn't get out of the tutorial. The tone of the game was such a huge change from the first one, that it just wasn't the same game at all. The playful, sarcastic, "lovable rogue" type Prince we came to love in Sands of Time was gone. In his place was this dark and gritty, angsty version of the Prince. The music went from this really awesome techno-arabian fusion, to death metal growly voice shite. And the villaness...oh god, the villaness. Introduced ass first, in a full screen closeup of her butt, wearing a metal fucking thong outfit. I turned the game off and never touched it again.
You're not missing much. I've played the entire trilogy and Warrior Within is the game I liked the least. The ONLY thing it had on Sands of Time was the combat was much better, but everything else was so emo and the world was strangely boring. You'd think a place called the FORTRESS OF TIME on the ISLAND OF TIME where the SANDS OF TIME originated from would be interesting. turns out, it's a pretty generic fantasy badguy castle, with no character at all. Oh, it's big, but it doesn't feel epic or particularly interesting. There's a present/past version of the castle but it only seems to affect how damaged some of the rooms are. There's an attempt to play with paradoxes/casuality but it doesn't really work as well as it wanted to.

Also, you can only get the canon ending by collecting all of the weapon upgrades and due to the fact sometimes you were being chased around or on a time limit, it's easy to miss one of them unless you know exactly where to look.
Bleh, yeah, I felt it was all a downhill slope when I got to the metal thonged ass of the villainess being the first thing they introduce about her. Glad I skipped it. I really enjoyed the third game though, as it brought back some of the feel of the first, and I enjoyed the QTE's for the stealth kills they introduced. Was fun.