Worth Playing Mass Effect 1-3 from Game 1?

Keystone

May 6, 2014
Imo, while playing the trilogy back-to-back-to-back is pretty cool, it's not essential to enjoying the series, nor does it vastly change the available endings. Then again, I'm not one of those gamers who needs to see every secret and get every achievement, so I could see how some would disagree.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
As above - save file editor is probably the best way to get around playing the first game all the way through again and yes, you definitely want to import a save game.

And unfortunately yes, you have to have Origin for ME3 to work. Note that if you get any of the DLC (at a minimum it's strongly recommended that you at least get From Ashes and the Extended Cut) it's effectively got always-online DRM too.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
I'd go so far as to say that ME2 and ME3 aren't worth it at all unless you start from the beginning. Half of the characters are taken out if you don't import saves and you start off with the worst possible outcomes. If you don't import a save, the game just assumes that Shepard was incompetent.

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
So anyone else bothered by the fact that there are unmarked mass effect 3 spoilers in a thread that is about someone who has never played the series before and is considering starting from the very beginning asking for advice? I mean that's kind of a dick move

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Skip the first one and just get the interactive comic that lets you make the big choices. Play the second and the third cause they actually have good combat.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
I would say it's ultimately a question of how willing you are to subject yourself to ME1's terrible combat mechanics, as much as I love the story and character of ME1 that combat system was awful in comparison to the later games. The guns lack any real weight and the cover system is clunky to say the least.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
Sutter Cane said:
So anyone else bothered by the fact that there are unmarked mass effect 3 spoilers in a thread that is about someone who has never played the series before and is considering starting from the very beginning asking for advice? I mean that's kind of a dick move
I'd say it's more of a dick move to not spoil it.

Do not play Mass Effect 3. Just pretend that the entire development team died in a plane crash before they could make the later games, and you'll be much happier.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Ignore the last ten minutes of ME3 and play Citadel as headcanon. It makes sense and doesn't run into ass pulls Mac and Drew made.

On the topic proper, if you intend to play the trilogy then imported save is mandatory for the, aforementioned, half of cast and Shepard's competence.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
I guess when it comes to ME3 DLC, I noticed that playing with both the Leviathan and Extended Cut DLC actually makes the ending make abit more sense... somewhat. Probably the best you'll ever get for a satisfying ending for it at any rate.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Realitycrash said:
I once finished Mass Effect, and thought to myself; "Eh, it was a decent game. The combat was a tad repetitive, and the AI was dumb as rocks, but overall it was fun."
Then ME2 came out and a completely opted out because I realized how utterly underwhelmed I had been with the first game, in retrospect.
However, I am pondering playing the games back to back, with my save-file carrying over from one to three. However, I would rather avoid playing the first game again, so I have to ask..What you do in the first game, does it have overall THAT much of an inpact in the later games?

Edit: Also, noticed that ME3 isn't on Steam. Does this mean that in order to play ME3 I have to fall in lie with the Dreaded Ass Pirates that are EA and download Origin?
It's not worth it.

If someone was coming in fresh to the series I'd say only play the first one, since you were underwhelmed by the first one I'd say just skip the series all together.

Mass Effect 2 has better combat than the first one, but it doesn't have a satisfying ending. And I wouldn't wish a playthrough of Mass Effect 3 on my worst enemy

Sep 14, 2009
dessertmonkeyjk said:
I guess when it comes to ME3 DLC, I noticed that playing with both the Leviathan and Extended Cut DLC actually makes the ending make abit more sense... somewhat. Probably the best you'll ever get for a satisfying ending for it at any rate.
while I agree to this, that "somewhat" is still a massive kick in the face at so many things in both the first,second,and third game that it still gets me to *sigh* two years later.

OT: while me1 was my favorite game, obviously it was not yours OP, so who knows, you might actually enjoy the third game (the combat isn't bad and the "depth" is leagues ahead of what it was in the second game) minus the abysmal ending.

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
Grumman said:
Sutter Cane said:
I'd say it's more of a dick move to not spoil it.

Do not play Mass Effect 3. Just pretend that the entire development team died in a plane crash before they could make the later games, and you'll be much happier.
I never had to play the original version of the ending, as i waited to pick up ME3, but I felt that the extended cut was adequate. I mean it's still not like the greatest thing ever, but the rest of the game made up for it, and it didn;t outright piss me off like it did some other people. Hell even if I hated the ending with the white hot fury of a thousand suns, it's still not right to spoil unless specifically asked, since tastes vary wildly, and it's kind of a dick move to ruin the ending for someone who could potentially enjoy it.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Realitycrash said:
I once finished Mass Effect, and thought to myself; "Eh, it was a decent game. The combat was a tad repetitive, and the AI was dumb as rocks, but overall it was fun."
Then ME2 came out and a completely opted out because I realized how utterly underwhelmed I had been with the first game, in retrospect.
However, I am pondering playing the games back to back, with my save-file carrying over from one to three. However, I would rather avoid playing the first game again, so I have to ask..What you do in the first game, does it have overall THAT much of an inpact in the later games?

Edit: Also, noticed that ME3 isn't on Steam. Does this mean that in order to play ME3 I have to fall in lie with the Dreaded Ass Pirates that are EA and download Origin?
A lot. And if you don't carryover, the game gives you the shittiest setup possible. And yes, you'll have to DL Origin for ME3.

And no, it's worth it.

Ravesy

Apr 16, 2012
Surly one of the main drawing points of mass effect is the journey you have with your character, the attachment to the characters and the bonds you make with them over the three games.

With that reasoning I don't see how skipping any one, let alone the first one of the series should be something that anyone recommends.

Play from the start, smile like a schoolboy at the mass effect goodness all the way through, then cry at the end and tell Bioware/EA to fuck themselves like the rest of us. :).

PPB

May 25, 2009
I went through this last summer. I wanted to play the series again while avoiding ME1 because I didn't have good memories of it. I ended up playing it anyway and much to my surprise I liked it much more than I did back when it came out. I don't think it's a case of nostalgia because I honestly didn't like ME1 all that much originally.

It all comes down to opinions, but having played ME2 and 3 made me appreciate ME1's dialogue system and somewhat slower pace more. And as critical as I was of the Mako and the uncharted worlds, they're much better than ME2's scanning system and most importantly help give the game setting more depth and background. I think ME1 is better at making you feel like you've got a big galaxy to explore. I also think that the story is more enjoyable knowing what is the come in the subsequent games.

I'm not saying the same will happen to you, but I think you should give the game a try again.