Worst RPG Ever?

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Final Fantasy X.
Final Fantasy X-2.
Final Fantasy XIII.
And i'm going to throw in a rough guess at Final Fantasy XIII-2 being shit aswell.

Not down to game mechanics or anything just the characters (although FF XIII felt nothing at all like a FF game).

Both of them had characters in them I found so annoying I wanted to choke whoever designed and voiced them with their own intestines.

Remind me a bit of War of the Worlds remake with Tom Cruise. I never managed to watch past the first 30 minutes due to those irritating as fuck kids.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Two Worlds on the Xbox 360. It is quite simply unplayable, due to the extreme frame-rate issues that plague it all the time. On the 360 it's not simply a terrible game (like on the PC), it's a slide-show of a terrible game.

The sad part is you can get it to a near-playable standard by opening up a debug console and turning off all the graphical features, but it takes about 5 minutes to manually type everything in with a controller and then another 5 for it all to load. However, considering how poor the game is anyway, it's simply not worth the trouble to do that every single time you want to play.

It's worse than any retro RPG I've ever played, and I can't imagine a more difficult test of your patience.

Still, if it has to be retro, then Daggerfall without patches. Have fun searching through incredibly confusing and repetitive randomly generated dungeons for items that may or may not exist (depending on whether the game is feeling kind today). The game's actually quite fun when patched, if a little repetitive and unfair at times.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
FredTheUndead said:
King of the Sandbox said:
FredTheUndead said:
Them's some nice opinions you got there, pardner. /tips hat
Defend FF8. Go on, I'm curious as to what possible argument you could have for it. Or DA2 and FFX for that matter. F3 and ME2 I can sort of see if you just want to shoot things (though they're still terribly written).
...k, in my opinion, the characters were interesting, their relationships were interesting, the combat was interesting, the etc, etc, etc.

I'm not going to try and convince you. As I said, these are my opinion, and you have your own. I have no desire to change yours, and if the same can't be said vice versa? Well, That's your snake to wrassle, not mine, pardner.

/tips hat again

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Morrowind... for the first few lvls, once you lvl up to the point why you can actually hit stuff it becomes not one of the best RPGs ever but one of the best games ever!

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Bard's Tale 2: The Destiny Knight

It's old, oldskool, unfair, hard.

It also got pretty good reviews at the time, but judge for yourself. It's huge and maybe a handful of people have ever beat it. The final dungeons are next to impossible even if you cheat with unlimited gold.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Forsooth! Two Worlds. Clunky combat, buggy animation, just not fun.

That, or Infinite Undiscovery. Unless I missed an entire butt load of sidequests, the game only lasted about 4 hours.

And, I actually liked FF8. Though, I can see why some might not like it, if they tried to play it as any other RPG. The enemies level scale, thus if you're not keeping your party's levels low (mid-low teens), you're playing it wrong.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
FredTheUndead said:
FredTheUndead said:
Them's some nice opinions you got there, pardner. /tips hat
Defend FF8. Go on, I'm curious as to what possible argument you could have for it. Or DA2 and FFX for that matter. F3 and ME2 I can sort of see if you just want to shoot things (though they're still terribly written).
...k, in my opinion, the characters were interesting, their relationships were interesting, the combat was interesting, the etc, etc, etc.

I'm not going to try and convince you. As I said, these are my opinion, and you have your own. I have no desire to change yours, and if the same can't be said vice versa? Well, That's your snake to wrassle, not mine, pardner.

/tips hat again
Fair enough, but one thing: THE -COMBAT-!? xD You mean the draw and repeat ad infinitum? Granted the combat in FF8 certainly wasn't as tedious in general (barring the magic draw mechanic and the GF 'power-ups- that saw us pressing square a million times over the course of the game) when compared to some other FF games, but really, they've barely made -any- improvement on the basic system since FF1:

Oh noes random encounter!

Attack/Spell/Summon (In the case of the latter two watch lengthy sequence. Every. Time.)

Wait till enemy attacks.

Repeat until enemy falls over and disintegrates.

Da_Vane

Dec 31, 2007
Define RPGs for me: For the most part, most action RPGs would count for me, since I don't really enjoy the genre all that much. I'd go with Lionheart here, since it was one of the biggest let downs when it became an action RPG.

For actual difficulty - I would go with any of the old-school RPGs, such as the early Ultima or Might and Magic games. It's not that these are bad, but because of limitations from why they were created, they can be considerably tough compared to modern RPGs. They've not aged well, but do reflect a time when there absolutely was none of these modern contrivances we take for granted today.

They are long games, with limited graphics, that focus on grinding, often with seriously insane amounts of difficulty. It can take a while to get into these games, and navigating the interfaces for most of them is enough to make you want to end it all!

Personally, Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics, are excellent games, but many people find them heard because they are turn-based RPGs. If you are used to Fallout 3, and haven't had the pleasure of the past games, then you may be in for a shock. The fact that Fallout 3 is basically an Oblivion clone, rather than a Fallout game was a major let down for many. Bethesda basically raided the IP and abandoned the game itself, so it's a shift that is about as sacriligeous as a Fallout movie or web-series being called Fallout 3 and treated as the same type of game. (Btw, look up Nuka-Break by Wayside Creations, because that rocks).

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
GothmogII said:
Oh look, someone else who doesn't know how to properly 'draw' magic. ;)
Do tell? Because, other than sticking a PS1 controller on auto and then leaving the room I would have loved an easier way to do it way back when. :/

Besides which, it was -still- a tedious mechanic and it's incomprehensible that anyone working on the game failed to ask themselves at any point: Hey, is this fun?

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
GothmogII said:
GothmogII said:
Do tell? Because, other than sticking a PS1 controller on auto and then leaving the room I would have loved an easier way to do it way by when. :/

Besides which, it was -still- a tedious mechanic and it's incomprehensible that anyone working on the game failed to ask themselves at any point: Hey, is this fun?
Lrn2 google, good sir. And I enjoyed the game immensely, thanks. ^_^ I'm sorry to hear you didn't care for it however. -_-' But I respect your opinion. ^_^

AzureRaven

Jul 21, 2011
FredTheUndead said:
Fallout 3, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy 8, Mass Effect 2, and Dragon Age 2.
Oh look, a person bashing popular games because it's not their cup of tea. I don't even like DAII at all, but again, apparently it was decent at best since some people liked it. I thought people had gotten past that. For example, I don't like KH in the least, but I admit it's doing something right if so many people like it. Your opinion is not the standard for RPGs. /rage

OT: Old School UNFAIR RPGs? Hmmm...that's tough. A lot of them had a higher difficulty curve, but I don't think I could name many off the top of my head that were just straight unfair. Not that old anyway. Someone mentioned the Lunar game for the DS though, and that one is just...ripping-out-hair frustrating. Whose bright idea was it to not let you target the enemy you're attacking? And I kinda liked some of the other Lunar games too.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
GothmogII said:
GothmogII said:
Do tell? Because, other than sticking a PS1 controller on auto and then leaving the room I would have loved an easier way to do it way by when. :/

Lrn2 google, good sir. And I enjoyed the game immensely, thanks. ^_^ I'm sorry to hear you didn't care for it however. -_-' But I respect your opinion. ^_^
Sneaky sneaky. I never said I didn't like the game. ;) I just think the combat mostly sucks donkey butter. Other than that, it was the best Christmas 1999 ever. :3 Though in hindsight and through contamination by other people's opinions and reviews I have noticed a lot of it's flaws that I otherwise did not when I was younger, I still have a fondness for it however.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
The second was faaaar to alien to be comfortable in.
But that doesn't make it bad now does it? Except for the combat.
Well, I consider it ambiguously and personally bad, if that makes any sense. I don't think it was a horribly made game, however, no. Just bad for me and the style of games I enjoy.

Buidoirican

May 24, 2010
...N64 or older huh?

Nintendo:
Mother. Basically like Earthbound (being the predecessor) but cheap and certainly grind-filled.

Super Nintendo:
Paladin's Quest.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

On the Dreamcast there was the horrible anime-esque game Evolution which had like a gamecube remake I think. The game itself isn't hard more so annoying to go through.

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
SilverJin02 said:
FredTheUndead said:
Fallout 3, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy 8, Mass Effect 2, and Dragon Age 2.
Oh look, a person bashing popular games because it's not their cup of tea. I don't even like DAII at all, but again, apparently it was decent at best since some people liked it. I thought people had gotten past that. For example, I don't like KH in the least, but I admit it's doing something right if so many people like it. Your opinion is not the standard for RPGs. /rage

OT: Old School UNFAIR RPGs? Hmmm...that's tough. A lot of them had a higher difficulty curve, but I don't think I could name many off the top of my head that were just straight unfair. Not that old anyway. Someone mentioned the Lunar game for the DS though, and that one is just...ripping-out-hair frustrating. Whose bright idea was it to not let you target the enemy you're attacking? And I kinda liked some of the other Lunar games too.
Popularity is not a measure of quality, nor will it ever be, unless you'd like to praise the Bayformers and Twilight films.

Jun 13, 2010
Well, I won't call them bad games but some of the older Fire Emblem games can be pretty brutal. Once a character dies, they're permanently dead meaning that one careless move can get rid of hours of work. And it autosaves every time you make a move so there's no going back. They're not unfair most of the time, they simply punish carelessness. Extremely.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
FredTheUndead said:
Also ME2 has Mordin.
And how is that a bad thing exactly? Mordin is awesome.

OT: I've honestly never played a retro RPG that I hated. The only thing that comes to mind would be Final Fantasy X-2 for the PS2. I hated that game so much.

Buidoirican

May 24, 2010
Fragrance of Mtn Dew said:
Well, I won't call them bad games but some of the older Fire Emblem games can be pretty brutal. Once a character dies, they're permanently dead meaning that one careless move can get rid of hours of work. And it autosaves every time you make a move so there's no going back. They're not unfair most of the time, they simply punish carelessness. Extremely.
Isn't that pretty much all the Fire Emblems though? I love playing through them for the strategy though I have yet to beat any of the ones I've played.