Worst use of Deus Ex Machina you've ever seen

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
Transformers, Click, I'd say almost every episode of House. "Oh my God! I just found out the answer to the mysterious disease right before they were going under for the wrong type of treatment!" "oh, okay! That means we don't have to cut off this little girl's arm."

For all of House's praise, TV shows should not make me want to dropkick the TV.

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
Sheaphard117 said:
The James Bond gadgets.

Seriously, whenever Bond got in trouble (in the good James Bond's that is) he would always have the perfect gadget for the occasion. It got a little old for my tastes. (this is probably gonna recive some hate)
I don't really mind this problem, as you actually see him getting the gadgets & they are explained. I only find that sort of thing to be a problem if the gadget is whipped out of some utility belt that you've never seen the contents of.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Sheaphard117 said:
The James Bond gadgets.

Seriously, whenever Bond got in trouble (in the good James Bond's that is) he would always have the perfect gadget for the occasion. It got a little old for my tastes. (this is probably gonna recive some hate)
This, you could give James Bond a nut scratching machine and it will inevitably save his life or the life of some Bond girl.

It's rather insulting to the audience, I remeber watching a Bond movie where he is given a remote control for his car and I immediatley thought "He's going to use that while in the backseat or trunk of his car while bad guys shoot at him," and I was 100% percent right.

Ursus Buckler

Apr 15, 2011
Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes, when Peracles the chimp stops the war by landing a spaceship with every ape instantly believing it to be their God. Unquestioned. Not one ape questioning why he seems less evolved or whether he is in fact their God. One of the many things that made that movie shit.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Every single fight that involves Sasuke Uchiha or Aizen Sosuke.

Sasuke vs Deidara and Aizen vs EVERYONE are the best examples of this.

Sasuke: "Suuuuuure it was established that I was out of chakra, but I can still reactivate the Sharingan, preform a major summoning, mind control said summon, climb into it's mouth, then de-summon it to avoid a five mile wide explosion. After it went off. THREE FEET FROM ME."

Aizen: "Oh yes, I forgot to mention...even the creator of this MacGuffin was wrong about what it does. IT GRANTS WISHES BECAUSE I SAY SO."

Lord Merik

May 17, 2011
Actual said:
Doctor Who's sonic screwdriver. Every fucking episode he waves that thing around says some tech mumbo jumbo, bad guys fuck off, and the episode ends. It's such lazy writing.
This. Its almost funny. But he is The Doctor, so I forgive him.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Ichigo Kurosaki: That guys a freaking BREATHING "Deus Ex Machina". Case and point, after that fight with Ulquiorra where he gets killed what happens? He turns into a freaking monster and owns the guy before coming back fully healed...well, atleast at the end of the series he loses his powers and goes on to live a normal life (as far as I'm concerned, bleach ended there...they don't have much else to really go on with Ichigo I'm afraid, and I'm not liking the new 'arc' too much).

Lord Merik said:
Actual said:
Doctor Who's sonic screwdriver. Every fucking episode he waves that thing around says some tech mumbo jumbo, bad guys fuck off, and the episode ends. It's such lazy writing.
This. Its almost funny. But he is The Doctor, so I forgive him.
Hey, fifth doctor until doctor eight had to go without the Sonic Screwdriver so..that kinda balances it out.

Ironsouled

Nov 5, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I'm just going to give an obligatory mention to Monty Python and the Holy Grail's "but then the animator suffered a fatal heart attack". I know it's not annoying in the slightest as they were blatantly taking the piss out of writers who do this sort of thing straight faced, but I always feel a thread about Deus Ex Machina is a poorer place without in being commented on.
Noo...! Ninja'd D:

OT: Every. Single. Magic system. (with about 4 exceptions)

No matter how much power *insertevilmanhere* has, thanks to the fact that you, the Hero have the *magicdoohicky* with the awesome and incredible power to *whateverisplotreleventtokickingbadguyass*, said *magicdoohicky* will allow you to prevail.

Started with the sheathe of Excalibur (Screw you, Mallory, Arthur was better when you left him to the Welsh), and is true in about 95% of fantasy today.

Is it more subtle? Yes. But look, it will be there.

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
Yellow Journalist said:
So what is a deus ex machina? The best example I can think of is the end of Saving Private Ryan. As a wounded Tom Hanks is ineffectually shooting at an advancing tank with his pistol, it explodes. For one dumb half-second, we wonder if a bullet found some ***** in the armor, igniting the tank's ammunition or fuel supply by some freak ricochet.
My Avatar says hello.

OT: I'm going to have to go with the ending of Superman, you know where he flies around the world to turn time backwards, it's not because of the fact that this defies physics, but because it defies logic, it was only introduced at the last second, and never mentioned again.

In fact whilst I'm at it the ending to Superman 2, the mind erasing kiss, why were we not told that Superman could do this before? Why didn't he just snog Zod and Luther so they can forget being villains?

And don't get me started on those glasses. (Although I'm not sure they are Deus Ex Machina.)

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
DeadSp8s said:
Watch any episode of Law and Order. Really...any episode.
This and CSI really use that except that once in a blue moon 2parter/season finale.

linkzeldi

Jun 30, 2010
CM156 said:
Pappytech said:
How did Squall survive the shard of ice to the chest in FFVIII?
Its kind of clearly established in this universe that they have healing magic, so that. I bit of a Deus Ex Machina, but more of a "A Wizard Did It"

What's the most blatant use of deus ex machina you've ever seen?
The Ichigo vs Ulquiorra fight in Bleach. . . In a video game however, it would probably be Final Fantasy VIII, the part where that rocket came out of nowhere.

Charm Offensive

May 24, 2011
Sheaphard117 said:
The James Bond gadgets.

That's not a deus ex machina.

The Bond gadgets are good example of "chekovs gun", which is a rule that states that if a gun (or weapon or item) is to prove important in the third act, it must be talked about in the first act.

In most instances, the Bond gadgets aren't used in the way you'd expect either, which is part of the reason they're such great plot devices.

Sir Boss

Mar 24, 2011
The ending of Blassrieter
you seem to have died, howzabout you let us ghosts of your friends inhabit your body to kick this guy's ass. and yes i know this is our first appearance on screen, during this, the final fight.

already been mentioned but... every bleach episode ever.

Pappytech

Invested all my Souls into Res
Jun 7, 2011
Yellow Journalist said:
Out of the above examples, none of the ones I'm familiar with are true dei ex machina. Yeah, that's right, I declined the Latin noun correctly. Or at least attempted to, it's been a long time since I took Latin. If that strikes you as pretentious, probably don't read the rest of this post.

The OP correctly defines a deus ex machina as a "plot device whereby a seemingly inextricable problem is suddenly and abruptly solved with the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability, or object.)"

The HL2 gravity gun surviving disintegration and becoming superpowered doesn't fit as a deus ex machina. Yeah, it takes on new and unexpected powers, but we've been told that the gravity gun was exceptional and revolutionary. And metanarratively, we know the GG is central to the narrative and mechanics because Valve is basically saying "physics OMG LOL" the whole time, and teaching us how to use it in myriad situations and against myriad enemies.

The action movie cliche of a hero succeeding because he's angered by the death of a loved one doesn't qualify either. It's certainly implausible, sappy, and narratively weak - but it's not a deus ex machina. The character and his/her relationship to the hero appeared beforehand, as did the villain's malevolent/murderous tendencies. A "twist", or a new plot development, is not immediately a deus ex machina, even if it feels unearned.

Same goes for James Bond's gadgets - they're introduced well before they're used, and we're made familiar with their properties. It's certainly contrived that the precise situations where these gadgets are most useful emerge so conveniently, but not every contrivance is a deus ex machina.

So what is a deus ex machina? The best example I can think of is the end of Saving Private Ryan. As a wounded Tom Hanks is ineffectually shooting at an advancing tank with his pistol, it explodes. For one dumb half-second, we wonder if a bullet found some ***** in the armor, igniting the tank's ammunition or fuel supply by some freak ricochet. And then a P-51 Mustang soars through the smoke and flame. A jubilant soldier calls the planes "angels on our shoulders."

As dei ex machina go, this actually works pretty damn well. At no point during the final battle were we told that the soldiers could expect relief or air support - we actually get the opposite message. But throughout the movie, Spielberg has told us that war is chaos and randomness. In the opening Omaha Beach scene, whole PT boats get slaughtered before the soldiers even make landfall. One of those men could have been the best soldier in the entire war, but it didn't matter. Sometimes you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time. But sometimes, you get lucky. So Spielberg pulls it off.
Alright, I'm gonna have to give you the gravity gun example. After all, it did turn out to be a very fun gameplay element. Yay Valve :)

And again, I'm gonna have to agree with you about the Saving Private Ryan example. That was one of the best climaxes I've seen in a film, and Spielburg did a great job with it. I also gotta love Hank's reaction to the explosion, as he briefly glances at his pistol before seeing the jet flying overhead. And then he dies :(

When used in either a comedic sense (Monty Python), or in a somewhat plausible way (Bombers in WWII being a good example) deus ex machina works well. The stuff I'm complaining about is when writers get lazy and pull something out of thin air. The bleach example is a great one.

Also, I'm fairly certain that deus is the correct declination. I'm translating it as "God from the Machine" so I use the singular form of deus instead of the plural form dei.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
FFHAuthor said:
Well, I can say 'worst use of Deus Ex Machina' would have to be in Futurama, but that's so bad it's hilarious. Like the Professor just happens to have a convenient doomsday device
The Professor is a mad scientist. All mad scientists are required to have at least 3 Doomsday devices, it's in the handbook.

One of the bad ones I have seen is the last series of Stargate Atlantis, in the last eps they discover the ship has an instantaneous transportation system that allows them to get to earth in time to save it.

Yeah series 5 was the last and they needed a quick way to end it, but it was just lazy and bad writing.

Feodoric

Nov 21, 2009
DaHero said:
Foxblade618 said:
Tuesday Night Fever said:

Hand down the shark-repellant Batspray!
OK, you almost win. But you made me think about something from the same movie - "Thank goodness for that dolphin who sacrificed himself to save us from that torpedo" -paraphrased
I think it was a porpoise but I get your point, that's closer than anything.
Or how about the Anti-Blast Bat-Powder?