Worst Videogame Ending Ever

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Worst Videogame Ending Ever

The guys debate which has a worse ending Grand Theft Auto III or Final Fantasy VII.

Read Full Article

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Nice you mentioned FFVII and its bad ending. However, you never mentioned why it was a bad ending. The reason was that wasn't supposed to be the ending. The game was running long and marketing demanding it be published soon. So they pick the latest boss they were working on as the final boss slapped the ending on and went to print. I wish I had the source for this because it was revealed in a inside look interview way back.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
FF VII's was horrible because they ran out of time. Even if they hadn't admitted it since it's pretty patently obvious that it's a 'whoops, uh, here's an ending.' On the other hand, then it turned out to be wildly profitable for them since everyone was too busy looking at the graphics and then they could milk the non-ending for a dozen spin-offs and CG videos.

GTA III didn't offend me so much, it just surprised me. 'Wait, that was the last mission? The credits are rolling?' Then I went back to blowing things up.

I have to agree with Dan here. Actively hostile ending ('haw haw you played for 80 hours and here's your payoff') is worse than road-bump non-ending where I didn't care about the plot.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
medv4380 said:
Nice you mentioned FFVII and its bad ending. However, you never mentioned why it was a bad ending. The reason was that wasn't supposed to be the ending. The game was running long and marketing demanding it be published soon. So they pick the latest boss they were working on as the final boss slapped the ending on and went to print. I wish I had the source for this because it was revealed in a inside look interview way back.
oldtaku said:
FF VII's was horrible because they ran out of time. Even if they hadn't admitted it since it's pretty patently obvious that it's a 'whoops, uh, here's an ending.' On the other hand, then it turned out to be wildly profitable for them since everyone was too busy looking at the graphics and then they could milk the non-ending for a dozen spin-offs and CG videos.
See, that doesn't make any sense to me, because where was the plot going to go that it didn't go? Was Square just going to include several more failed attempts to get into the crater? I don't feel like they left any questions unanswered, other than why Sephiroth wanted to "become a god." But that answer seems to be "because he's a JRPG villain."

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
medv4380 said:
oldtaku said:
See, that doesn't make any sense to me, because where was the plot going to go that it didn't go? Was Square just going to include several more failed attempts to get into the crater? I don't feel like they left any questions unanswered, other than why Sephiroth wanted to "become a god." But that answer seems to be "because he's a JRPG villain."
I'm not saying that what they did was leave a bunch of loose ends that weren't tied off, but that the ending cut scene and your fight with Sephiroth don't exactly mesh well. Now I'm basing it off of an interview where they said that marketing was pressuring them to actually ship, and if they said "finish this game we ship next week" then you're doing to make a best effort to at least make it look like an ending.

Think of it this way. The main thing I always thought was unresolved was the two remaining weapons that were activated by, what was it, the planets own defenses, and the ending cut scene where you see the city destroyed and in ruins. I couldn't figure out if the city was saved from meteor or not form that last scene.

Since they admitted that the ending was rushed I figure you beat Sephiroth, stopped Meteor, but the Planet wouldn't stop the remaining Weapons and the "Final" boss would have been the remaining weapons and or the Planet. Being rushed all they did was make the last two weapons Optional fights and turned Sephiroth into the last boss. Leaving the player to assume why the city was in ruins in the final scene.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
medv4380 said:
I just figured the ending made it pretty clear that even though the lifestream did... something to Meteor (I agree, the cutaway at that moment was a bad choice), Midgar still took quite a beating and was thus left in ruins.

Aug 25, 2009
I laugh when people tell me that Mass Effect 3 has one of 'the worst endings in videogame history ever' because they clearly have shorter memories than goldfish.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, the first Tomb Raider game on PSX, Soul Caliber IV, Medieval II: Total War, KoToR II, X-Men Legends II, and that's all fairly modern games with unbelievably crappy endings.

And don't even try and argue that it was about ambiguity, because when it's another game that presents itself as more 'arty' you'll defend it to the death. What the fuck is actually happening at the end of ICO, or Shadow of the Colossus? Sure there are fan theories out there and a lot of supporting evidence for some of them in the games, but are we ever actually told what is happening?

Remember Metal Gear Solid 2? Remember the shit storm gamers kicked up over that fucking ending? Did that just suddenly get downgraded from 'most disappointing ending ever' because Mass Effect didn't give each of you an individual blowjob from Jen Hale and a congratulatory handshake from Casey Hudson?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
MelasZepheos said:
Mick Golden Blood said:
First, its hilarious that these two posts are right next to each other. Second, neither of you actually paid attention to what thread you're posting on, did you? This had literally nothing to do with Mass Effect 3 apart from small mentions in each argument's first paragraph.

OT: I've never really cared about Grand Theft Auto, and even less so about the stories in that series, but my eleven year old mind never really had any issues understanding Final Fantasy VII's ending. I always figured it had a typical "They saaaaaaved the world!" ending and everyone came out okay.

As for other games mentioned in the article, I'd honestly need to go with God of War as my own pick. The series had no reason to exist past its first installment, which was the only time Kratos was even remotely relatable. After that he was morphed into a cartoonish, psychopathic caricature of himself that only existed for once purpose and was, quite frankly, terrible at achieving that purpose. And the fact that yet another God of War game is being released just. . . really makes me sigh.

EDIT: Actually, while we're on the subject of Final Fantasy endings, I'd like to see an explanation as to how VII, which ostensibly ended with "The bad guy loses" is any worse of an ending than VIII's, which essentially threw nightmare-fuel at you and then said "Whelp, it's over!"

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I do not see Psi-Ops or Republic commando. People who make cliffhanger game endings and then go out of business should be dragged from their homes and forced to finish the damn story!

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Sephiroth is one of those bosses you get just before the real boss. I'm fairly sure the 'real' ending would have involved fighting a gigantic Jenova incarnation. And would have showed just how the Meteor was stopped after you fought your way through a space dungeon. Probably on the space ship that Jenova originally crashed into Midgard on a few thousand years ago after Sephiroth re-launches it. That's just the way JPRGs rolled!

I think you can make a pretty good argument that the Sephiroth the party encounters is never the original Sephiroth at all (except in the flashback), just one of Jenova's incarnations, which also explains the drive to 'become' a god (he's an alien god's avatar). So this would have been revealed, cue transformed god-boss fight.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Actually, this whole FF7 thing reminds me that Knights of the Old Republic 2's ending (as shipped) was even worse. A whole tangle of carefully built subplots, characters, and relationships just tossed out the window because they ran out of time.

The only thing that redeems it is that they included the original ending scripts on the game disk and some very dedicated fans released a mod that restored it.

Felipe Nurwandi

Oct 30, 2011
The ending of Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 was pretty bad.

All seriousness though; Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
MelasZepheos said:
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, the first Tomb Raider game on PSX, Medieval II: Total War
Those are all very, very bad. I don't think anything could take my mind off how bad the endings were when I played them.

MelasZepheos said:
blowjob from Jen Hale
Okay, almost anything.

OT: FF7s was ok, wasn't it? I'm disappointed with most GTA endings.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Neither (GTA 3 and FF 7) were that terrible, IMO. Rushed, yes... Terrible, no.

Games with awful endings are quite often... and no, Mass Effect 3 ending doesn't count. Anyone that says ME3 either: plays one game a year or, has been a game for 2 years.

You want awful endings? How about Borderlands, Rage, Ghostbusters, Bionic Commando, Ghosts & Goblins?

How about Half Life 2: Episode 2? You know what is worst than an underwhelming ending? One that was set as a huge cliffhanger, NEVER to be answered again.

MelasZepheos said:
Remember Metal Gear Solid 2? Remember the shit storm gamers kicked up over that fucking ending? Did that just suddenly get downgraded from 'most disappointing ending ever' because Mass Effect didn't give each of you an individual blowjob from Jen Hale and a congratulatory handshake from Casey Hudson?
Thanks.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
Conglaturation!

You Have Completed A Great Game. And Prooved The Justice of our Culture.

Now Go And Rest Our Heroes!

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Well, with RAGE it took me a while to realize that I was actually watching the end clip. That was the moment I really did feel some rage creep up on me, and I thought that was really meta and artsy.

I expected some sort of DLC, though. It never came.

Most games these days seem to have crap and rushed endings.

Take Driver: San Francisco, a game I truly enjoyed -
Where does the guy Jericho freed go in Driver: San Francisco? All of a sudden, he did no longer matter and just went poof. BANG! GAME'S OVER. YOU WON! SEE YA!

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
MelasZepheos said:
Mick Golden Blood said:
First, its hilarious that these two posts are right next to each other. Second, neither of you actually paid attention to what thread you're posting on, did you? This had literally nothing to do with Mass Effect 3 apart from small mentions in each argument's first paragraph.

-snip-

EDIT: Actually, while we're on the subject of Final Fantasy endings, I'd like to see an explanation as to how VII, which ostensibly ended with "The bad guy loses" is any worse of an ending than VIII's, which essentially threw nightmare-fuel at you and then said "Whelp, it's over!"
Did you not see the constant references to ME3 through out the video? It was clearly aimed at qualities of the ME3 ending without coming out and saying it.

I remember really liking the ending to 7 and was confused when it was called bad in the video. I think he just missed something. Personally i loved FF8, never understood the hate, with the exception of selphie all the characters are both balanced yet flawed giving them greater depth then 7's characters. The story becomes overly complicated like most FF games but it innovated in game play and the card game was fun. The game was balanced too<with the exception of the "armageddon fist" combo of zells>, staying challenging without making me scream foul.

O.T. wait... what was the topic again? o yea.... GTA 3's ending was worse then FF7's.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Not sure what issue people took with FFVII's ending. Made perfect sense to me. Aerith's death was not in vain, Cloud can move on......until that movie sequel came out and had to fuck that sideways. 200 years later, Midgar is covered in forest, showing that the planet would survive.

The severity of an ending depends on the build-up involved. This is the core reason for Mass Effect 3's controversy, five years is a long time.

MelasZepheos said:
Mick Golden Blood said:
And here we see the another aspect. It depends how well invested you were in the story and how good you thought it was.

The way I see it, me and others were willing to forgive Bioware's gameplay hiccups as long as the story was good. I recall after ME2 I said to myself that Bioware was the best of Western videogame storytelling. But obviously not everyone felt that way, there were those who felt it was "just another sci-fi game."

Of course in today's videogame market, expecting a good ending from any game is akin to hoping that gravity will go away. ME3 was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

For the record, I liked MGS2's ending and would take it over any recent game ending.