Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
This is quoted directly from an advert for a clothing cleaning product:

"Guarenteed to remove mud and bloodstains with ease"

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
Fasckira said:
6unn3r said:

This. He says "Hi im Barry Scott" like we're supposed to know who he is!!!
Hosted a radio show for over 25 years, quite a lot of people know who he is but admittedly from the older generation. ;)
Cillit are nothing without Scott. Used to hate, but once they toned him down, and then got shot of him, the ads haven't been half as good.

If 'good' is the right word.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Nick Angelici said:
Earthbound! It Stinks!

Im not even kidding, this was nintendos marketing slogan for THEIR OWN GAME.
Hey! That was an awesome campaign, it came with all those funny scratch and sniff stickers. =(

Obvious answer is obvious: John Romero is about to MAKE YOU HIS *****.

No, no he wasn't. And that is the single stupidest marketing campaign ever. Even EA's horrendous Dante's Inferno campaign can't beat it.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
JochemDude said:
Dead Space 2, Your Mom Will Hate It.

Seriously EA, are we being serious here...
THIS FUCKING THIS! Way to shatter all the struggle of making games into a mature medium, you go ahead and make an advert aimed towards young teenagers who aren't even supposed to buy the game, we could talk about how it's a scary games and make a tense trailer but instead you want to just make it look like a silly immature gorefest.

Pretty much most of EA's advertising ends up doing something like this, they're terrible at it, you can sell games without trying to piss off everyone who hates the medium already and giving them some more ammo to use against us.

Another that comes to mind is "Halo Killer" and "WOW Killer" I don't like either of the aforementioned games but trying to big your own game up by comparing it to something vastly more popular will not win you any credit, also you can never beat a big game by being that game, think of all the wannabe Halo's and WOW's over the years, they fall on their asses every time.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
Bebes Kids: It's animation...

From what I've heard the poster for the film says "Animation with Attitude". I think the recording probably went either something like this:

"It's animation... Oh my God I left the iron on!"

or this:

"It's animation... It's animation... I'm sorry I can't think of anything else to say".

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
I saw a car hire company who'd gone with: "You've tried the best, you've tried the rest, now try us!"

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
I'm with the several people saying "your mom hates dead space 2" people.

...it's just so stupid.

Glowbug

Jul 10, 2011
"Waste not, want not". What, actually, does that mean? I know it's meant to me "Don't throw good stuff away", but how?

NeuroticDogDad

Apr 28, 2010
ChildofGallifrey said:
Apparently Dr. Pepper has a new, low-calorie drink called "Dr. Pepper TEN". The slogan?

Great job marketing team.
I imagine the worst part is that tactic isn't even original.

OT: I seem to only remember good adverts (the point of them I suppose) but I'll try and remember one.

NeuroticDogDad

Apr 28, 2010
ChildofGallifrey said:
Apparently Dr. Pepper has a new, low-calorie drink called "Dr. Pepper TEN". The slogan?

Great job marketing team.
I imagine the worst part is that tactic isn't even original.

OT: I seem to only remember good adverts (the point of them I suppose) but I'll try and remember one.

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
So many said already.... but I think I'll go with EverQuest Online Adventures' "It's time to slay the dragon"...

Okay, I get what they're trying togo for, here... but really?

It became a point of ridicule from EQ players for YEARS. Guild raid gathers... someone spouts "It's time to slay the dragon!"... and gets a dozen or more "STFU!" or "LOL!" responses right back.

Captcha: She Howdoce
She what?

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Raiha said:
that whole "your mom will hate it" thing for dead space 2. i hope someone got fired for that entire ad campaign.
Just quoting this for truth. That entire campaign was nothing but a malicious, harmful, immature excuse for advertising, and whoever came up with the idea for it should be blacklisted from the entire industry.

I know that's a little extreme, but that really pissed me off; the last thing video games need right now, as an artistic medium struggling for social and cultural acceptance, is crap like that.