Would anyone jump ship (leave their country) if they could?

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
Vitor Goncalves said:
Malo_Tux said:
TO ENGLAND! I wanna get outta the states before shit hits the fan.
But shit here in England is already hitting the fan. And the result isnt pretty.
Shit has hit the fan?

The UK has hit the fan

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I've always considered moving to somewhere like Australia from here in the UK. I do love it here, but I'd like to try life somewhere else. So only if I could move back easily as well.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
crepesack said:
Jake Martinez said:
crepesack said:
If there were no financial/language barriers to your moving to another country would you?

My girlfriend and I have pretty much decided on getting the hell out of the US as soon as college is done with...where we'll go? Probably Japan or Canada...
You'll never get into Japan. It just won't happen unless you marry a Japanese, so give that one up.

I moved to Australia a few years ago. Didn't really care to at the time, but I am married to an Australian woman and that's just kind of how it went...

To be perfectly honest, I'm glad I did. The Australian economy is super hot right now and the US economy is in the crapper. I've already bought 2 rental properties back in the US with my snazzy Australian dollars and I'm looking for a third.
Not when you've both got PHDs. Oh and I'm prepared for a long wait for naturalization and on top of that I've got family there.
Look, I hate to bust your bubble, but really - it won't happen. I lived there for about 16 months while I was working for a company that shall remain nameless... the topic of conversation amongst every single gaijin I met was the same - Inability to get a Japanese visa and/or immigrate to Japan.

I would highly recommend visiting this link if you are considering academic work in Japan - http://www.debito.org/whattodoif.html#academicjob

Also I would recommend visiting the rest of that site. It's filled with lots of good practical information and most of it is accurate and up to date.

Anyway, I will say this as succinctly as I can: Japan does not want you. If you can accept that, and fight against it anyway, then you may have a chance of immigrating. But then, you'll have to live with the fact that you're living in a country that literally does not want you there.

I love visiting Japan, I've got lots of good friends there. But it is not a place that welcomes forgieners at all. Be warned.

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
Vitor Goncalves said:
Malo_Tux said:
TO ENGLAND! I wanna get outta the states before shit hits the fan.
But shit here in England is already hitting the fan. And the result isnt pretty.
Shit has hit the fan?

The UK has hit the fan

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
Well I live in Greece and I'd like to get the hell out as soon as I'm out of high school. Where to? England, Australia, Bulgaria or Germany would be nice.
Wait, Bulgaria?! You really want to jump from the frying pan to the fire?! Pick germany or Australia.

commodore96

Aug 31, 2010
My grandpa is from the Patmos Island in Greece. I mean going there would be really cool and I could always be a fisherman.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
I'd love to move abroad after my Masters, but from what I can gather immigration isn't easy if you're disabled.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I fear driving so much that I would rather move and maybe even learn a new language instead of deal with it. Problem is that every country is having financial problems (as far as I can tell) and I'm not sure where to go. Any ideas?

kinapuffar

Nov 26, 2010
I'm going to Japan to be an interpreter.
I want to live in Italy some day too, maybe Greece, France...

It's not that I dislike Sweden. It's just that there's an entire planet I haven't seen yet. Why would I ever stay in the same place forever?
My viking blood is telling me to set sail for foreign lands! And plunder! Mostly plunder!

shadow_Fox81

Jul 29, 2011
No.
Australia may be cultural mashed potato compared to most otehr places but it really is a fantastic place to live, i have mountains in my back yard its great. and you know what politics really doesn't matter its like pepsi and coke our parties are so afraid of losing voters they act alike. the schooling systems are great the air is clean the people are great there is so much of the place thats empty its mind boggling.

(my only problem is the arts are treated poorly)

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
As soon as I get whatever science degree I want (computer science, medicine...), I'm getting the fuck out of France. I hate this bloody country, and I'd like my offspring to avoid the old, crap-filled and dirty streets, the rotten and segregative society that rendered so many outsiders embittered and defensive, and also this horrendous schooling system.

I'm really thinking about the schooling. Never, I mean NEVER, would I want my children to endure these dull, pointless and boring classes from 8.30am to 6.30pm, and especially not the forced Philosophy, Art, Music and Literature classes in middle school, and the lack of proper Informatics classes (what the hell? we're in 2011 for fuck's sake!). I wouldn't wish on anyone else, especially my family, to suffer classes about <url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Racine>Jean Racine's 17th Century drama plays, created solely to please ever-worshipped, megalomaniac, blind faith-driven dictator monarch Louis XIV's court of inbred, clueless, smug-filled, aristocratic shitheads.

Then, another thing I dislike: getting taxed 20% of your salary to pay the salaries of several million functionaries who don't even do their damn jobs (and always go on fake sick leaves), and for the social aid of several hundred thousand lazy bums who never even searched for a new work in years, is just unacceptable and enraging. (Don't get me wrong here, I know functionaries are important, but in France, they abuse sick leaves and most of them don't do their jobs. I also know the people applying for social aid are mostly looking for work, but also in France, a lot of them turn down about every single job offer they get.)

Now, talking about jobs, people who have very useful degrees (engineering, medicine, chemical major) and get such related jobs (chemical or aerospace engineer, brain surgeon, researcher), barely get paid for jack shit and get taxed a lot. An engineer straight out of school in other countries gets a much bigger first paycheck than a French one. In comparison, the French Minister of Education can't solve a simple mathematical problem asked by a journalist.
Here's how it went:
"If 15 pens cost 20 Euros, how much is 20 pens?" the journalist asks.
The minister starts thinking for about two straight minutes, and then blurts out, sure as a cock:
"20 pens would be 17 Euros."
Yeah, I'm not kidding. And this guy is Minister of Education.

What I'm thinking about is a country where you're not getting taxed so much, where children get more useful stuff to learn and less bullshit in schooling. I heard Australia and Canada were pretty cool with that, and Engineers/Doctors get paid a lot.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
No.

I love my country. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It's not perfect, but no country is. But that's why laws and such can be changed, and we vote people into/out of office every so often.

Now, that's not to say that I wouldn't visit or even live in another country for a little bit, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere other than the US as my real home.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
James Crook said:
snip for space.
I certainly hope you weren't thinking about moving to the US then. Granted, if you put your future child/children into private school, the education is much better and well rounded. We have our issues like every country, but I live here, so I'm a little biased. XD

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Yeah Canada. Totally. If I wasn't tied down here. I have lots of family out there and have visited several times, it's wonderful. I've always been left with a profound sense of peace and tranquility, whereas the States has always left me with a profound sense of depression (not in the financial sense, this was before all that) even though I did have a lot of fun there.

Or if I couldn't go that far, then the Netherlands. I love the continental culture, and of all the European languages I've been exposed to (French, Spanish, German) Dutch seems like the easiest for me to learn.

Russia would be great too, but the political situation there kind of rules it out for me.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
shadow_Fox81 said:
(my only problem is the arts are treated poorly)
I often wonder if there's a place where the arts aren't treated poorly. I'm not much into them myself, but I recognize their importance. It's a shame when fine art goes unappreciated, and some of the stuff now is...well, it's modern art, and I can't say that I'm a fan. Art and performance pieces, the modern stuff just annoys me. XD

May 25, 2010
Vitor Goncalves said:
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
Well I live in Greece and I'd like to get the hell out as soon as I'm out of high school. Where to? England, Australia, Bulgaria or Germany would be nice.
Wait, Bulgaria?! You really want to jump from the frying pan to the fire?! Pick germany or Australia.
Have you actually been there?