Worst Video Game Tutorial

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Gundam GP01 said:
Dragonlayer said:
And there really is no excuse for not having a functional pause button when playing offline; I shouldn't have to retreat ten miles and hide in a corner because I need to go make dinner From Software.
Okay, the rest I can kinda get but this is just dumb.

The games practically autosaves every damn step you take, AND the option to quit back to the main menu is called "Save and quit."

If you have thing you need to pause for, then quit the damn game. You will literally be in the exact same spot you were standing in when you load back in.
But why do you need to do that? Yeah it is functionally the same as a pause button, but given you /can/ do that, why not just have a pause button, rather than forcing the player to go through menus and a loading screen there and back, just because he wants to go for a piss?

SquallTheBlade said:
insaninater said:
dark souls 1 on the PC is pretty bad. Doesn't get much worse than giving you the controls for a different damn system.
What was bad about it? It explains the controls and most mechanics of the game(not all like weapon scaling) without breaking the flow of the game. That's an achievement in my opinion. Developers should learn from it.
It tells you the xbox controls (which means it /doesn't/ tell you the controls)and that is it. It doesn't explain jack shit about the mechanics of the game. Having to check the bindings menu for all the controls, because the controls the game tells you are wrong is clearly sodding breaking flow, isn't it?

SquallTheBlade said:
And if you were playing the game with keyboard and mouse you can rebind all the keys in the menu so that kind of explains all the controls.
Or the Developers could've not been incredibly fucking lazy and changed the tutorial prompts to the PC controls and not just left it?

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
elvor0 said:
It tells you the xbox controls (which means it /doesn't/ tell you the controls)and that is it.
Which should be enough because you are most likely going to play the game with a controller.

It doesn't explain jack shit about the mechanics of the game.
Give me an example of a mechanic that it doesn't explain and which you couldn't figure out. Other than weapon scaling because that I can admit it doesn't explain at all.

Having to check the bindings menu for all the controls, because the controls the game tells you are wrong is clearly sodding breaking flow, isn't it?
Okay true but that's what you get for playing the game without a controller.

Or the Developers could've not been incredibly fucking lazy and changed the tutorial prompts to the PC controls and not just left it?
Just play with a controller.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
SquallTheBlade said:
elvor0 said:
It tells you the xbox controls (which means it /doesn't/ tell you the controls)and that is it.
Which should be enough because you are most likely going to play the game with a controller.

It doesn't explain jack shit about the mechanics of the game.
Give me an example of a mechanic that it doesn't explain and which you couldn't figure out. Other than weapon scaling because that I can admit it doesn't explain at all.

Having to check the bindings menu for all the controls, because the controls the game tells you are wrong is clearly sodding breaking flow, isn't it?
Okay true but that's what you get for playing the game without a controller.

Just play with a controller.
Stop just saying the same thing, you're just validating a developer being being shoddy and lazy.

The very fact that I /can/ play with a controller doesn't excuse the controls being total dogshite. Don't excuse the developer for being lazy, they didn't try at all. If you're going to release a game on the PC, the very least you can do is make sure the its native controls work properly. It is a game I purchased for the PC, I shouldn't NEED to go buy a controller to have a reasonable experience. Nevermind that awful inventory UI. Whoever designed that should be shot.

On mechanics, it would easier to just say none. There is no mechanic they do explain, so I can't give you an example of something they don't. I'm not being facitious, I honestly do NOT remember having any core mechanics of the game explained to me.

Weapon scaling, the Magic System, what any of the sodding icons mean in the inventory, the crafting system is a complete crapshoot unless you check the wiki (which isn't a validation by the way), the poise system, /any/ indication of how important humanity is, just off the top of my head. Again, the very fact that I am astute enough to figure most of the game out(still had to dick about on wikis for certain things though), doesn't validate the game being completely devoid of anything resembling some sort of vague tutorial system, someone might not be astute enough, or just newer to those types of games; lacking the years of experience a lot of gamers have when diving into a new game.

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
elvor0 said:
The very fact that I /can/ play with a controller doesn't excuse the controls being total dogshite.
But they are fine with a controller.

Don't excuse the developer for being lazy, they didn't try at all. If you're going to release a game on the PC, the very least you can do is make sure the its native controls work properly.
You mean controller? Playing on a PC is not a excuse to not play with a controller games that require one.

It is a game I purchased for the PC, I shouldn't NEED to go buy a controller to have a reasonable experience.
I'd say you should. Using a controller makes most games much better(not including FPSs, RTSs or MOBAs)

Nevermind that awful inventory UI. Whoever designed that should be shot.
What's wrong with it? I never had any difficulty.

I'm not being facitious, I honestly do NOT remember having any core mechanics of the game explained to me.
Bonfires, humanity/hollow, Estus Flasks are some of the first things that are being explained that come to mind.

Weapon scaling, the Magic System, what any of the sodding icons mean in the inventory, the crafting system is a complete crapshoot unless you check the wiki (which isn't a validation by the way), the poise system, /any/ indication of how important humanity is, just off the top of my head. Again, the very fact that I am astute enough to figure most of the game out(still had to dick about on wikis for certain things though), doesn't validate the game being completely devoid of anything resembling some sort of vague tutorial system, someone might not be astute enough, or just newer to those types of games; lacking the years of experience a lot of gamers have when diving into a new game.
I never looked for wiki about crafting. The first blacksmith explains everything you need to know about crafting if you just talk to him.

Merchants that sell magic related stuff explain everything you need to know about magic.

Honestly, did you even talk to the NPCs at all? They tell you a lot of useful stuff.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
The souls games has little in the ways of tutorials, but those games get a pass because that's the nature of the games. Also, I'm a raging fanboy. But worst tutorial has to be the Witcher 2. Before you even have any idea of how the combat works, you're thrown into veritable noob grinder, instantly outnumbered by enemies that kill you in a few hits. And that's not even the only offense of the tutorial. In a subsequent segment, you're on a burning bridge that practically instakills you unless you do the correct thing immediately. And there's enemies on the bridge that prevents you from doing just that. AND I'M STILL NOT DONE. Then there's a sudden quicktime event, without warning, that instakills you if you fail to react. I have never died that many times in a fucking tutorial before. For such a great game, I've no idea how they managed to fuck up a tutorial that bad. It's much better now, but it was pure shit at release.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Grand Theft Auto V (specifically from the PC version) has one of the worst tutorials I played in recent memory.
My experience:

On foot tutorial, spoiler for length
The first prompt it gives you - press back on the 360 pad to enter first person. I have an Xbone controller, so that button isn't there (granted this one is nitpicky, but I don't know if it defaults to 360 icons for any plugged in controller, which could be a problem with logitechs).
Aim at the people to have them back away - doesn't say how to aim.
I open up the controller bindings, because there's no manual. The controls rotate fairly quickly between on foot, cars, and planes. Good luck getting a grasp on that.
Next prompt - call the bomb. No prompt for what to press. I get lucky and hit A.
Next - get the money. No button prompt. I guess X. Jump into the air suddenly. I press A. It works.

The swapping character mechanic is explained well, slows down time, and puts you in a "high pressure but not" situation. Thank you.

Gunfight against the police. Explains cover decently, but doesn't work well in first person. Doesn't explain how to leave cover for the first few minutes, so I feel like I'm popping off randomly. Police have decent AI - will shoot you, but you have to intentionally kill yourself. Allows you to swap characters, further exploring that mechanic.
Main problem - game starts throwing guys at you at a distance, but doesn't bother to explain iron sights.
The gunfight isn't to bad though, and the tutorial seems to have become sensible.

Driving tutorial:
Rockstar Employee 1: "Hey, you know how we have a kind of awkward semi-realistic, semi-arcade driving system with a variety of cars all with different handling and acceleration? Let's have the player learn to drive in a fast sports car, in crowded traffic, with terrible handling, and put prompts in the upper left of the screen away from the center of the road."

Rockstar Employee 2: "Okay, but how about we add in a "tracking" ability that whips the camera (and the steering) around unnecessarily, have multiple hairpin turns before telling the player how to brake or even use the handbrake, and have the player be forced to follow an NPC the whole time."

Rockstar Employee 1: "Sure, but let's have the route get called out by the NPC, but only on every third turn. And have the NPC drive slower than the player at top speed, requiring the player to awkwardly slow down or fail the mission for getting ahead of the NPC in what is set up as a race, or fail it for turning away from an incredibly arbitrary race that has no clear path. Oh, and then they have to escape cops in a crowded, cramped map of the central city, that is also not centered on the screen at all, and require the player to keep track of the magically spawning cops on their little GPS. We want them to crash"

Advanced driving activities:
Okay, so now you've had to drive to the new mission, and probably figured out basic driving systems in a much more reasonable, readily available car. Now you have to chase someone on a motorcycle down. This person does not follow a set path.
You are encouraged to shoot at the person throughout the high speed chase. In relatively dense urban traffic. The prompt to shoot is, again, in the upper left hand corner, away from the screen (And action's) center. There is no pause or time slow down to introduce the new mechanic. A mechanic that requires three buttons to be pressed, all while driving with the sticks.
The biker makes sudden, quick turns, so it's difficult to line up a shot on the bike that can swerve through cars. Luckily, you can just hit him with your car and knock him off the bike (not explained in game).

I'd never played a GTA game for a long period before, and the tutorial was just terribly mangled. This is the fifth main entry in a franchise, and the third main 3D one. They've had time to get tutorials done right, but there was very much a "read the manual" feel to it - the issue being that the game doesn't come with a manual. The mechanics are awkward enough that you can't assume new people know the controls, but the game doesn't take any effort to teach them in a meaningful way. They make sense and work well after spending hours in the world, but GTAV does nothing to smooth out the transition. SR3 does the action packed heist tutorial far better, and came out years before even the last gen GTAV.

TL;DR: GTAV focuses on flashy, exciting sequences rather than teaching the game, turning cool moments into frustrating and irritating early-game experiences.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
Witcher 1 in regards to its alchemical system, and Witcher 2 just in general.

Also what i call: WHAT THE HELL IS A TUTORIAL? -the devs probably