Worst Thing About Gaming is Other Gamers, Says NBA Jam Developer

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
How to do it? Increase the learning curve so you actually have to put time into a game for it to be fun. Make people actually have to invest something in the experience and they won't be complete jerks just because they can. Also have penalties for being an ass.

America's Army 3 is a good example of this.
It takes a good deal getting used to in order to be able to play well and there are severe consequences for tking (if it's obvious enough, the game will autoboot you and put your character in prison).

Another problem with a lot of games is that they are based on engines in which the PC is basically a one man army, and as a result, the lack of teamwork often transfers over into multiplayer.

Edit: AA3 also takes care of this. The team that wins isn't the one with the better players, it's the one that works together.

It also helps that in AA, when you die, you're dead for the round. People don't just run and gun, respawn, and repeat.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
Not to start a war here but I own both an xbox360 and a PS3, and I spend about the same amount of time on MW2 on each consoles. I find that I come across more people on the xbox that ruin the gaming experience for me to the point where I get bored and turn of the console and do something else. I am not saying that I do not come across A-holes on the PS3, but definitely more on the xbox in games like MW2 and GTA.

I must say that I do enjoy when I hear a parent walk into the room of one of these kids that have a foul mouth and you hear the parents yelling at there kid for using that type of language. Then its funny because the kid is no longer online.. and hopefully getting a beating from Mom or Dad...

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
TLatshaw said:
Brotherofwill said:
This is why anyone with sense will know: Nothing beats local multiplayer.
Absolutely. I could never imagine playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii with anyone not in shoulder-punching distance.

So true... no truer words have ever been spoken... also this applied with N64 and GoldenEeye..

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
....and now in other news from 'Fluffy Fairy Cotton Candy Make-Believe Land'

The KKK disbanded and have started recording a charity single to raise money for haiti.

The world has disbanded all military forces and spend the saved money on world-wide universal healthcare and wiped out the phrase '3rd world'

Seriously, this is like Obama standing up and saying the world would be a nicer place is people didnt kill each other.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
I really would like to believe this is a "gaming" issue, but I don't think it is. Video games are more popular/widespread than they've ever been, so the idea that we're some specifically antisocial demographic seems outdated. I think people in general are taking a turn for the worse.

Sir Moomin

Apr 16, 2010
I Hate it! Yes im having a bad day and sucking at halo but do you really have to teabag me and rub it in my face? just infuriates me normally i get out of party chat and say what i think! and i dont think im the only one!

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Correct, that's why I never play online. WoW isn't that bad, but it's just full of idiots.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
cursedseishi said:
Terramax said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Sadly, figuring out how to get millions of largely anonymous gamers to be nice to each other is a puzzle that is yet to be solved.
Have one of those anti-swearing devices put around their necks like Cartman did in the South Park movie. You could give one free with every game purchase. Just lock them on.
Except we saw how that turned out... Cartman gained powers like those of Static Shock, and endulged in the reference of a DBZ Ka-me-ha-me-ha, where the longer the attack name is drawn out or just wastes time saying it, the more dramatic and powerful it is, specially if uttered again while the attack is still going.

You really want more 12yr olds running around like that?
Well as long as the blood of two Canadian comedians aren't spilt, bring the resurrection of Satan himself, we should be fine.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
There's a reason I don't play online with my headset, so thankfully I'm not one of the Meta-Cunts.

Trifixion

Infamous Scribbler
Oct 13, 2009
Puzzle that is yet to be solved? Bah. Modify the controllers so that when it's determined that some asswipe is mouthing off it sends a different sort of force feedback - namely a high-voltage, low-amperage electric shock - into the fucker's nervous system.

zombiestrangler

Sep 3, 2009
I think it's because people are babied more and are told that they are special and can do whatever they put their mind to. It gives a false sense of self. People need to hit their children and destroy their self-esteem in some part so they don't feel compelled to mouth off because they think they're better than everyone else.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I find it interesting that most of the complaints here are from previous experiences with either MMOs or FPS'. I guess it's a good thing I'm more active in the fighting game community than anything else. Don't get me wrong, shit-talkers abound of course, but they're noticeably less frequent, and it's a lot more difficult to back your words up (at least to my knowledge, I could be wrong of course); all you need is for that one person to stomp you into the ground and there goes your reputation.

chinomareno

Sep 4, 2010
The behavior starts off before they are online and carries over when they are drunk on anonymity.

Weird thing is my worse experiences are usually team coop games like L4D where you need the other players, everyone acts like Rambo. Smack talk never bothers me.

Napierdalac

Oct 3, 2010
Well, it's quite simple to get rid of most of the ignorance. For example, in MW2 why have chats? No one ever works together anyways - other than clans, and they dont speak public anyway.
Most games could use the same method.

Ofc, in games like WoW it wont work, but who plays WoW with strangers? I played WoW through the last year of vanilla and the whole of TBC, and i rarely played with pugs after i made some buddies in game. So the shittalking never really bothered me there.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
The first game I played on Xbox Live was FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage. And the community was fucking awesome. Sure, there were a few bad ones, but when they got constantly ignored by the people who cracked jokes and kept the racing fun they would soon just shut up and play.

My last Xbox Live experience then? GTA IV a few months ago. Ended up in a one-on-one deathmatch with a girl that must've been about twelve years old. After a while some guy around the same age takes over and starts insulting me with the usual homophobic and racial slurs (which is kinda funny seeing that I'm white). A short while later another guy that might have been a year or two older starts claiming that he is the girls father and wants to know my "intentions" and goes on about how strongly she feels for me.

... seriously, all I wanted was to play some GTA online. I didn't want to be insulted, I didn't want to listen to stupid bullshit, I wanted to play a game and have a friendly chat while doing that. Does anyone remember when that was still possible?

Snow Fire

Fluffy Neko Kemono
Jan 19, 2009
This is why I host a local server for my friends, and their friends, and set a password. Keeps any garbage out so we can all have a stellar time playing. I've had quite a few bad experiences with online play, makes me wary to play online.