Would a chainsaw be a practical weapon in combat?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It really worked well in Silent Hill 2, so it may be a better option than we expect.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
No. Heavy, unwieldy, entirely dependant on fuel to function, easily damaged engine. There are far better ways of making blood fly: these include firearms, normal bladed weapons and sticks and stones.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
If by practical weapon in combat you mean in a video game? Yes. In real life? Not unless you spent your life as a professional user of a chainsaw. They are large, heavy and unwieldy as a horse on crack cocaine to anyone else.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Nope.
Heavy, hard to use, very dangerous, and not effective against something that can move. (Stuff as to stay still to cut it with a chainsaw.)

MONSTERheart

Aug 17, 2009
The only possible benefit I could see from using one would be the intimidation factor, but that's it.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Depends on your opponent. But depends on the chainsaw too, some are pretty hefty and others quite light. When you think about it though, the risk factor of dropping it on your foot or accidentally taking one of your own limbs off, I don't think it's be worth it.

Stick to revolvers.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
No, it totally wouldn't. Chainsaws are heavy, awkward, and if you get involved in any sort of intense combat, you're more likely to hurt yourself than you are anybody else.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Pimppeter2 said:
If it was attached to gun maybe
That would render the gun useless, as it would be unwieldy due to weight, which would affect aim. Unless you where a hybrid man gorilla. Then you wouldn't need the chainsaw to remove limbs, you could just rip them off with your giant over-sized horrific mad scientist created muscles.

Hazardlife

Jul 14, 2009
Only if your intention is to scare the shit out of your enemy.

No one would want to fight a madman with a chansaw, despite how useless it is.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
"We can't have soldiers needing to clean their enemies out of their chainsaw with a toothbrush! It's demoralizing!"

-Some comic I don't remember.

Besides, think of the fuel needed.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
manaman said:
Pimppeter2 said:
That would render the gun useless, as it would be unwieldy due to weight, which would affect aim. Unless you where a hybrid man gorilla. Then you wouldn't need the chainsaw to remove limbs, you could just rip them off with your giant over-sized horrific mad scientist created muscles.

Jory

Dec 16, 2009
Hutchy_Bear said:
Against treemen I imagine it would pose more of a threat than most conventional weapons.
This is a very valid point.

Take care of all those pesky Ents