Worst plot twist you have ever seen in your life

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
we have all been through this, we're watching a movie, playing a game or reading a book and the author/writer/director decides to pull a twist that makes absolutely no sense because they think we're idiots.

for my pick I would have to go with the 2012 film Smiley. I mean holyshit the twist is so stupid I don't think I can't explain it properly so I will let Phelous explained the movies dumbass story and twist

http://blip.tv/phelous/smiley-6605570

so what's your most hated twist

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Mass effect 3 where they thought it was a good idea to turn the gleefully evil Reapers into well an intended extremist role which didn't fit with anything they ever said or done.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Hades said:
Mass effect 3 where they thought it was a good idea to turn the gleefully evil Reapers into well an intended extremist role which didn't fit with anything they ever said or done.
Incoming OOH people are still complaining about Mass Effect - when in reality, it was one of the worst cases of "we don't know what to do with the story so let's just write an ending." I didn't think it was that bad of an ending; the extended cut made it better, but Leaving elements of the other directions they wanted to take in the game didn't help when you analyze the story overall.

Assassin's Creed 4
Yeah, like no one saw that coming, yet Edward is all "OMG you're a woman!?" If any of you didn't see that coming you really need to be knocked in the head with something. All of the characters went on with it so well (No one yelling "THAT'S A WOMAN!" and punching her in the face ala Austin Powers), so prior to the reveal I started trying to convince myself that maybe it was just a really effeminate guy and there just wasn't going to be a reveal... NOPE.

There have been many others over the years, like the game where your mentor/friend turns out to be a bad guy but you can tell this from the moment he's introduced.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
SmugFrog said:
I didn't think it was that bad of an ending
It was a terrible ending and a terrible example of writing, but let's be honest here, Video games don't really have good writing in general.

Even the best parts of Mass Effect were never pulling a Virgil or Asimov *shrugs*

But yeah, within the genre, as frustrating an ending for fans as it was, it really wasn't so much bad as it was soul shattering if you were one of the people who got attached to the game and saw it ending in several ways in your head.

OT: The worst plot twist I've seen in my life was probably from one of those nineties goosebumps movies. There was a kid obsessed with ants and had an ant farm he kept fiddling around with the whole story, and at the end of the episode he wakes up, it was all a dream, and he's just a human in a human farm for ants!

I mean... that's the kind of schlock you see in those bad fanfiction stories. XD

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Hades said:
When exactly were they portrayed as gleefully evil? I recall them being extremists with a weird ideology from the very beginning.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I would say the worst kind of plot twist is one that is shown to us in it's own bloody trailer. *death stare towards Terminator Genysis*

Leon Royce

Aug 22, 2014
Xsjadoblayde said:
I would say the worst kind of plot twist is one that is shown to us in it's own bloody trailer. *death stare towards Terminator Genysis*
Movie trailers have gotten particularly bad these past ten years. Now you can save 15 bucks and an afternoon by watching the trailer and predicting the end.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Stupid-ass Sixth Sense. Seriously, I don't get how people liked this movie. The twist was a bunch of hand-waving because they couldn't write cleverly enough to not out and out lie to the audience. Lying to your audience does not a twist make, M. Night! "Ghosts only see what they want to see..." yeah, so all the shit you showed us could be swept under that idiotic rug. /descends into angry old-man ranting

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Gorrath said:
Stupid-ass Sixth Sense. Seriously, I don't get how people liked this movie. The twist was a bunch of hand-waving because they couldn't write cleverly enough to not out and out lie to the audience. Lying to your audience does not a twist make, M. Night! "Ghosts only see what they want to see..." yeah, so all the shit you showed us could be swept under that idiotic rug. /descends into angry old-man ranting
Ok where to start?
Signs- So the alien greatest weakness was water which just so happened that the planet Earth is made of about 70%- 80% of water?
The Village- The twist is so obvious that anyone can easily say what the twist (like I did as a joke) is before actually watching it!
Lady in the Water- Ok so the lead guy picked the wrong roles for those weirdo people who lived in the flat? It doesn't help when the right roles were given doesn't make it any better (like how the guy is able to read future predition from a bunch of ceral boxes?). I am still buffle that any of them believed her tale and went along with it as oppose to I don't know, think she is mentally unstable and called the authority and asked any parent if their crazy daughter went missing?

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Leon Royce said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
I would say the worst kind of plot twist is one that is shown to us in it's own bloody trailer. Now you can save 15 bucks and an afternoon by watching the trailer and predicting the end.
One of the most memorable movies I've ever seen was the Long Kiss Goodnight. I didn't have a TV and I hadn't seen a trailer of it. I went to the movie theater with some friends on a Saturday and we ordinarily catch 2-3 movies, hopping between rooms. We would see one we really wanted to see, then just pop in on another that was just starting. Well, The Long Kiss Goodnight was about 10-15 minutes in, and it looked to me to be about a lady that was in a coma that woke up a and got married and was trying to figure out who she was. I asked my friend, why are we watching this, but he said he saw the trailer and promised it was going to be good. Eventually a bunch of guys bust into the house to kill her and she kills them like a professional hitman - and that was a big WTF moment for me, having no clue what this movie was about. Turns out she's a spy that was thought dead and now has amnesia.

Catching the first bit of the movie later, this ruined the experience. I thought the movie could have been edited/written better to hide the fact of who she is really is.

It got me to thinking; if we could watch movies with no trailer at all, just going in and watching it, it would make for a more exciting experience - provided that the movie/game is actually worth seeing and you are going to enjoy it. Unfortunately we don't have a way of knowing if we're even interested unless we see a trailer. There are too many movies/games (even classics) fighting for your time, so we pick and choose based on what we see, which ruins a lot of the surprise.

Imagine a movie that's a romantic comedy - but then there's an unexpected twist and it's an action movie in space (yes I'm aware it sounds like a horrible movie). How can you do that in the trailer to entice people without giving too much away?

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
For most hilariously bad plot twist, I turn to Mars of Destruction:

(Watch the whole thing for the full effect.)

Otherwise, there's a few others. One that comes to mind is the anime film Hal, which is a romance about a girl whose boyfriend dies in a plain crash, so a scientist try to help her... by crating a robot duplicate of her boyfriend in order to "heal" her. Needless to say, it goes about as well as you'd expect.

I was already against the idea of the film, but as it went on it started to grow on me. That is until the twist happened...

As it turned out, the robot was actually the real boyfriend, who didn't die nor was he even on the plane. The girlfriend was actually the real robot. It turned out that it was the girl who died in the plane crash, and that the boyfriend became so traumatized that he self-inflicts amnesia and started thinking he was a robot. So all this was a set-up by the scientist, and he was the one in need of "healing."

The movie ends with the robot girlfriend sacrificing herself to save him and sinking to the bottom of a river. Despite basically watching his girlfriend die again right before his eyes, all this apparently works and doesn't deeply traumatize him even more, and he finds the will to live again.

I almost saw it coming, too, as there was a scene earlier that showed video footage of before they boarded the plain, and it was a thought that popped into my head. I dismissed it because it was too stupid to be true.
That plot twist pretty much destroyed that movie for me, and it baffles me that people actually liked that twist.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Scarim Coral said:
Gorrath said:
Ok where to start?
Signs- So the alien greatest weakness was water which just so happened that the planet Earth is made of about 70%- 80% of water?
The Village- The twist is so obvious that anyone can easily say what the twist (like I did as a joke) is before actually watching it!
Lady in the Water- Ok so the lead guy picked the wrong roles for those weirdo people who lived in the flat? It doesn't help when the right roles were given doesn't make it any better (like how the guy is able to read future predition from a bunch of ceral boxes?). I am still buffle that any of them believed her tale and went along with it as oppose to I don't know, think she is mentally unstable and called the authority and asked any parent if their crazy daughter went missing?
Oh no doubt about it, he's cranked out one lazy turd after another. I just picked on Sixth Sense because its the one everyone says is "good." It's not good. None of them are good!

Continuing with the trend:

Unbreakable - I'm supposed to believe that Bruce Willis never knew his own strength?? Like he never tried to move a piece of furniture in his life and picked it up like it was nothing? The guy's never tried to move anything heavy at work?

Signs - Not only do the Aliens invade a planet covered in a thing theya re allergic to, they can't even be assed to put on, I dunno, a jumpsuit or something? Not getting wet should be fairly easy for a race that can travel lightyears!

The Happening - Maybe not the worst plot twist but when you've got Marky Mark trying to reason with a plant and people running away from the wind the movie is shit.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Maybe it's because I saw it just yesterday, but I'll go with Devil's Advocate.
OK, by the later parts of the movie I stopped liking it and started skipping a minute here and there, so maybe I am wrong, but:
So, this whole thing is happening in Keanu Reeveses characters head and he is actually in a bathroom right before triumphantly defending a pedo. So he tells him to fuck the hell off, losses the case and lives happily ever after. And by the way, Al Pachino is not a Devil, but an angel (?) who took a role of a Devil to guide Keanu. Well, I did not like it at all.
Maybe later I'll edit my comment and add something else.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Bravely Default has a good pivotal plot twist, which is ruined by the appalling execution. Basically,
The fairy who's been guiding you through your adventure turns out to have been manipulating you into fucking up an infinite number of worlds the whole time. This would have been cool, but it's implied and foreshadowed so heavily, to the extent they put a big hint on the bloody title screen after a certain point in the story.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
SmugFrog said:
Assassin's Creed 4
Yeah, like no one saw that coming, yet Edward is all "OMG you're a woman!?" If any of you didn't see that coming you really need to be knocked in the head with something. All of the characters went on with it so well (No one yelling "THAT'S A WOMAN!" and punching her in the face ala Austin Powers), so prior to the reveal I started trying to convince myself that maybe it was just a really effeminate guy and there just wasn't going to be a reveal... NOPE.
Haha, yeah i can remember that one. I even think i made a threat about it here when the game came out.
You gotta admit though it was the most surprising twist ever. I would have never guessed that Edward is really brain-damaged and didn't notice that his obviously female buddy was female.
When they introduced the character i was a bit confused at first, because everyone talked about here like she was a man, but after a while i thought they were all just really progressive and didn't have a problem with a woman doing manly stuff. The game romanticised everything else about pirates in the game so making them also feminists didn't seem like too much of a stretch.
But i would have never guessed that i was supposed to think that that was a man. Freaking hell.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Personally, I'm still seething about the ending to "Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion".

Ok, so somehow the Incubators captured Homura after the end of the series and experimented on her Soul Gem, turning her into a Witch, who in turn, trapped the entire city in her Labyrinth. (...Bunnycat is such a dick.) When Homura realizes this, she goes full Witch, so the other Magical Girls have to fight her. When it's all over, Madok gets her god powers back and starts to bring Homura to her afterlife... Only for Homura to go and steal those powers away from her. What the fuck.

Look, I understand why Homura did what she did, you don't go through an entire lifetime's worth of turmoil like she did without going a bit nuts... But the problem is, I was fine with how the show ended on a bittersweet note! This... Just feels kinda hollow, like everything they went through was for nothing. Though that may have to do with my own personal biases. I admit though that the movie is probably better than I thought, my distaste for the ending colored my opinion of it too much.

...Well, at least Kyubey finally got his comeuppance, I suppose.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
One I can think of that hasn't been brought up yet is in this book The End. Plot is a massive EMP is set off over the continental United States, survival ensues. Sound like it could be a fun read, right? Wrong. Writing is crap, pretty much all the characters are psychos/stupid/complete bitches/all three, and there is no logic to anything (do any of the US's allies come to help? No. The majority of the Marines defect and decide to take over part of the US to build their own warrior country? Sure. People are still standing around waiting for the power to come back on weeks after seeing everything electronic go off, including seeing cars go dead and planes falling out of the sky? You know it.).

Anyway, two of the characters that we follow are a General and the new President. New president decides that hey, one of these countries we don't like was bound to have done this, so let's just nuke them all back to the stone age. General is all 'oh hey, that's really not cool since A.) That's stupid. B.) You'd be killing millions upon millions of innocents. C.) There's no proof that any of them did it. D.) That's insanely stupid', so he decides to gather up fellow top ranking fellows to remove the new president from power and stop the incredibly stupid thing from happening. All is good, right? NOPE! Turns out new president knew all along, and got all the general's allies to side with him, convincing them that no, it's the general that's stupid and crazy, and shoots the general dead.

Except the new president is one of the characters the story is told from, and not once did it ever come up that he heard anything of the sort, or convinced anyone that the general was wrong. So, the new president goes on to nuke a shitton of people because the fuckwit author believes that is what the US should really do.

Pikey Mikey

Aug 24, 2010
One that springs to mind is Beyond: Two Souls

I watched Jesse Cox play it (to and fro) and after 20-30 minutes I thought to myself "I really hope that it really is some strange being that they never explain and not something retarded like her dead twin-brother" and oh dear god did I call it. Good thing I never bought it or played it. (David Cage is a failure of the games industry)