Korahn 27

Apr 7, 2010
targren said:
Anyway... to answer the question:

/me dons asbestos boxers

*Ahem*

Final Fantasy VII.

Yes, I said it.
Yeah. While FF7 was basically the driving force behind the cinematic cutscenes and was a pretty important title as far as game creation goes, the game itself was pretty 'meh.' All I really remember about the game is something about clones, a meteor, a dead chick, Mr T with a gun-arm, and a chick with big boobs.

In fact, dare I say, I didn't enjoy many Final Fantasy games, aside from 3/6 (mainly because you have a moogle as a party member) and 9. the latest was dull as crap and 10............. I'll pretend that doesn't exist. Yes, I even like 8 slightly better than 10.

Now I just want to go play Chrono Trigger and Earthbound again.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Seventh Saga for the Snes. It's actually kind of a cool game with a decent story but it's really really cheap and hard. Good luck.

targren

May 13, 2009
Eric Starr said:
In fact, dare I say, I didn't enjoy many Final Fantasy games, aside from 3/6 (mainly because you have a moogle as a party member) and 9.
I really liked the gameplay of 9, and that it had a more retro feel (remixes of the retro music, learning skills/spells from items a la FF VI, etc.) but for some reason, the story just wasn't very memorable. Most of what I remember that it was the first FF with furries (not counting moogles), some kangaroo/goat chick pining away for an old boyfriend, and Steiner.

Oh, and that it actually made the stupid card game a requirement to advance the #@$! plot. I hated that so hard.

Jerubbaal

Jul 22, 2011
King of the Sandbox said:
FredTheUndead said:
FredTheUndead said:
Them's some nice opinions you got there, pardner. /tips hat
Defend FF8. Go on, I'm curious as to what possible argument you could have for it. Or DA2 and FFX for that matter. F3 and ME2 I can sort of see if you just want to shoot things (though they're still terribly written).
...k, in my opinion, the characters were interesting, their relationships were interesting, the combat was interesting, the etc, etc, etc.

I'm not going to try and convince you. As I said, these are my opinion, and you have your own. I have no desire to change yours, and if the same can't be said vice versa? Well, That's your snake to wrassle, not mine, pardner.

/tips hat again
Also, the story for FF8 actually made coherent sense, unlike FF7. Not that FF8's story didn't have its own plot holes and oddities, but it really did make a helluva lot more sense than 7.

EricKei

Aug 30, 2010
I'd have to go with the insomnia cure known as Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest on the SNES. Either it's been too long since I owned a cart, or I blocked it from my mind -- but, from what I recall, it was a great example of the implementation of poor design choices in a JRPG. It was truly dreadful (though, I guess it gets at least one point up over FFVIII for not featuring some emotionless stick-in-the mud as a main chara), boring, and ugly; the combat didn't do much for it, either. 7th Saga gets honorable mention, despite the variety of different chara archetypes.

I seem to recall that I had NES games that looked better and were more fun to play (Dragon Warrior), and I KNOW that I had some SMS games that made it look like dirt (Phantasy Star) and held my interest until the end, despite the fact that they, themselves were old-school JRPG's.

sharkinz

Apr 26, 2010
I would say Baulders (spl?) game for the original XBOX. Because in my opinion a games quality should be based off of how much fun you have playing it and I did not have fun playing that game. It just felt kinda tedious to me.

targren

May 13, 2009
...k, in my opinion, the characters were interesting, their relationships were interesting, the combat was interesting, the etc, etc, etc.
Okay, so I'll admit (grudgingly) that FF8 was my favorite of the post-3d era Final Fantasy games, but I really have to call you out on the combat.

Once you got STATUS-J, you might as well have called it a win right there. :)

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
I couldn't get into Xenosaga: Episode 1. I know it isn't retro, but I felt like bringing it up. I played it for an hour or so, and it was just cutscene after boring cutscene. Nothing interesting was even happening, at least so called terrible RPG's Final Fantasy X and XIII had stuff blowing up and what have you.

I'm not a huge fan of the interface and gameplay of Fallout and Fallout 2 either. Wonderful stories and world, but I had to force myself through all the stuff I didn't care for to experience it. I'm not sure if I could get into Planescape: Torment or not...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Killgor13579 said:
as true as that is FF 8 was still the worst one and haunts my memories as the great death of my time
I don't know about that. While it's true that a few parts of the story made me groan and there was the gigantic colossal dick move around the 3rd disc that ultimately prevented me from finishing the game, but overall I wouldn't say it was that bad.

@OP: If you are going to attempt this one, beware the dick move. It comes around the 3rd disc, I won't give away any major spoilers, but suffice it to say you'll be stiving to rescue Renoa and they'll be a tower involved. DON'T USE ANY SAVE POINTS INSIDE THE TOWER!!

magequest

Mar 21, 2011
as much as people as going to hate this...
-fable 2
it's just boring, generic and moral systems just don't work
-morrowind
I'm hate to be a graphics snob but it's hard to be immersed with funky walk cycles, walls of text and the whole game looking awful

cybran

Jun 15, 2010
spartandude said:
Morrowind... for the first few lvls, once you lvl up to the point why you can actually hit stuff it becomes not one of the best RPGs ever but one of the best games ever!
Then you need to rework your starting skills and attributes =P

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
cybran said:
spartandude said:
Morrowind... for the first few lvls, once you lvl up to the point why you can actually hit stuff it becomes not one of the best RPGs ever but one of the best games ever!
Then you need to rework your starting skills and attributes =P
its just a matter of fact no matter how you start out (in vanilla version) every other attack misses until you get your skillm to about 75. the combat in that game is abysmal but everything else (except for dated graphics) is utterly amazing

Fenixhart

Mar 26, 2009
targren said:
Eric Starr said:
In fact, dare I say, I didn't enjoy many Final Fantasy games, aside from 3/6 (mainly because you have a moogle as a party member) and 9.
I really liked the gameplay of 9, and that it had a more retro feel (remixes of the retro music, learning skills/spells from items a la FF VI, etc.) but for some reason, the story just wasn't very memorable. Most of what I remember that it was the first FF with furries (not counting moogles), some kangaroo/goat chick pining away for an old boyfriend, and Steiner.

Oh, and that it actually made the stupid card game a requirement to advance the #@$! plot. I hated that so hard.
... Burmecians are Rats.

The story wasn't memorable because It sort of fell apart at the end. But the ending stil managed to jerk manly tears from me...god I can be such a sap.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
TriggerHappyAngel said:
"The last Remnant" crap
Poor Last Remnant, nobody ever treats you like I do, do they?

OT: You should play an RPG that was reviewed by the Angry VG Nerd (like Hydlide).
Yeah, Last Remnant actually had a good combat system, that I would love to see implemented in other RPGs. It makes managing a very large party workable and allows for a different level of strategy in putting together your different groups. It's got practically infinite customizability.

Unfortunately, though, that was the only good thing about it, as far as I got (a little over halfway). Maybe I'll review it and give it what it deserves should I ever get around to actually finishing it. I've got another JRPG to finish first... ;)

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
congratz OP, you have made the unofficial Flame war thread!

OT: probably Two Worlds
Fallout New Vegas (not nearly as bad but gets punished for being unoriginal)